Steve Clarke's Scotland fixture plea torpedoed by Hampden chiefs as proposal fails to reach top-flight clubs

'The biggest fixture in a generation'

Birthday card pish, no doubt written by Keech Jackson. Israel are shite, the trannies should win that one

St Mirren away is still to confirmed because of this

Our results in Europe will determine when that is played but it could be arrange well in advance i.e Sunday

I don't want any fixtures moved, after 2008 we should never ever assist the national team with moving fixtures.

However, what CEO just ignores the manager and doesn't even ask.

It shows just what the SFA think of Clarke which is pleasing.
After what was dished out to Rangers in 2008 we should be giving zero help to anyone in Scottish football, go suck on your sporting integrity you rancid bastards!

Scotland haven't earned this kind of extra help. Fans are completely uninspired by the national team. Scotland haven't made anyone feel any kind of hope, or excitement in years. Steve Clarke is the cherry on top of a football misery cake. Stop getting shit results, and maybe you'll get taken more seriously when asking for favours Steve.
Brilliant post mate

Steve Clarke's desperate plea for Friday night fixtures ahead of the crucial Euro 2020 play-offs has been torpedoed by his own Hampden bosses.

Record Sport can reveal Clarke’s proposal to reschedule a raft of top flight matches in the build-up to next month’s semi-final showdown with Israel was discussed on Tuesday at a meeting of the all powerful Professional Game Board at Hampden.

But despite Clarke’s wishes, SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirmed during the meeting he has no plans to table a formal request for any of the Premiership matches to be brought forward - even though it could give as many as 10 Scotland squad members an extra 24 hours of preparation time.

A special Record Sport investigation has revealed Clarke’s big plan hasn’t even been officially discussed with the top 12 clubs. And Maxwell appeared to rule out the prospect entirely as the clock ticks down to Scotland’s date with destiny on Thursday March 26.

A source said: “The whole thing seems be clouded in considerable confusion. Ian was asked yesterday if he had any intention of requesting games are moved to the Friday night. He was quite categorical in his answer when he said the SFA will not be asking for a Friday night card.” Instead, Maxwell is understood to have repeated his earlier request that no Premiership matches are staged on the Sunday ahead of the semi-final clash with the Israelis. But Maxwell is aware that can only be agreed if neither Celtic nor Rangers make it through to the last 16 of the Europa League.

Clarke first floated the idea of creating a Friday night card during a meeting with the top flight clubs four weeks ago.

He wants the matches between Motherwell and Kilmarnock, Hearts and Ross County and Livingston and Aberdeen all brought forward along with Hamilton’s home clash with HIbs. All of these games are currently scheduled to kick-off at 3pm on Saturday March 21. Clarke had hoped that subsequent arrangements could then be thrashed out should Celtic and/or Rangers fail to extend their respective European campaigns by making it out of the last 32 over the course of the next eight days. Celtic are at home to St Johnstone with Rangers away at St Mirren the same weekend.

Clarke said at the time: “I did a question and answer for the SPFL and I actually threw in the fact they could play the card on the Friday night. Whether they do or whether they don’t, I don’t know. There was no real response. I just want them to be sensible.”

But it’s understood Maxwell failed to follow up on that by formalising a specific request during discussions with his SPFL counterpart Neil Doncaster on Hampden’s sixth floor. One club source said: “We would have been more than happy to accommodate given the importance of this game but nobody has asked us and it seems too late now.” Hamilton Accies boss Brian Rice added: “We need to do everything we can to help Steve Clarke and Scotland qualify for this tournament.”

Maxwell told Record Sport recently: “We asked for no games to be played on the Sunday beforehand because players would then be unavailable to train until the Tuesday or Wednesday. All I said to Neil was, ‘Could you speak to the broadcasters and make sure there’s no game on the Sunday? They can play on the Friday or Saturday’. We’ll see what happens but we’d like to think they’ll help us out.” But Maxwell has made no demand for those games that can be re-arranged to be moved as a matter of urgency despite the huge importance of the occasion.

The clash with Israel is the biggest fixture in a generation as Scotland look to move to within just 90 minutes of a first major finals appearance in 22 years by setting up a one-off, winner-takes-all showdown against Norway or Serbia.

Israel have cancelled domestic league fixtures ahead of the March 26 clash at Hampden with boss Andreas Herzog taking his players to a training camp in the north of England to give them the best chance of victory. Clarke has already accepted that there is no possibility of scrapping the full Premiership card with the fixture list already crammed and that he is helpless to prevent when English-based players feature that week

Glasgow is one of 12 host cities for this summer’s Euro 2020 and Hampden supremo Maxwell admitted the prospect of not being involved is “horrendous”. He added: “We’d still put on a show, of course, but we don’t want to be watching someone else at the National Stadium and thinking, ‘It should have been us’.”
Fck steve clarke and the SFA

Our goalie has told them where to stick it, our back line is in eligible, Ryan Jack gets in to prevent Clarke looking a bigger dick than he does already, of the rest, only Jones & Stewart qualify but they don’t have enough game time.

This is before we get on to things like fcuking us over before Manchester.

Why would we want to postpone a game to help that lot of charlatans.
Jones?

Can’t blame Steve Clarke for asking the question. Can blame the authorities for allowing such congestion in the first place otherwise we could have accommodated the fixtures elsewhere for a complete rest.

The SFA deserve and must get the same level of cooperation they gave us in 2008. Feck them

There’s a tiny tiny part of me feels guilty for not caring about the Scottish national side any more. I honestly wouldn’t be able to name 5 of the regular players in the national team (other than Jack if he can be called a regular). This is coming from someone who was as patriotic as the next man, years ago. It’s more than just the SFA that has made me like this, it’s the SNP too. The tweets from that little rat when Hibs won the Scottish cup congratulating them, the constant digs at us from SNP MSP’s, the way we are refereed compared to ‘other’ teams, the treatment of Morelos etc etc. I’m at the stage where I will only discuss football with other Rangers fans, I will not engage in anything football with anyone else unless they are from somewhere other than Scotland. The exception to this of course is limited to guys like Academical who post on here and seems like a thoroughly nice guy and doesn’t hate us, yet supports another team. Sadly in Scotland he’s one of a dying breed. I take no pleasure at all in stating that I’m quietly content when I see the national side regularly pumped every time they play, the small pleasures I get from seeing the greeting saltire-painted faces almost makes up for the pain we’ve had to endure during the previous years. I can’t see these feelings ever changing, which isn’t something I’m overly proud of, but it’s a fact.

Absolutely agree that we have no reason to feel that we should help given the way we were treated in 2008. Also, I have no idea what practical difference them joining up on Saturday morning rather than Saturday evening would achieve.

However, be aware that the failure to accede to his request/demand is part one of the excuse/reason that Clarke failed to carry through what Alex McLeish started.

Steve Clarke's desperate plea for Friday night fixtures ahead of the crucial Euro 2020 play-offs has been torpedoed by his own Hampden bosses.

Record Sport can reveal Clarke’s proposal to reschedule a raft of top flight matches in the build-up to next month’s semi-final showdown with Israel was discussed on Tuesday at a meeting of the all powerful Professional Game Board at Hampden.

But despite Clarke’s wishes, SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirmed during the meeting he has no plans to table a formal request for any of the Premiership matches to be brought forward - even though it could give as many as 10 Scotland squad members an extra 24 hours of preparation time.

A special Record Sport investigation has revealed Clarke’s big plan hasn’t even been officially discussed with the top 12 clubs. And Maxwell appeared to rule out the prospect entirely as the clock ticks down to Scotland’s date with destiny on Thursday March 26.

A source said: “The whole thing seems be clouded in considerable confusion. Ian was asked yesterday if he had any intention of requesting games are moved to the Friday night. He was quite categorical in his answer when he said the SFA will not be asking for a Friday night card.” Instead, Maxwell is understood to have repeated his earlier request that no Premiership matches are staged on the Sunday ahead of the semi-final clash with the Israelis. But Maxwell is aware that can only be agreed if neither Celtic nor Rangers make it through to the last 16 of the Europa League.

Clarke first floated the idea of creating a Friday night card during a meeting with the top flight clubs four weeks ago.

He wants the matches between Motherwell and Kilmarnock, Hearts and Ross County and Livingston and Aberdeen all brought forward along with Hamilton’s home clash with HIbs. All of these games are currently scheduled to kick-off at 3pm on Saturday March 21. Clarke had hoped that subsequent arrangements could then be thrashed out should Celtic and/or Rangers fail to extend their respective European campaigns by making it out of the last 32 over the course of the next eight days. Celtic are at home to St Johnstone with Rangers away at St Mirren the same weekend.

Clarke said at the time: “I did a question and answer for the SPFL and I actually threw in the fact they could play the card on the Friday night. Whether they do or whether they don’t, I don’t know. There was no real response. I just want them to be sensible.”

But it’s understood Maxwell failed to follow up on that by formalising a specific request during discussions with his SPFL counterpart Neil Doncaster on Hampden’s sixth floor. One club source said: “We would have been more than happy to accommodate given the importance of this game but nobody has asked us and it seems too late now.” Hamilton Accies boss Brian Rice added: “We need to do everything we can to help Steve Clarke and Scotland qualify for this tournament.”

Maxwell told Record Sport recently: “We asked for no games to be played on the Sunday beforehand because players would then be unavailable to train until the Tuesday or Wednesday. All I said to Neil was, ‘Could you speak to the broadcasters and make sure there’s no game on the Sunday? They can play on the Friday or Saturday’. We’ll see what happens but we’d like to think they’ll help us out.” But Maxwell has made no demand for those games that can be re-arranged to be moved as a matter of urgency despite the huge importance of the occasion.

The clash with Israel is the biggest fixture in a generation as Scotland look to move to within just 90 minutes of a first major finals appearance in 22 years by setting up a one-off, winner-takes-all showdown against Norway or Serbia.

Israel have cancelled domestic league fixtures ahead of the March 26 clash at Hampden with boss Andreas Herzog taking his players to a training camp in the north of England to give them the best chance of victory. Clarke has already accepted that there is no possibility of scrapping the full Premiership card with the fixture list already crammed and that he is helpless to prevent when English-based players feature that week

Glasgow is one of 12 host cities for this summer’s Euro 2020 and Hampden supremo Maxwell admitted the prospect of not being involved is “horrendous”. He added: “We’d still put on a show, of course, but we don’t want to be watching someone else at the National Stadium and thinking, ‘It should have been us’.”
“A special record sport investigation reveals ....” what a load of self important shite.
They were tipped off. Well done guys for not earning your monthly salary.

There’s a tiny tiny part of me feels guilty for not caring about the Scottish national side any more. I honestly wouldn’t be able to name 5 of the regular players in the national team (other than Jack if he can be called a regular.
think scum and you could pick a full team easy. think wanna be scum and you get another few.

Thing is with poor steve's plan is all his keepers play in England as does most of his midfield except for megregor. christie and Broon when he wants to play. apart from nae neck there is only seven other players that are playing top flight in scotland that would be in that squad The token Rangers player Ryan jack

steve clark wants to disrupt Scottish football for maybe six players in his first team and that could include shankland.

never forget 2008

Plenty people that don't care replying to something they don't care about lol.

I don't think it will make a massive difference, I would be very disappointed if we didn't beat Israel anyway, the second game will be much tougher.

Apart from the fact that you wrote "lol" (which is worrying enough in itself. [Really, is it laugh out loud funny?]), why shouldn't people express their view...even if it's just to say "I don't care"?

Imagine an online forum as being similar to sitting around a table in a pub. If someone asks a question, you'd find it a bit weird if people remained silent. If someone wants to respond by expressing their disinterest, fair play to them.

Personally, I'd quite like to see Scotland qualify (purely because it's a host nation)...but it's not going to ruin my year if they don't. As I couldn't name a possible Scottish starting 11 (even if you held a gun to my head), I'm not going to be gutted for the players.

Ironically, as I type this, there's an advert for Euro 2020 tickets through ticketsmarketplace. If only they knew how wasted this ad was on me!

Back