Steve Davis setting the standard Pre Season

Another guy the forum has done a u turn on and you see dafties who were wanting him chased out the club only about 3-4 months ago touting him as our key man. It's hilarious.

The Ballymena Pirlo is by far the best holding midfielder in the country. If we got him into his natural position a lot earlier rather than Gerrard playing him as a box to box midfielder initially we could have won the league. Was one of Gerrards mistakes last season without a doubt.

Tbf I think it took him a bit of time to get up to match fitness.

I said years ago that he is world class. I stand by that. Davis is a Rolls Royce footballer and he's ours.

He's a brilliant footballer and as mentioned previously, seen a turn of pace in him today that I normally wouldn't associate with him. He is a key player.

Unbelievable so far, he has got himself in peak condition over the summer and covered every blade again today. Influencing play back to front, tracking danger. You can only raise your own game and learn from someone of that experience each day. It is no surprise our performances picked up towards the end of last season.. some Players have said already he is phenomenal in the dressing room talking constantly. Once a Captain always Captain material even if he is not wearing the arm band. I think Davo will turn out to be our most important signing in years for what he brings on and off the park.

Totally agree SD ran the show 1st half

Said it previously but I think this season we will now see the best of Davis Arfield and Defoe , at the end of the season run in the 3 of them were a class above we will also benefit having them in amongst the training with the rest of the squad as they are all model professionals and will teach the younger players what it’s all about to play for the famous

Aribo and Ojo look dynamic, creative and exciting.
Arfield is such a goal threat.
Docherty is young, hungry and desperate to be a success.
Jack and Kamara are composed, clever and strong.

But I still think a fully fit and on form Steven Davis is the glue to hold it all together.

We wont have a better chance to nail these cunts than this season. If we can start well and beat them at Ibrox on 31st Aug the pressure ramped up on them they will find intolerable.

Unbelievable so far, he has got himself in peak condition over the summer and covered every blade again today. Influencing play back to front, tracking danger. You can only raise your own game and learn from someone of that experience each day. It is no surprise our performances picked up towards the end of last season.. some Players have said already he is phenomenal in the dressing room talking constantly. Once a Captain always Captain material even if he is not wearing the arm band. I think Davo will turn out to be our most important signing in years for what he brings on and off the park.

Despite a slow start, it was always going to be the way. He will improve every one of our midfielders.

Imagine being Doc or Aribo and training with Davis day to day and having Gerrard as your manager, it really doesn’t get much better.

What a schooling!

As a side point, has Barjonas forced himself into the squad? He’s been given minutes recently.

I was worried about his fitness levels but the role he's playing doesn't look like it'll burn him out. A class act that made us tick throughout the first half and with all due respect, you could tell the difference when Docherty replaced him.

Most underrated player going, players rated in mega millions not as good as him, what Southampton were thinking, god only knows,

He was played out of position, but he wasn’t match fit regardless. He had played hardly any football.
He definitely wasn't fit, i remember him at home to St Mirren and he could hardly string a 5 yard pass together, what a transformation now and he is perfect in that position.

I'm eating a big slice of humble pie after watching that ( and the way he closed the season out) I thought maybe his legs had gone ,but how wrong was I ? Fantastic professional,I realise he was just not up to speed after not playing so much down at Southampton. Great to see Steven Davis in such fine form ,will be a tremendous asset for us this season

His influence off the park will be as important as what he brings on the pitch. Always a great pro. Defoe as well will be setting a great example in the way he conducts himself. no doubt that was a big factor in them coming here

He wasn't just tidy in possession,pinging passes,recycling the ball,he was actually sprinting past opponents to be first to a loose ball up for grabs,

He did it a few times and I was thinking 'Wow,he looks the fittest player on the pitch'

Tremendous display from him.

He’s going to be huge for us this season. Don’t know if my eyes are deceiving me either but he almost looked quicker than ever before today too.

I think the way he is now playing allows him the burst of speed when needed.

Its a long season and Davis will be very important to us, he'll be playing all our big games.

Absolutely delighted that Steven has had a pre-season under his belt.

His experience alone will be the glue that holds us together this season.

He has seen it and done it and worn the t shirt. He will be delighted at the end of the season when we lift #55

Looking forward to seeing stevie really kick on this season. Consummate pro!!

Jack and Davis will always play in the big games take you pick with the others. Most of the others still got to prove themselves. What I mean is tim and sheep games. If they come up trumps we are in for some season.

Is it overreacting to say he looks better now than he did in his last spell?

Not at all

He is more polished and more assured

He’s in total command of his game and he’s bringing up the water level of others

I firmly believe he will prove to be a key man for us this season

Is it overreacting to say he looks better now than he did in his last spell?

Don't think so. Appears to be much better off the ball & defensively - whatever he once lacked in the tackle etc he's now compensating for with his intelligence.

Being brutally honest, I wasn't 100% sold on signing him back permanently but last few games of last season & friendlies/Europa League qualifier so far have been promising.

I’m loving the praise and the optimism, I’ve got loads myself but I always have to try and hold myself back slightly as it’s only ore-season and we are ahead of Marseille in terms of fitness.
I can’t wait until the real stuff starts against half decent opposition , it’s only then we get a true reflection of where we are. The signs however are definitely encouraging.

Great post, he was absolutely cruising yesterday and ran the show! Aribo looks as if he's not even out of second gear yet either.....he's going to be sensational too! So exciting!

Throwing Davis and Defoe into the starting line up at Rugby Park when they were clearly not ready, didn't help matters.

Davis wasn't getting a game for Southampton but was still performing to a high standard on the international stage.

He just wasn't ready to walk into a Rangers side who had just beaten the bheggars and were in a title battle.

To have that game again. But, what's done is done - we move on. Lessons learned.

New season and that's all we need to focus on.

He wasn't just tidy in possession,pinging passes,recycling the ball,he was actually sprinting past opponents to be first to a loose ball up for grabs,

He did it a few times and I was thinking 'Wow,he looks the fittest player on the pitch'

Tremendous display from him.

He was pressing, he was nipping in and winning the ball, sensing danger and just stepping in to prevent opponent taking ball. Just an absolutely flawless midfield performance for the time he was on the park.

The guy is 34 and still covers every blade of grass he's looked after himself well not a leader in the sense he talks to others but you can tell he leads by example in everything he does on and off the pitch

A truly class midfielder mate.

Has the rare ability to dictate the tempo of the game for us and is the best player in his position in Scotland by an absolute country mile.

His legs are gone...

and they have seemingly been replaced by some bionic ones that have made him faster than I ever remember.

There was point in the first half he was chasing back and I thought my stream had sped up. He was rapid.

He was spraying pinpoint passes about like Pirlo. Winning the ball back like Makele.

Him with Kamara and Aribo (or Jack) either side of him gives me a weird sensation. I think it is the feeling of the inevitability of success this season.

A fit Steven Davis is the best midfielder in Scotland, and I’m positive the management team will manage his game time properly.

Why does Steven Davis get called Steve Davis all of a sudden?

But Steven Gerrard still gets called Steven Gerrard?

See where ever the ball is on the pitch he makes himself available to take a pass.him and kamara are the two best passers of the ball in the Scottish premiership.

Back