Steven Davis in Europe

He has been average since the start of the season.
As players grow older and mistakes creep into their game, you always get the fear that you are watching the rot set in.
However, the entire team hasn't exactly been anywhere near as sharp as we know that can be, so it is probably unfair to highlight Steven Davis.
It is a testament to his form last season that when you see him make mistakes it is so noticable.
Bingo, and that’s hard for me to admit as he’s my favorite player in our squad. Unfortunately for us if he doesn’t play well, generally Rangers don’t play well.

He needs to call time on his international career to prolong his club career

Doesn’t play the friendlies these days so it’s maybe about 6 more games during the calendar year.

Don’t think he’s the type to do international retirement, he’s a living legend breaking records for his country by the game.

A bigger problem than how many internationals he’s playing is he is spending more time than he should be clearing up messes made by his teammates. The rest of the midfield need to match his quality, work rate and consistency. If they did Gerrard would be able to use him a bit more selectively.

Scandalous attack on who will be pivotal if we are to win the league.

F*ck the europa if we have sold over 40k 3 match packages we got schooled tonight.

He clearly loves playing for his country and is a record breaking legend for them.

Wish he would call it a day though and rest up during the international breaks but it is his choice.

Admirable of him to have the appetite and desire to keep playing for them but it does us no favours.

As I said, his choice.
Should have been offered the contract extension on the condition he chucked international football.
Why should we have to rest him to keep him fresh then he's away playing for NI.
It's not just the playing for them but the travelling also.

Should have been offered the contract extension on the condition he chucked international football.
What if he’d said “no”?
Have you considered the fall out allowing him to leave would’ve caused?
By the way, playing for NI didn’t stop him being poty last season.

Last edited:
What if he’d said “no”?
Have you considered the fall out allowing him to leave would’ve caused?
By the sap, playing for NI didn’t stop him being poty last season.
No I haven't but at his age he wouldn't have had any better options I reckon.
He's already been heavily involved with NI and I think there are 2 more breaks before Christmas.
I think he will need more rest this season and poty or not, you know how quick the Rangers fans will turn on him, it's already started on here.
This is not a reaction from last night, I posted it in a thread before the season started too.

Wasn't Lundstram meant to be his replacement as a sort of holding midfielder?
Hasn't really panned out so far.

The most capped British player of all time, who’s just won a POTY award.

You think a guy of Gerrard’s class is going to do that, what a nonsense.

The most capped British player of all time, who’s just won a POTY award.

You think a guy of Gerrard’s class is going to do that, what a nonsense.
My opinion mate.
He's in the middle of the park, where we seem to be toiling and so immobile.
Someone said he has played 36 out of 38 games, too much for him.
I think he will toil this year.
Hopefully I'm wrong but he is playing too much.

My opinion mate.
He's in the middle of the park, where we seem to be toiling and so immobile.
Someone said he has played 36 out of 38 games, too much for him.
I think he will toil this year.
Hopefully I'm wrong but he is playing too much.

He was finished a couple of years ago according to most on here.

It was one game against a proper quality side where he wasn't at his best, but who was last night.

I don't think any of our problems this year have been down to Davis' fitness.

Gerrard understands what it means to captain your country, he respects that and so should we.

He was finished a couple of years ago according to most on here.

It was one game against a proper quality side where he wasn't at his best, but who was last night.

I don't think any of our problems this year have been down to Davis' fitness.

Gerrard understands what it means to captain your country, he respects that and so should we.
I never commented on his performance last night or blamed him for this season's problems but the midfield starting 11 needed freshened up as was proved in the Malmo game, who are poor and last night against a very good side.
I think going in to the winter on heavy pitches, playing twice a week it will take a toll on him.

Steven Davis isn't the issue.

Ryan Kent on the other hand, there is something not right.

We are seeing small flashes of him this season but he is nowhere near the level he was at last term.

We need him back at his best.

I never commented on his performance last night or blamed him for this season's problems but the midfield starting 11 needed freshened up as was proved in the Malmo game, who are poor and last night against a very good side.
I think going in to the winter on heavy pitches, playing twice a week it will take a toll on him.

Gerrard will rotate him if others step up to the plate, we've a good few options with Bacuna in and Jack to return.

No chance is the club going to treat Davis like that in terms of international football, and it would show a distinct lack of class if they did, he's more than earned the right to retire from internationals at a time of his own choosing. The training he does will factor it in.

Davis should not be starting every minute of every match. He played every International match, he is flying all over Europe. It is criminal.
Why have young Kelly in the squad if you do not give him a chance. The team is crying out for freshness and legs.

He looked like someone who had played too much football.

The body wouldn’t allow him to do what his mind was telling him to do.

Gerrard will rotate him if others step up to the plate, we've a good few options with Bacuna in and Jack to return.

No chance is the club going to treat Davis like that in terms of international football, and it would show a distinct lack of class if they did, he's more than earned the right to retire from internationals at a time of his own choosing. The training he does will factor it in.
Time will tell.
Hope you are right.

Not his best game tonight but these comments show that you just don't have it, well tonight you don't anyway as this is one of the worst takes on the forum amidst a lot of hysterical overreacting.
I mean he didn’t have it last night, that’s just the truth

Lundstram was good last night for sure,

Davis did look a mile off it, it happens, to say it has been an ongoing theme in Europe ,is, well, it is pish your pants nonsense.

I've been posting for months now that this is the season we should've been looking to phase Davis out. He's an excellent player and has exceeded my expectations since he came back but you can't fight time. He's still the main man in terms of trying to drive us forward from midfield but we need to be ruthless if we wish to maintain our position. I thought Lundstrum had a poor first half and the crowd were getting on his back a few times for missing chances to put us on the front foot and going back instead but after Davis went off I actually thought he looked better. I don't know if it was the fact he stepped up to the plate as he had to accept more responsibility but he looked a better player at that point.

Davis should not be starting every minute of every match. He played every International match, he is flying all over Europe. It is criminal.
Why have young Kelly in the squad if you do not give him a chance. The team is crying out for freshness and legs.
Ssid in another thread i would stsrt Kelly and Patterson on Sunday, Davis and Tav could be still be on the bench if needed. We definately need to freshen things up and these two propects need some games.

Back