Steven Davis included in Northern Ireland squad

Ex bears - Jordan Jones, Jordan Thompson and Shane Ferguson, there too. Tremendous that Davis is still going!.

I don’t begrudge him playing for his national side as it’s clearly something he loves doing and is so proud of what they have achieved. Getting them to a World Cup would arguably be the pinnacle of his career.

Our Scottish players on the other hand…..

He is cutting his game time for us down by playing international football.

He has earned the right to make that choice (to keep playing for his Country) imo. It's up to Steven Gerrard and his national coach to manage the situation properly, to keep getting the best out of him.

Davis, truly is one of the finest professionals to ever wear our shirt imo and we should be proud to see him continuing to be such a fantastic leader for Club and Country.

Personally think the 'I know I'm being selfish....' caveats are needless, on this particular subject as I don't think anyone would genuinely like to see him chuck it, given how much it means to him.

He has earned the right to make that choice (to keep playing for his Country) imo. It's up to Steven Gerrard and his national coach to manage the situation properly, to keep getting the best out of him.

Davis, truly is one of the finest professionals to ever wear our shirt imo and we should be proud to see him continuing to be such a fantastic leader for Club and Country.

Personally think the 'I know I'm being selfish....' caveats are needless, on this particular subject as I don't think anyone would genuinely like to see him chuck it, given how much it means to him.
I don't disagree with any of that mate. Just pointing out the obvious, he can't play every game.

I think playing and captaining his country is what drives him on at this stage of his career.he knows this is his last chance to lead his country to a major final and at the end of the day we benefit from it.what he has achieved in his career up to now it would be incredibly easy for him to put on his slippers and just play out his days as a bit part player for us but that is not who he is as a person or a player.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm incredibly proud that the most capped player in British history plays for Rangers. Long may it continue, and all the best to Steven when it comes to extending his record.

I don't disagree with any of that mate. Just pointing out the obvious, he can't play every game.

Aye, same as anyone at that stage of a career bro.

My post wasn't a dig at you btw, or anyone for that matter, I just think sometimes we need to put ourselves aside for a minute and appreciate Davo for what he has given us and stop there. Many on here don't give a shite about International football, which is fine, that isn't the case for him though.

I think playing and captaining his country is what drives him on at this stage of his career.he knows this is his last chance to lead his country to a major final and at the end of the day we benefit from it.what he has achieved in his career up to now it would be incredibly easy for him to put on his slippers and just play out his days as a bit part player for us but that is not who he is as a person or a player.

I agree.

I think if he just chucked it, as some are claiming the would like him to do, you then lose something from him. As you say, it's not in his make-up and it most definitely benefits, rather than hinders us.

A crazy decision. Bad enough we have lost Ryan Jack thanks to him playing for Scotland over two weeks despite Gerrard warning of the training methods employed there.

I can see it from both sides.
However, Stevie wants to represent his country and it is his decision.
He was tremendous last season for us and represented his country throughout so we can't complain.
His form has been ordinary so far this season, but it is more or less the same for all of our players, so surely it is something deeper than individuals?

If there is one player I don’t hold a grudge playing for his country it’s Davis and I’m club before country but this man has been there every time called upon for his country and it’s something that obviously makes him proud, not bothered one bit.

Potentially could be leading his country out at a World Cup next year, while that’s still a possibility he won’t be quitting
Hopefully if their qualification becomes impossible he will retire then from international football.

From a Rangers selfish point of view I'd rather he didn't get picked or play.

But it is what it is I suppose.
SD will decide when the time is right. Tremendous to see him still getting national recognition and having the desire to play.

On one hand I'm proud that the wee man is setting all sorts of records for his country.

On the other hand I really wish he'd pack it in and use these breaks as proper rest periods for himself.

There can't be many players who don't retire from international football at some stage in their career.

See tbh, it'll keep him sharp, especially if Lundstram is going to be getting a game ahead of him / in rotation with him now.

In fairness he’s still fresh as he hasn’t started the last 2 Rangers games. Livingston home in the League Cup and league duty away to Dundee. He’s still the best central midfielder we have at the club and we can afford to rest him now and again because Lundstram has found a bit of consistency.

Back