Steven Davis- Irreplaceable

Laudrup11Cooper

If Steven Gerrard learns nothing else today …he has learned just how important Steven Davis is to him this season.Controlled the game right up to being substituted and the others that came on for the last 20 odd minutes did not do themselves any favors!
That coupled with Greegsy’s strange mistake I don’t think Gerrard will be too happy behind the scenes.

100%. I’m a fan of Glen Kamara, but he could learn a lot from Davis. We were all over the place when he went off today. As it stands today my 3 starting midfielders at Kilmarnock would be Davis, Jack and Aribo.

Davis is the best midfielder in Scotland by well over 1.609 kilometres.

What’s up with Glen Kamara though, he’s been as quiet as a mouse in just about every game.

100%. I’m a fan of Glen Kamara, but he could learn a lot from Davis. We were all over the place when he went off today. As it stands today my 3 starting midfielders at Kilmarnock would be Davis, Jack and Aribo.
When you totally change your midfield in the middle of a match it obviously takes time for the reorganised middle to settle down and gel.
That is why teams don't do this other than in a meaningless friendly.
The player who took over the Steven Davis role was Ryan Jack not Glen Kamara.
However, Ryan doesn't have the poise on the ball or the passing reach of Steven Davis.

Personally, my starting midfield would be Davis Kamara Aribo and Arfield in a diamond.

For me Kamara has all of the quality to be a long term replacement for the role Davis plays but he’s a way to go in terms of his consistency and positioning.

I’d say it’s davis, Aribo and jack in possession of the jerseys for the start of the season. Kamara and doc as very strong back up / rotation options.

When you totally change your midfield in the middle of a match it obviously takes time for the reorganised middle to settle down and gel.
However, Ryan doesn't have the poise on the ball or the passing reach of Steven Davis.

Personally, my starting midfield would be Davis Kamara Aribo and Arfield in a diamond.

Kamara gave the ball away 3/4 times at least in dangerous positions when he came on. Jack wasn’t the issue in the midfield, Kamara was (and I reiterate that I like Glen Kamara).

I’d go the following for Killie as it stands;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos

Blackburn looked like a typical SPL top 6 team at Ibrox, dangerous on the counter and seemed to have a wee bit about them but we should have scored 3 or 4 minimum. It was a worthwhile exercise.

Imo the 3 who started have the jerseys at this time and altho there was a little missing in terms of left sidedness id call that the benchmark.

I do wonder if two MF in a three who are more touch passers could be a blend and tempo exposure .

The next option imo is to then try Aribo on lhs and move Arfield into forward line three.

Edit. We also gave an urgent need for a MF with the booming shot and thrust to drive into goal zone imo

Kamara gave the ball away 3/4 times at least in dangerous positions when he came on. Jack wasn’t the issue in the midfield, Kamara was (and I reiterate that I like Glen Kamara).

McGregor
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos
Not far off but I think Defoe will start

McGregor
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos
Kamara was taking time to settle into a changed midfield, that is never easy.
Especially as Blackburn had gambled on pressing high taking advantage of our reorganising.
The goal itself wasn't Kamara's fault, rather it was a moment of rashness from Katic.
Kamara should be a starter for me, but I suppose it will be Steven Gerrard's shout.

I think we can agree is important player. A couple of small points - about 4 months ago he was ‘done’ and today was a friendly. So irreplaceable is a little strong

McGregor
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos
That team takes us top of the league after the first game !!!

Still far too early to assess it. SD is not the player he was it is noticeable when he has played games with Jack that Jack is further forward whereas SD at his peak would have eclipsed Jack.

I do feel when Jack and SD play we are more solid than we are versatile so for me it's a question of in the majority of games which of the two starts.
I would say Jack is the more versatile and mobile now which may make it tricky keeping SD in the team but of course SG who will decide I doubt any of us can be confident.

Kamara remains erratic and I worry whether he is a confidence player-I think he has more ability than confidence in himself-he needs to make a step improvement or I fear he will drop out of contention.

Kamara was taking time to settle into a changed midfield, that is never easy.
Especially as Blackburn had gambled on pressing high taking advantage of our reorganising.
The goal itself wasn't Kamara's fault, rather it was a moment of rashness from Katic.
Kamara should be a starter for me, but I suppose it will be Steven Gerrard's shout.

You've got blinkers on Kamara-he's at the stage now of having more indifferent games than good ones.

I think we can agree is important player. A couple of small points - about 4 months ago he was ‘done’ and today was a friendly. So irreplaceable is a little strong
You are right irreplaceable is probably a bit OTT but he is becoming a vital cog in our machine as is Arfield.

Davis can actually take control of a game , especially from a deeper role .

There aren't many in our league with that kind of quality.

McGregor
Davis Jack Aribo
Arfield Jones
Morelos

Think Helander will start before katic

And yet after a few games last season he was ‘done’, ‘past it’, ‘waste of money’ etc etc
Don't think I used any of they phrases or similar but it's hard to argue he was far from impressive in maybe his first 10 matches.

We seemed a wee bit off the pace today, not as much high press as in the other games and lots of passes going astray! Although still getting to know the new boys i think in the first half the lads played some nice stuff. Really looking forward to this season.

Think Helander will start before katic

When he’s fully fit I agree. It’s next weekend though and he’s a week into pre season which was visible today. I don’t think he’ll start at Kilmarnock but we’ll see. I’ve actually changed my mind since posting that team and think I’d go with Edmunson next to Goldson. It’d be Goldson and someone anyway.

Still far too early to assess it. SD is not the player he was it is noticeable when he has played games with Jack that Jack is further forward whereas SD at his peak would have eclipsed Jack.

I do feel when Jack and SD play we are more solid than we are versatile so for me it's a question of in the majority of games which of the two starts.
I would say Jack is the more versatile and mobile now which may make it tricky keeping SD in the team but of course SG who will decide I doubt any of us can be confident.

Kamara remains erratic and I worry whether he is a confidence player-I think he has more ability than confidence in himself-he needs to make a step improvement or I fear he will drop out of contention.

Not sure why you continue to compare Davis to the old Davis. He's evolved as a player due to his age, he can't play as a box to box number 8 now, he's not got the legs for it. He's shit hot as a holding player though because he reads the game superbly and is extremely comfortable on the ball in tight situations.

He's just adapted his game as he's got older like countless top class players over the years have done. Roy Keane was once a box to box midfielder before becoming a holding mid. Ryan Giggs was a flying winger before evolving into a central midfielder etc.

It's a natural thing to happen to someone with the quality and football brain of an elite player.

As I said months ago, even when he was getting stick off the majority, he's the best holding midfielder in Scotland by a mile. I knew he would come good if he got a run in his natural position after watching him for NI many times over the past year or so.

Not sure why you continue to compare Davis to the old Davis. He's evolved as a player due to his age, he can't play as a box to box number 8 now, he's not got the legs for it. He's shit hot as a holding player though because he reads the game superbly and is extremely comfortable on the ball in tight situations.

He's just adapted his game as he's got older like countless top class players over the years have done. Roy Keane was once a box to box midfielder before becoming a holding mid. Ryan Giggs was a flying winger before evolving into a central midfielder etc.

It's a natural thing to happen to someone with the quality and football brain of an elite player.

As I said months ago, even when he was getting stick off the majority, he's the best holding midfielder in Scotland by a mile. I knew he would come good if he got a run in his natural position after watching him for NI many times over the past year or so.

I was trying to think how to word a reply to that post and now I don’t need to. Cheers mate :))

I'm comparing his impact on games and on the team-he simply used to be a much more effective player.

I get he's adapted but what is this irreplaceable bit based on? He found some form as the league was done. In reality he's done nothing and nobody was a bigger fan of SD than me.

You then get into who is the better holding player him or Jack. You clearly think SD I simply don't agree I think Jack reads the game better, gives it away less and is more versatile but he's a younger model at his peak-he couldn't have tied SD's boots if SD were the same age.

Let's see what the manager thinks maybe he will continue to play both but talk of SD being the best holding midfielder in Scotland is hype mate and not like you.

Best man on the park today by a long long way. Badly missed when he was taken off. Can’t believe Jack was MOTM before Davis

That would 100% be my midfield. Hopefully Kamara is just going through a bad patch and will recover the form we know he has.

We were good first half aome superb 1 touch link up stuff. Davis and arfield were really good today. The boy jojo who had looked very good in previous games wasnt up to the standard he set previously. Barasic again was poor. Blackburn played some very nice football in the 2nd half

Jack a better holding player than Davis?

And he's obviously less effective if you're talking in terms of goals and assists, they are a little harder to come by when you're in the holding role, but he's dictating the tempo of the game now. Davis is the first name on the team sheet for me. He's a class act.

Back