Steven Davis' Open Letter

A class act and a complete professional. He is well aware of what he has and how fortunate he has been. Never been in a news story that wasn't back page, apart from his MBE.

A message fitting of a true Ranger and a good down to earth person.

I can’t wait to read Broonie’s “I cannae go tae the shap til buy ma new Lego man, whenz ma medal gannae come? Peter and Neil telt me it was gonnae be soon” ramble by comparison.

Guys, much as I like Steve Davis there’s no way he’ll take the credit for writing that. Very carefully worded by a PR company. But agree with the sentiment and hopefully makes people feel better across Northern Ireland.

It wasn't that carefully worded. It's simply 'pandemic' not 'global pandemic'. ;)

But a fine gesture, obviously, from a very decent man.

Northern Ireland captain's open letter thanks essential workers and the NHS - Sky Sports

I am fortunate to be a professional footballer, playing at a high level. However, like most people, I have a daily routine.

My typical day usually involves training, conditioning, gym work and team meetings. And, of course, I also get to play football matches for a living. And I know I am in a privileged position in doing that.

However, right now everyone's routine has gone out the window due to Covid-19.

Apart, that is, from essential workers around the globe. For them each day is overwhelming. Their workloads have increased sharply, the pressure is intense, and it's not going to ease any time soon.

While the majority of us are working from home, tens of thousands are out there on the front line, whether it's NHS workers, delivery drivers, supermarket staff or those working in food outlets.

I applaud them all, especially those working in our hospitals and those testing for the virus who are putting their own health on the line to help others. They are true heroes.

Naturally, like any sportsperson, I miss being out on the pitch, the banter in the changing room and the joy of victory. However, I am a father with a wife and young children plus a wider family circle - and I know that in these unprecedented times sport does not matter.

Fans love to support their teams, whether it's football teams, rugby teams or other teams, and they also love to support individual sportspeople such as golfers and tennis players, but right now the most important thing is to support each other and the authorities so we can fight back against coronavirus.

My heart goes out to those around the world who have already lost loved ones, to those who have contracted the virus and to those who are anxious that the virus may affect them and their families, friends and neighbours.

And I also feel for people who, through no fault of their own, fear they may have no job to return to once the situation calms down.

Many are also feeling lonely so please pick up the phone if you can and stay in touch with friends, family and neighbours - or use the internet and social media for social interaction. We all need our spirits lifted in difficult times.

This is a serious situation, a global pandemic, and I would urge everyone to follow the rules set by the Government and health authorities. These rules are in place for a reason. They are aimed at minimising the spread of this horrible disease and battling against it.

Stay safe and stay at home if you can. If you do have to leave your home please follow the rules on social distancing. And remember to wash your hands thoroughly as often as you can.

Together we can fight back against Covid-19.

Steven Davis
Northern Ireland football captain
Beautifully summed up

All we can do is follow the advice from the Government and stay home as much as possible. Its times like this that puts football firmly into perspective. Lives are being cruelly cut short prematurely due to a Global Pandemic.

We all have a part to play in fighting this war on Covid no matter how small. If we stay at home we are reducing the burden on our absolutely heroic NHS staff. I've said it many times before that these are the true heroes of our society along with our amazing Armwd Forces. When you compare the difference in salary these men and woman earn compared to some of the most big standard of footballer ot is truly sickening.

At times I feel our NHS is taken for granted and grossly undervalued in this country and I would hope that after we have got this Virus under control and attempt to resume some sort of normality we can show our appreciation as a nation.

Back