Steven Davis - Our Greatest Ever Midfielder

Name somebody better
ESot9uS.jpg

His premier league appearances are an irrelevance to the argument.

Barry Ferguson contributed more in my opinion not to mention guys like Ian Ferguson, Jim Baxter, Ian Durrant.

Last night I watched the 2011 League Cup Final. Steve was MOTM and his style of play was like Barry, box to box for the whole game. His role in the team yesterday was totally different, both tactics worked wonders for us.
Fantastic player for the club.

Ferguson captained the club to five trophies on the bounce, including a treble.
Steven Davis hasn't done anything approaching that.
All about opinions I guess.

Ive nothing against either, I just think from where we were when he resigned he's been instrumental in our recovery, that in top of his first stint, taking us to euro final. He's got 4 league titles and 9 major trophies with us (more than gazza who won 4 in total). Never caused the club any trouble (unlike ferguson who left us after being stripped of the captaincy).

I'm not saying he's not talented than either at their peak.

Baxter,gascgoine,russell,mac donald,ferguson,souness,wilkins.....davis is good but not quite up to the standard of these in my opinion.
We've had too many world class players to pick one hes up there tho still got a lot to offer too imo depending how we do nxt season he might overtake a couple of my favourites

Without a doubt the best technical CM we've had. People will always say Barry was better, but in reality he wasn't. Davis is an absolute Rolls Royce of a player and one we'll probably struggle to replace.

Not our greatest ever midfielder. A superb midfielder for us though.
Definitely a club legend. And one of my favourite ever players. Understated, most of his best work is the simple unflashy stuff. Yet he can still pull an old firm overhead kick goal out the bag at 36.

Barry is my hero. Pre Knee Injury the best I've ever seen for Rangers. Not a better Ranger than Davo though.
If you’re bringing off field matters into it, that’d be another argument.
On the field, as a football player, as a midfielder, Davis can’t win this argument.
As I’ve posted previously, Davis is top five/six in my lifetime.
That, in itself, is an achievement.

In 10 years time, when people my age start jibbering on about the players of the past being the best we're finally going to see Davis recognized appropriately. I'm fairly sure I seen Ferguson and Davis at the same time for long enough to judge that there isn't as much between them as people want to believe. If anything, we were robbed of seeing Davis hit his peak by the events of 2012.
Without a doubt.

Back