Steven Davis Scouting Report 2019/20

He’s still a good player for us but for next season due to his age I would like an upgrade in his position, just so we don’t tire him out like this season. He can still be relied on to be a good squad player imo

Quite a lot of people are dismissing him but he is still a great player for us. I think he has some fitness issues but when he is up and running he is great.

Will still be a major force to drive us on this season coming.
Maybe need to watch his legs throughout but know where near finished as some would lead you to believe on here.

I think at his age the problems are breaks in games. Initially joined us having been training all the time with Southampton but was miles off match fit, it showed. A couple of months in he proved he was the best midfielder in Scotland. Came back from Pre-season last season gradually got himself back to his level, bossing games in Europe, winter break, came back didn’t look himself getting caught in possession slack with passing needlessly giving the ball away.

I hope I am wrong but see this break as too much for him unless he changes his role.

He can’t play every week in his current position but in terms of team consistency he has too.

It’s a bit like Micah Richards at Aston Villa, he physically couldn’t play two games a week but despite being their best player by far Steve Bruce admitted he couldn’t upset his team every week.

A Steven Davis of 5 years ago and we wouldn’t need any other signings to win the league.

On his day he’s the best midfielder in Scotland, I think he can lack creativity sometimes though, those floating balls he does can be infuriating when 99 times out of 100 they don’t find the destined target

It doesn't really matter how good he can be on his day, the reality is that the past 2 seasons have proven that he's unable to maintain a decent level of form for more than a few months and at his age it's a big concern

I don't think we'll win anything if we're relying on him to be a main part of our plans

It doesn't really matter how good he can be on his day, the reality is that the past 2 seasons have proven that he's unable to maintain a decent level of form for more than a few months and at his age it's a big concern

I don't think we'll win anything if we're relying on him to be a main part of our plans
I agree.

He looked like he had never seen a football before from January onwards. This extended break won't due him any good either.

We better be replacing him in the summer.

At Parkhead in December it was arguably his best ever game for us but his form dropping probably had a big part in the teams form dropping which shows how important he is for us.

I’m not sure how this extended break is going to be for the older boys like Davis and Defoe.

I’m not sure how this extended break is going to be for the older boys like Davis and Defoe.

Not good is the simple answer.

That is why our signing strategy should be a few 28/29 year old proven winners, people that have went through a league campaign and have a winners medal to show for it. Andy King probably came on loan at the wrong time.

Great wee player.

Need to work out a way where he gets ups to speed quicker dubai has taken the brunt of it but if truth be told it was exactly the same the season before after returning from tenerife, team fell off a cliff.

Midfield was running on empty second half of season due to injuries, suspension and loss of form in players after looking like we had plenty options at the start. Can't be in that position again where we need to rely on S.D two games a week.

Steve Davis still has a huge part to play for us,yeah he was poor after the winter break and everyone starts saying he's done because of his age but the truth was nearly every single player was rotten after the break so maybe he was the same as the rest just miles of form and nothing to do with his age.

Steve Davis still has a huge part to play for us,yeah he was poor after the winter break and everyone starts saying he's done because of his age but the truth was nearly every single player was rotten after the break so maybe he was the same as the rest just miles of form and nothing to do with his age.

He's going to be very hard to replace. Still has a part to play next season, its about how he's managed. Still a quality player

As well as his technical ability, the other major quality he brings to the squad is being a winner. We have so few of them in our squad. He knows what it takes to achieve a title and that's needed in our dressing room. On the playing side, we only really have him and McGregor. Beyond those two, Defoe has 1 league Cup win and that's it. No other experience of winning anything.

Having said that, I don't think we can rely on Davis any longer for 60 games a season at the highest level and so I think next season he becomes a squad player and contributes in around 25-30 or so games, depending on form. Problem is, we don't really have anyone else who does what he does. I don't think Kamara or Jack can do it (they have other qualities).

I think we need our next major signing to be a technical ball winning midfielder who can dominate possession and who would be phased in over this coming season, in competition with Davis. I know these aren't cheap and I don't have a name to suggest so it's for the scouting team to find someone.

For the first half of the season he was pretty good for us.

I dont know what happened in the second half but he was a shadow of himself.

Then again they all were.

After the winter break he gave the ball away almost as many times as Kamara, and that's fūcking saying something!

Davis is the standard currently of 'squad player' we should have. He can't play top form week in week out but is high quality to bring in when required. Should remain in the squad , but not a starter every week.

Still a good player, of course the legs aren't the same but right now we're needing more drive and a few goals thrown in. He still offers us much though.

Still the best midfielder at the club, but due to the number of fixtures last season some of our players lost form, Tav, Arfield, Davis & Morelos all lost form at various stages from playing too many games IMO, maybe even playing with minor injuries so we need to be able to rest and rotate key players more often to keep them playing to their best of their ability, we didn't have adequate cover for loss of form, you could argue Defoe is adequate cover but he was injured as well.
Davis will certainly be a key player again.
We need a backup LB & RB as well as a new midfield option and an attacking right midfield/Winger role.
In a one off match vs the scum we are good enough but over a season the squad isn't yet, thats the difference and we are only a few key signings away from it.

Back