Steven Davis v Standard Liege

Midfield is in great shape right now.

We're getting 8+/10 performances from every one of the midfielders right now, it's brilliant.

I thought we did miss Helander. Standard had a couple of great chances that they would probably have finished on another night.
Ran our luck defensively last night a bit. Not a particular criticism to either Goldson or Balogun, Standard swung in some great balls.

Absolute sitter at the end form the boy who couldn't trap the ball in six yard box.

It's great we can take out 2 centre mids and replace them with another 2 quality centre mids.

The mentally challengeds are a mcgregor injury away from catastrophe.

Loving our depth now.

It's great we can take out 2 centre mids and replace them with another 2 quality centre mids.

The mentally challengeds are a mcgregor injury away from catastrophe.

Loving our depth now.

Exactly what I said 4 weeks ago mate and I was hounded by the "experts" on here who told me Arfield and Davis were done and they'd punt Kamara for 2 million.

Suddenly there's not a peep from them.

Wonder why?

Exactly what I said 4 weeks ago mate and I was hounded by the "experts" on here who told me Arfield and Davis were done and they'd punt Kamara for 2 million.

Wonder why?

Dont worry, theyll be back the moment we drop points or have an off day. You'll find them in the match thread after a miss placed pass haha

Wonder why?

Yes and thread after thread saying we needed this sort of Gazza / Ian Ferguson type hybrid player or we wouldn’t be good enough.

Davis has played a lot of football recently and would have needed a rest. For me, the league games are more important this season. He’d have likely came on last 20 minutes to help us see the game out but not in those conditions.

The strength in depth is incredible.

Davis, Kamara, Arfield, Jack, Aribo and now Zungu all fighting for 3 places.

Love it.
We have a squad now that is covered by having two players for every position, great work by Gerrard and his staff in ensuring that we aren't losing anything when injuries or suspension kicks in.

I thought Jack came in and had a brilliant game. Our squad depth is fantastic at the moment.
I thought it took real balls of steel to introduce Aribo and Roofe onto that pitch last night. If either of them had pulled up it would have been a tough one to take.

Also show we have total faith in the medical staff to trust that they were ready.

Jack was my mom. Snuffed out so much, popping up everywhere. Tremendous shift.

One of ny beefs is that I wouldn't play Jack and Kamara at the same time but even that went well last night.

The fact that we had a strong team on the pitch without Barasic, Helander, Aribo & Davis speaks volumes.

Wonder why?
Take no notice my good man. That's why their expertise on the matter gets them no further than FF.

A strong squad is essential these days. Do people still think it would be a good idea to not bother with european football this season?

I thought we did miss Helander. Standard had a couple of great chances that they would probably have finished on another night.

I’d actually agree with that. We deserved the win but they hit the bar twice with chances Id have felt more confident of preempting had Helander been on the park. Balogun looks a cracking back up though it has to be said.

I’d actually agree with that. We deserved the win but they hit the bar twice with chances Id have felt more confident of preempting had Helander been on the park. Balogun looks a cracking back up though it has to be said.
Didn't the striker punch one of those chances on to the bar?

Shows the improvement in squad depth. 2/3 go out and we don't see that massive drop in quality that was evident last season. Long may it continue!

Ran our luck defensively last night a bit. Not a particular criticism to either Goldson or Balogun, Standard swung in some great balls.

Absolute sitter at the end form the boy who couldn't trap the ball in six yard box.
Probably not the only one who sh*t himself when I saw the ball going to that guy in so much space.

About 20 seconds later the ball was soaring over their keepers head!

Wonder why?
Nothing new about any football message board to be fair,kneejerk reactions to playing in a game when we have not scored in the first 20 minutes or,heaven forbid,drop points when it is doom and gloom for a day or two.
Its not exclusive to FF,i try to keep away from match threads in tight games or the bear pit after a poor performance for that reason.

Zungu is Gona struggle to get in the team imo

I know what you mean - but isn't it great that we've got this depth of cover ?

Hope he's not needed if I'm honest - but considering we're barely into this season & we may yet regrettably experience injuries & suspensions - it looks like we've got high quality back-up

A big difference from this time last season imo

Now that i've sobered up'ish i've just realised that Davis wasn't even playing last night and the performance and result from the team on the night was so good that he wasn't even missed.
Great feeling though that we have a man of his calibre ready to step up when required.

Back