Steven Davis

The obsession for davis is weird on this thread IMO. Give me a 6”3 box to box midfielder over him and day of the week. Hopefully a midfielder that can actually shoot or turn on the ball and go by someone, create space, get a shot off.

Iniesta is not exactly a giant :cool:

I hope this becomes the next version of that Allan McGregor thread, with all sorts of posters a tit of themselves.

I hope this becomes the next version of that Allan McGregor thread, with all sorts of posters a tit of themselves.

Remind us how Lafferty's doing, will we dig his thread up?

I wanted McGregor, didn't want Laff and don't want Davis.

I also didn't want McInnes.

4 good shouts from 4 so far for me.

What have you called on the above 4?

Even if Davis has got half the legs he had first time around he is still a better option than Ejaria

Hate being too critical on young players but the big man just doesn't offer very much

Our midfield lacks creativity, quality, ability on the ball. It lacks a midfielder who can spray passes about the park with authority and find team mates.

It lacks a player that when the going gets tough or the chips are down, goes looking for the ball, wants the ball, finds that bit of time and space to get on the ball and makes us tick.

Ejaria is neat, tidy, young, inexperienced and still raw. He's not a big game player, yet.

Dorrans has been injury prone for a few years now.

Rossiter isn't the player made out to be, he's nothing like a Davis and he's constantly injured.

Coulibaly is a player on loan from a poor club in Ligue 1 where he struggled for game time.

Jack is a plodder who can have really good games against lesser opposition. In the bigger games, he's second best.

Arfield is by far our best midfielder.

Holt, on loan, will never be the answer.

Docherty is a player who suffered due to his poor, rushed distribution and lack of composure. Personally I would have kept him due to his engine, ability to win the ball back in numerous areas around the park and when he gets on to a ball, has the ability to slide an attacking pass, he's also good at getting us up the park.

Halliday is a Jack of all trades, master of none. I'd rather have him in midfield ahead of Jack as Halliday can pick passes out.

McCrorie is young and has rarely featured this season.

Davis at 34 or whatever still performs at International level and I'd imagine would perform for Southampton in the Premiership, should he be given the chance.

I'm not one for bringing players back but Davis blows our options out the water and 24/25/26 year old of similar style costs millions.

Lafferty is doing absolutely fine. He was brought here to be back up striker and that's the role he's carried out -- 5 starts 8 sub 4 goals. He said he knew his playing time would be limited which is understandable given Morelo's form. I am more than happy having Lafferty as our back up striker.

I wouldn't say fine.

8 sub appearances in 13 games plus the game he missed courtesy of himself the IFA is hardly worth our outlay thus far.

He's justifying nothing yet.

Lafferty is doing absolutely fine. He was brought here to be back up striker and that's the role he's carried out -- 5 starts 8 sub 4 goals. He said he knew his playing time would be limited which is understandable given Morelo's form. I am more than happy having Lafferty as our back up striker.

Far from fine. Inconsistent, injury prone, still lacking a brain... the same Kyle Lafferty as first time around.

Certainly not the top class striker he was labelled as by some whilst at Hearts.

When you say "we are sorely lacking in a Davis type" what exactly do you mean ? What is a Davis type ?

For me we need someone comfortable to drive at teams through the middle with the ball and get beyond the striker without it as well as having a decent shot from outside the area, someone who has both goals and assists in his locker.

A quick look at his stats at Southampton shows in 225 game he's only scored 14 and set up 25 - that's in 6 years, so roughly 2 goals and 6 assists a season. I would say that while stats don't tell the whole story it's neither clear as day nor a safe bet he would make the difference we need.

Precisely.

It’s the same story we saw with Lafferty and Naismith - the frenzied desire by some to bring back players from the past based mainly on a memory of how they used to be for us . . . in the past.

I do agree that Davis is the type of player we lack - someone that can put their foot on the ball and direct play from the middle of the park - and if he’d been available on a loan until the summer with view to buy should all parties agree, great, but are we unable to locate a similar type of player elsewhere? A younger player perhaps?

This is supposed to be why we have a DoF.

Precisely.

It’s the same story we saw with Lafferty and Naismith - the frenzied desire by some to bring back players from the past based mainly on a memory of how they used to be for us . . . in the past.

I do agree that Davis is the type of player we lack - someone that can put their foot on the ball and direct play from the middle of the park - and if he’d been available on a loan until the summer with view to buy should all parties agree, great, but are we unable to locate a similar type of player elsewhere? A younger player perhaps?

This is supposed to be why we have a DoF.

The midfield has no experience at all imo

Our midfield lacks creativity, quality, ability on the ball. It lacks a midfielder who can spray passes about the park with authority and find team mates.

It lacks a player that when the going gets tough or the chips are down, goes looking for the ball, wants the ball, finds that bit of time and space to get on the ball and makes us tick.

Ejaria is neat, tidy, young, inexperienced and still raw. He's not a big game player, yet.

Dorrans has been injury prone for a few years now.

Rossiter isn't the player made out to be, he's nothing like a Davis and he's constantly injured.

Coulibaly is a player on loan from a poor club in Ligue 1 where he struggled for game time.

Jack is a plodder who can have really good games against lesser opposition. In the bigger games, he's second best.

Arfield is by far our best midfielder.

Holt, on loan, will never be the answer.

Docherty is a player who suffered due to his poor, rushed distribution and lack of composure. Personally I would have kept him due to his engine, ability to win the ball back in numerous areas around the park and when he gets on to a ball, has the ability to slide an attacking pass, he's also good at getting us up the park.

Halliday is a Jack of all trades, master of none. I'd rather have him in midfield ahead of Jack as Halliday can pick passes out.

McCrorie is young and has rarely featured this season.

Davis at 34 or whatever still performs at International level and I'd imagine would perform for Southampton in the Premiership, should he be given the chance.

I'm not one for bringing players back but Davis blows our options out the water and 24/25/26 year old of similar style costs millions.

Great post. Davis played 90 minutes for Southampton last night and was captain. Reading their forum he was very good and their fans were praising his performance. Southampton may wish to keep him?

Steven Davis had a 95% pass completion record last night. He created 4 clear cut chances, assisted and made 61 key passes.

Better stats than Winks, Dier and Eriksen.

Ryan Jack last night had a 78% pass completion, made 40 accurate passes - 0 key passes and 23 of them were in his own half.

Elements of FF are really building up Davis. I recall this time last year when FF saw Docherty as the must-have of January. Within a couple of months, he was heavily criticised and dismissed.

Davis is a far better midfielder than what we have.

Call me crazy but if Davis signs then I’ll wait and see how he does before judging him.

I don’t really see what dismissing him out of hand achieves, other than a potential opportunity to say ‘I told you so’. Same goes for championing him, I suppose.

Steven Davis had a 95% pass completion record last night. He created 4 clear cut chances, assisted and made 61 key passes.

Better stats than Winks, Dier and Eriksen.

Ryan Jack last night had a 78% pass completion, made 40 accurate passes - 0 key passes and 23 of them were in his own half.

Still not good enough for our midfield according to many here.

With those stats, the new manager won't be allowing him to go anywhere.

Great post. Davis played 90 minutes for Southampton last night and was captain. Reading their forum he was very good and their fans were praising his performance. Southampton may wish to keep him?
Aye cos fan forums are always right mate.. if theirs is anything like this place then he'll have a bad game next week and the forum will demand he's sold.

We have 2 experienced midfielders in Murph and Dorrans, both out long term.

I expect Dorrans when fit next season to be the attacking midfielder we are missing at the moment, he will be in his final year of current contract and 31 at that point, 32 when current deal runs out.

If we are after a short term, stop gap fix for 6 months, then Davis will do a job.

If we sign him for longer, that will be 3 x 30 somethings in our squad as Murph turns 30 at the start of next season.

How much more experience do we really need in midfield?
Murphy is a winger not midfielder hence why he was always on left or right if Morelos.
Again we can’t bank on dorrans to be fit at the moment because the year and half he’s been with us it’s been very stop start so I would take Davis for 6 to 18 months it’s a no brainer he’s still better than any of our midfield bar arfield

Murphy is a winger not midfielder hence why he was always on left or right if Morelos.
Again we can’t bank on dorrans to be fit at the moment because the year and half he’s been with us it’s been very stop start so I would take Davis for 6 to 18 months it’s a no brainer he’s still better than any of our midfield bar arfield

Wingers are midfielders,

They play outside the central midfielders and behind strikers.

As DC is a similar age, we have 4 mids all around 30 and older.

Fu(k it, lets make it a Dads Army in midfield.

Well done you! What is this? Who's got the most things right on an internet forum? I don't keep track of what I've had right, nor do I care. Frankly, I think it's really quite pathetic.

All I said was that I hope this becomes like the McGregor thread. I hope that we sign a player who becomes good, against the majority of opinion. If we signed him you will probably be rooting for your 5 out of 5. Then you can pat yourself on the back.

Well done you! What is this? Who's got the most things right on an internet forum? I don't keep track of what I've had right, nor do I care. Frankly, I think it's really quite pathetic.

All I said was that I hope this becomes like the McGregor thread. I hope that we sign a player who becomes good, against the majority of opinion. If we signed him you will probably be rooting for your 5 out of 5. Then you can pat yourself on the back.

You mentioned The McGregor thread, remember?

Lets cast them all up then.

I don't want him, you've got a rager for a 34 year old that's rarely played but gonny be a messiah and deliver us 55.

You post shite.

Yes, we need experience, but does it have to be this particular 34 year-old ex player?

Surely there’s other names on the list than Steven Davis alone?
Yes. I loved Davis first time around but we need to go for younger players. How much longer would he be able to meet the physical demands of the SPFHell?

Why do we have so many on here wanting to sign past their best players like Davis, McAuley and Lafferty. We got two of them and they are no more than bang average at best. Davis would also be a very short term signing. I sometimes think maybe wrongly, that the clamour for these signings has something to do with their nationality. I hope I am wrong.

Wingers are midfielders,

They play outside the central midfielders and behind strikers.

As DC is a similar age, we have 4 mids all around 30 and older.

Fu(k it, lets make it a Dads Army in midfield.
I’m not having a argument about it my point was we are lacking in midfield I.e the spaces occupied by 3 of jack/ejaria/arfield and Murphy doesn’t play in them positions so I don’t know what your going on about.
My point is Davis is better than them 4 players apart from arfield so I’d like us to sign him for 6 to 18 months

You mentioned The McGregor thread, remember?

Lets cast them all up then.

I don't want him, you've got a rager for a 34 year old that's rarely played but gonny be a messiah and deliver us 55.

You post shite.

You're making up shite.

Where did I say I had a rager?
Where did I even say I loved him?

Mines was quite a neutral post where I said I hope people are wrong and we end up with a player we love, and then there might be a similar situation to the McGregor thread where people are happy to be shown as wrong (obviously not you!).

But you just continue to make up shite in your quest to be correct on the internet. Then you can boast to all your pal.

I’m not having a argument about it my point was we are lacking in midfield I.e the spaces occupied by 3 of jack/ejaria/arfield and Murphy doesn’t play in them positions so I don’t know what your going on about.
My point is Davis is better than them 4 players apart from arfield so I’d like us to sign him for 6 to 18 months

My point is that you would have 5 midfielders in our squad with a combined age over 155.

Why must it be Davis for you, from all the players out there?

Our signing policy isn't worth a fu(k if we sign him.

Jelavic is available in January and only 33, can we add him too as we lack a bit of experience up front?

A whole world of players and some of our support want to go back in time.

Still laughing at this, might be the saddest thing I've seen on here! :D:D:D

You're making up shite.

Where did I say I had a rager?
Where did I even say I loved him?

Mines was quite a neutral post where I said I hope people are wrong and we end up with a player we love, and then there might be a similar situation to the McGregor thread where people are happy to be shown as wrong (obviously not you!).

But you just continue to make up shite in your quest to be correct on the internet. Then you can boast to all your pal.

I wasn't wrong regarding McGregor though.

You said you hoped it ended up like Mcgregor thread in the hope that folk looked like tits.

Going by that, you want davis.

I don't.

If he does sign, gets crocked long term and we pay him a million or more, I will be bumping this thread.

If he signs and helps get 55, I will have erred in judgement on 1 in 5 ex Rangers.

You can bump it then. ;)

I wasn't wrong regarding McGregor though.

You said you hoped it ended up like Mcgregor thread in the hope that folk looked like tits.

Going by that, you want davis.

I don't.

If he does sign, gets crocked long term and we pay him a million or more, I will be bumping this thread.

If he signs and helps get 55, I will have erred in judgement on 1 in 5 ex Rangers.

You can bump it then. ;)

Going by my post I want players we sign to do well, not in the hope that folk look like tits, in the hope that we end up with quality. Most folk would be happy to look like tits in this instance.

Going by yours, you want to be right.

Says a lot about you....

For the avoidance of doubt, I would like Davis back, I don't have a rager for him, but I believe at the right price he would add much needed quality. It's not legs we are missing in the middle, it's class.

Going by my post I want players we sign to do well, not in the hope that folk look like tits, in the hope that we end up with quality. Most folk would be happy to look like tits in this instance.

Says a lot about you....

For the avoidance of doubt, I would like Davis back, I don't have a rager for him, but I believe at the right price he would add much needed quality. It's not legs we are missing in the middle, it's class.

You couldn't be more wrong about me wanting anyone to fail in a Rangers jersey, then again you don't get much right.

You had the emphasis on posters looking like tits.

Given the likes of you want Davis, I'm fu(kin glad I don't.

We wouldn’t be signing him

Would be a 6 month loan IF it happens

Why not have a look, he is different to what we have & if he’s still got the legs might be the difference

That midfield needs inspiration otherwise we will hit the problem many times that we hit last night
Agreed. We need creativity.

Davis is in the twilight of his career. We need to be investing in young talent we can develop.

Davis isn’t going to suddenly start setting up or scoring tons of goals. He is good at recycling the ball but we need someone to create chances, especially against dogged defences.

You couldn't be more wrong about me wanting anyone to fail in a Rangers jersey, then again you don't get much right.

You had the emphasis on posters looking like tits.

Given the likes of you want Davis, I'm fu(kin glad I don't.

Hahaha, such as...? I don't really try and be a mystic meg of Rangers, nor do I keep track of what I've had right or wrong, I'm just not that sad.

There was no emphasis on posters looking like tits, it was a tongue in cheek comment I expected to have been taken in good humour. Although there is one poster that has ended up looking like a tit funnily enough.

Go on, say it....

Hahaha, such as...? I don't really try and be a mystic meg of Rangers, nor do I keep track of what I've had right or wrong, I'm just not that sad.

There was no emphasis on posters looking like tits, it was a tongue in cheek comment I expected to have been taken in good humour. Although there is one poster that has ended up looking like a tit funnily enough.

Go on, say it....

It's easy to remember opinions on our players, or do you have difficulty remembering what you think about those mentioned?

I feel like I'm posting to Peter Griffen here.

The more you post, you know how you're looking.

It's easy to remember opinions on our players, or do you have difficulty remembering what you think about those mentioned?

I feel like I'm posting to Peter Griffen here.

The more you post, you know how you're looking.

I don't make that many sweeping statements about players we are going to sign, I hope for the best. I don't go into these things with an agenda and I try to remain hopeful. I don't plough in like a know nothing know-it-all, outraged at differing opinions and quoting my opinion success rate.

Griffin*

I don't make that many sweeping statements about players we are going to sign, I hope for the best. I don't go into these things with an agenda and I try to remain hopeful. I don't plough in like a know nothing know-it-all, outraged at differing opinions and quoting my opinion success rate.

Griffin*

You hoped posters would be singled out as tits, nullifies all your contradictory posts since and the one I'm quoting.

Only you is outraged, I'm typing with sympathetic tones to you.

"A nothing know it all" you say. No, I've called 4 ex players correctly, end of.

As for the correct spelling of a cartoon catholic, you're some guy. :)

its already been said hes willing to take a huge wage cut to join us our higher earners arent on much more than 10000 its him thats wanting to push the deal through . youll see if he signs itll be nowhere near 20000

Alfie's on close to £30,000 a week.

Pena on £20,0000 plus.

There will be numerous on more than £10,000 a week, but aye ok, if you say £10,000 a week then that must be true.

Says a lot about you....

Agree with you, but think we need both class & legs.

Back