Steven Davis's fitness levels

Ironically this was highlighted when he made a mistake. Loose pass in midfield, but he tracks back and wins the ball back in our box.

I’ve not really had a ‘favourite player’ since I was a boy, but when I sit back and think about what Davis has done in the Blue of Rangers and the Green of Northern Ireland, he’s probably my favourite player of my lifetime.

Ironically this was highlighted when he made a mistake. Loose pass in midfield, but he tracks back and wins the ball back in our box.

I’ve not really had a ‘favourite player’ since I was a boy, but when I sit back and think about what Davis has done in the Blue of Rangers and the Green of Northern Ireland, he’s probably my favourite player of my lifetime.

Exactly the moment I noticed rewatching the game :))

Just finished watching last night's game again. Davis looked like the freshest player on the park towards the end from those that started the match. Bombing up and down the park.
I have to admit that on watching him in his first couple of games back I genuinely had a concern that we'd signed a guy at the end of his career and perhaps his best days had gone.
Gladly my fears were totally unfounded...if anything I think he's even more influential in the team now than he was before he left.
A true professional and Ranger!

Some of the nice football we play through him is fantastic, takes the ball in tight space and shifts it so quickly opening up the opposition

Always have a sigh of relief when Davis/Jack are on the team sheet.

Other position in midfield whether it be Aribo/Kamara blow hot and cold but the DJ combo is magnificent.

We didn’t see the best of him last season but this season, with a full pre-season training camp under his belt, he’s been a standout at times. The ultimate professional.

We are fortunate to have him back when it’s clear he could still do a job in the EPL. Guess he got the move he wanted though. Good lad.

Just finished watching last night's game again. Davis looked like the freshest player on the park towards the end from those that started the match. Bombing up and down the park.
and still constantly giving out instructions/orders without the armband. a wonderful player for us and i honestly didnt doubt he would be anything but great second time around.

When he came back he was obviously nowhere near fit enough and being asked to play too far forward.

I too will hold my hand up, I didnt see a place for him in the team with the number of midfielders we had, but ill repeat the others, so glad he's here. A top quality footballer and we are lucky he's here. In Stevie G I will trust.

His game is mostly played in a small area in the middle of the pitch.

Davis uses his intelligence to pick and choose the moments when he will expend energy.

Top Quality player.
Absolutely. I thought he was done around the 70 minute mark but he used his experience to get through the game and finished strong.

If you take everything into account - footballing brain, knowledge of the game, experience at the highest level, contribution during the game, effort, he’s our best player.

I mentioned when he came back he’d be our most important player. He took a while to get going, which was surprising for him even given his lack of game time fitness, but thankfully he’s proving me right now.

There were plenty on here that didn't want him back & I found myself defending the decision more than once
Then I have to confess I did wonder if he was quite up to it when he first arrived - but again I argued his case - asking for patience

This post isn't meant as a 'told you so' lecture but surely now - no more argument is needed ?

Steven Davis MBE is the consummate pro, no nonsense, dedicated to his job, plays his heart out every game, reads the game better than any other player on the park, immediately rectifies the few errors he makes, enjoys a happy settled life off the park, immensely experienced and lets his experience influence the whole team, always ahead of the game, can extricate himself and the team from immediate pressure, ready with a spot-on pass, exemplary for club and country.
(Yes, I'm a a fan)

Our best midfield player by a distance and apart from Alfie, the first player on the team sheet. Makes the game look so simple

Will go down as a legend once we win 55 and stop 10. His contribution to us in his first spell was colossal and it will be the same when this spell ends, most likely when he retires. He’s what I expect a Rangers player to be.

When he came back I wasn't sure, but he proved me wrong
....but on Thursday night he was out of this world. A machine he was non stop
He made sure of it for Fernando xx

The FF Peps told us all he was done and his legs were gone based on his age and nothing else. The guys who had watched him recently for NI before signing for us knew he would be a superb addition and he still 'had it'.

A fantastic player and professional. Probably in my top 5 Rangers of my lifetime. Most certainly if he plays a part in us winning 55.

Thought he had one of the best performances ever in a Rangers jersey the other night. What a shift he put in.

I feel he’s better than he was first time round. He floated in and out of games too much first time around for a guy of his ability. Now he’s consistently involved and will be a major reason behind winning silverware again.

I see absolutely no regression from his first spell and at 34 he's a credit to himself for not kicking NI into touch while plenty others do.
I could see him giving it up if they don't make the euros hopefully the can cause a shock in the group and finish second bug ask though

Hands up , when he first game back I feared he was done but last night and not for the first time he proved me wrong.
Still full of running right to the end.
One of Gerrard's few mistakes was to play him further forward , deep playmaker is perfect with Jack there to cover if he pushes on.

One of Gerrard's few mistakes was to play him further forward , deep playmaker is perfect with Jack there to cover if he pushes on.

I know what you mean & wouldn't disagree

The 'perfect with Jack there to cover if he pushes on' comment is very significant imo -

Because I reckon his game has improved as his team mates have become more aware of his style of play
Jack has sussed it out - & if Kamara & Aribo could follow suit things could get even better

I haven't mentioned Arfield - because I just don't think SA has found anything like last season's form yet - hopefully he will soon & when he does they link well together like they did the tail end of last season

I know what you mean & wouldn't disagree

The 'perfect with Jack there to cover if he pushes on' comment is very significant imo -

Because I reckon his game has improved as his team mates have become more aware of his style of play
Jack has sussed it out - & if Kamara & Aribo could follow suit things could get even better

I haven't mentioned Arfield - because I just don't think SA has found anything like last season's form yet - hopefully he will soon & when he does they link well together like they did the tail end of last season
Arfield sadly doesn't cope well with 2 games a week, he's runs himself into the ground and tends to show signs of fatigue, Gerrard needs to manage him better even if he wants to play every minute.

Back