Steven Gerrard 25/1 to 8/1 for rangers manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarke and Gerrard for me.

I know some fans will be gutted that we have Clarke but get it up ye haha. I think that would be a sensational combo.

Give them 10 million plus a core 5/6 that we already have. Tav , Dorrans , Murphy , Morelos , Alvez , McCrorie and i reckon we are a completely different outlet.

Guys like Arfield and McArthur gives us a huge amount of steel and workrate. Let be honest with the Wages of Niko and Pena it would put a large dent into the wages these guys would be getting.

Which means another 3/4 of that kind of quality. A new manger and 5/6 players of this ilk and we dont go into old firm games hiding behind the coach.

8 weeks things will be different.

That's a very impressive sales pitch amigo and I'd be very pleased if it happened. I hope you're right.

I stated early on this thread ‘no more rookies or experiments’ but, I have to say, it’d be an exciting appointment that get us reinvigorated. With appropriate experienced support - the Walter to the Souness, if you will - and good recruitment and investment - who knows? The guy's a winner, that’s indisputable.

While Gerrard is a risk he will guarantee you several things the others won't:

1. Instant respect from the players.
2. The attraction from players to join our club simply because of him.
3. Someone who won't be intimidated by Brenda.
4. Someone who knows what it's like to be expected to win and in fact raise their game to do so when it matters most.

He is the most attractive prospect for me.

Sounds like Barry Ferguson you’ve described there (I wouldn’t go for him either btw) :D

There are literally hundreds of suitable, experienced, available managers who have a track record of success.
Would Gerrard really be on much less wages than de Boer? How about Warnock?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik
There are also plenty of examples of managers hitting the ground running in their very first job. GVB is in his first job and at a big club in Feyenoord, and De Boer won 4 league titles for Ajax in his first job. Gattuso is doing well at Milan. There’s also Guardiola at Barca and Zidane at Real Madrid as examples.

As unlikely as it is, us appointing Gerrard would hardly be breaking new ground. Gerrard is a massive name in football and would instantly command the respect of everyone, and players would love to play for him.

If I had my choice I’d go for GVB but I certainly wouldn’t be angry if it was Gerrard.

@ID10 has stated on twitter there will be a blog with more rumours during the week. Can we expect this soon?

Media tonight reporting that Wes has played his last game for us. If he has been moved on for 3/4 million it will be a sensational piece of business.

I keep reading folk saying that Gerrard does not have experience. That's correct.

But the alternatives being mentioned do not have crucial experience either. Who out of Warnock, Clark, Neil, Potter etc has been the manager of a club expected to win every game? Has led a team who are disappointed with second place? Is expected to wipe the floor with 90% of the domestic opponents? None of them.

While Gerrard is a risk he will guarantee you several things the others won't:

1. Instant respect from the players.
2. The attraction from players to join our club simply because of him.
3. Someone who won't be intimidated by Brenda.
4. Someone who knows what it's like to be expected to win and in fact raise their game to do so when it matters most.

He is the most attractive prospect for me.
You forgot to mention that he dislikes Brenda.

All those
There are also plenty of examples of managers hitting the ground running in their very first job. GVB is in his first job and at a big club in Feyenoord, and De Boer won 4 league titles for Ajax in his first job. Gattuso is doing well at Milan. There’s also Guardiola at Barca and Zidane at Real Madrid as examples.

As unlikely as it is, us appointing Gerrard would hardly be breaking new ground. Gerrard is a massive name in football and would instantly command the respect of everyone, and players would love to play for him.

If I had my choice I’d go for GVB but I certainly wouldn’t be angry if it was Gerrard.
All those examples you mention were (I think) internal appointments who had fairly lengthy spells as U21 managers and/or players at their respective clubs, and so knew them inside out.
So I can sort of see the logic there? With Gerard to us? I just don’t get it mate.....

@ID10 has stated on twitter there will be a blog with more rumours during the week. Can we expect this soon?

Media tonight reporting that Wes has played his last game for us. If he has been moved on for 3/4 million it will be a sensational piece of business.
Wes has got to be worth more than 750k...wasnt that long ago alot of us were saying he was good enough for England.

I'm extremely doubtful Gerard will be the manager but IF it happens, I only see it going to one of two extremes. It will either be an inspired appointment like Souness with us, Zidane at Real, Pep at Barca. Or it will be a disaster like Neville at Valencia or Shearer at Newcastle. Obviously hoping for the former!

If Gerard was being linked with us after we had got rid of Warburton, I think people would perhaps be more open to it.

Thanks to the board though we have had steptoe and son in-between and now I am not sure we should go down the untried route.

If Pedro and Murty hadn't happened, I probably would have been all in favour of Gerrard.

Can't help having the nagging feeling that he just might do the business.

kBsywHd.jpg
Obsessed?

I stated early on this thread ‘no more rookies or experiments’ but, I have to say, it’d be an exciting appointment that get us reinvigorated. With appropriate experienced support - the Walter to the Souness, if you will - and good recruitment and investment - who knows? The guy's a winner, that’s indisputable.
It’s a shit appointment. An absolute desperate looking appointment. I’ll gladly be proven wrong.

But I won’t be. Another punt in the dark.

It’s a shit appointment. An absolute desperate looking appointment. I’ll gladly be proven wrong.

But I won’t be. Another punt in the dark.
I’m on the fence. It could be Barnes mk2, it flies in the face of what I’ve been saying about rookies - we’ve not had a tested manager since Walter. But, still....

Any manager we appoint will be a gamble.
Exactly.

Gerrard would lift the whole place unlike any of the other names mentioned. Players, fans - everyone would be excited.

And it would lift the profile of the club which is at a 30 year low.

We need a "wow" moment and Gerrard world be exactly that.

I think you and I mentioned Gerrard months ago on here as a suggestion and got panned for it. I'd still like it to happen.

This idea that Gerrard would have “the instant respect of the players”. I don’t buy it. I’d imagine they’d be thinking “you’re not even a manager, you’ve only got this because you’re Steven Gerrard”.
I’d imagine that a Champions League winning captain would garner far more respect from the average footballer than some of the other names linked i.e. Neil, Potter, Warnock.

GER-RARD
Steven Gerrard to Rangers: Liverpool legend in talks to become next Gers manager

SunSport can reveal the Anfield icon is being lined up to replace Pedro Caixinha - seven months after the Portuguese coach was sacked

EXCLUSIVE
By Andy Devlin
25th April 2018, 11:59 pm
STEVEN GERRARD is in talks to become the next Rangers manager.

SunSport can reveal the Liverpool legend is being lined up to replace Pedro Caixinha – seven months after the Portuguese coach was sacked.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...ven-gerrard-rangers-liverpool-talks-manager/#
AFP OR LICENSORS
Gerrard has combined coaching at Liverpool with BT Sport punditry
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sp...ven-gerrard-rangers-liverpool-talks-manager/#
PA:pRESS ASSOCIATION
Mark Allen is leading the Gers delegation
The sensational move would see Gerrard go head-to-head with his former Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers in Glasgow.

However it will also raise eyebrows among the Ibrox support with Rangers seemingly set to turn to a man with no previous managerial experience.

Following his retirement from football in 2016, Gerrard has been coaching Liverpool’s under-18s.

The Gers job would represent a significant step up.

BT SPORT
Dave King watched Liverpool against Roma at Anfield on Tuesday night, next to Kenny Dalglish
PA:EMPICS SPORT
Gerrard lifted the Champions League as Liverpool captain in 2005
BET £10 WITH SUN BETS AND GET A FREE £30 BET

But it’s understood the former England international isn’t daunted by the size of the task or the challenge of restoring the club to its former glory.

Talks between all parties are said to be ongoing, but SunSport understands a deal is close with director of football Mark Allen leading the Ibrox delegation.

It is not going to happen.

Gerrard will move up the ranks at Anfield I think.

Great player but he is too much of a rookie at this time.

I’d imagine that a Champions League winning captain would garner far more respect from the average footballer than some of the other names linked i.e. Neil, Potter, Warnock.

On first meeting him yes, but after a couple of bad results, few arguments etc, I’m just not so sure.

On first meeting him yes, but after a couple of bad results, few arguments etc, I’m just not so sure.
You only have to look at the consensus on here to see how quickly some would turn on him. Despite his player as a career, he would be seen as a risk, not being an experienced Manager.

For the record, I would rather we recruited an experienced Manager but will get behind whoever is appointed.

I'm extremely doubtful Gerard will be the manager but IF it happens, I only see it going to one of two extremes. It will either be an inspired appointment like Souness with us, Zidane at Real, Pep at Barca. Or it will be a disaster like Neville at Valencia or Shearer at Newcastle. Obviously hoping for the former!

It will most likely be the latter, if they appoint him it shows the board have learned nothing. Appointing someone who has never managed a senior side before is madness

It is not going to happen.

Gerrard will move up the ranks at Anfield I think.

Great player but he is too much of a rookie at this time.
Whether it us with us or not I think he will look to branch away from Liverpool for a few years and get managerial experience.

If that's with us then so be it.

Remember when we where dominating and Celtic hired John Barnes?.... Dejavu all over again except it’s us with Gerrard, hope it doesn’t turn out the same way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back