Steven Gerrard 25/1 to 8/1 for rangers manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think SG will develop on from his academy role to management but cannot see it being with Rangers and cannot see it being now.

His appointment would hit the headlines but would be a massive gamble. We're not in a position to roll the dice just now.

Huge name in footballing terms, not management. He really needs to try lower leagues in England first and prove he can develop as a manager before taking on a job of this size. Or he could that a prove he is an excellent manager and then become out of our reach financially.

Catch 22. He would be a big risk.

It would be funny to see the musings of some posters on here if Gerrard got the gig. :D Not that he will I add.
I'm no fan of Liverpool as I'm sure you know mate, but I see a strong manager in Gerrard. I'd certainly not be disappointed if he came here - far from it. But we will no doubt get someone like Alex Neil :(

It would be funny to see the musings of some posters on here if Gerrard got the gig. :D Not that he will I add.

Dunno how things will go fro Gerrard. He is such an icon that, if he doesn't just work his way up through the ranks at Liverpool, where does he go? He could end up in a similar situation to Giggs at ManUre. Too risky to appoint at Man Utd and too big a name to risk failure in the lower leagues.

Certainly not a risk for Rangers to take.

Dunno how things will go fro Gerrard. He is such an icon that, if he doesn't just work his way up through the ranks at Liverpool, where does he go? He could end up in a similar situation to Giggs at ManUre. Too risky to appoint at Man Utd and too big a name to risk failure in the lower leagues.

Certainly not a risk for Rangers to take.
Agreed, not for now, which probably means not ever.

Sorry mate. I've only got a couple of honours degrees and 4 post grad certs.... but I cheated on all of them because I'm a thick twat lol.

But I really genuinely don't understand that post. Can you explain to me what it means please? My curiosity has got the better of me.

Is it really worth it? I was trying to be mildly humorous and failing.. And we all know about explained jokes.

See Rossiter and Gerard are Scouse so must be best mates. Funny assumption. Right?
Rossiter is always injured so is always on the treatment table getting fixed.

Bookies odds move so much for so little. So a small fraction of his wage.
"Earned" during a few minutes lying on a massage chair could have led to the dramatic price drift for his besty getting the job.
Now we can all giggle and move on.
Or probably not.
I'll put myself on a 7 day humour ban until I read up on it and see if I can master it. And if the next attempt is just as bad feel free to pull me up Mr Goudie and I'll immediately make it a month next time.
Is that fair?

P.s 2 degrees and 4 certs? So you have a really good memory. Well done bud. At least that will work out for us all when I next fail to be funny. You won't forget to pull me up.

I'm no fan of Liverpool as I'm sure you know mate, but I see a strong manager in Gerrard. I'd certainly not be disappointed if he came here - far from it. But we will no doubt get someone like Alex Neil :(
Maybe its the cynic in me but I think its why we are getting information about Macarthur and Arfield.

We are getting softened up to take an Alex Neil appointment or someone of a similar calibre.

Its going to be the same as Warburton and Caixiniha.

Warburton had Barton and Kranjcar as his 'exciting' signings.

Caixiniha had Alves, Pena and Herrera as his 'exciting' signings.

Neil may end up having Macarthur and Arfield as his name signings. Hoping they work out better than the previous combinations of managers and players.

To sum it up, we either get exciting, name players or we get a manager who grabs our attention for the right reasons. We dont get both IMO.

Maybe its the cynic in me but I think its why we are getting information about Macarthur and Arfield.

We are getting softened up to take an Alex Neil appointment or someone of a similar calibre.

Its going to be the same as Warburton and Caixiniha.

Warburton had Barton and Kranjcar as his 'exciting' signings.

Caixiniha had Alves, Pena and Herrera as his 'exciting' signings.

Neil may end up having Macarthur and Arfield as his name signings. Hoping they work out better than the previous combinations of managers and players.

To sum it up, we either get exciting, name players or we get a manager who grabs our attention for the right reasons. We dont get both IMO.
Good points mate.

I am extremely nervous on the next managerial appointment. I do not trust this board to deliver what we need/want. I hope they prove me wrong.

Good points mate.

I am extremely nervous on the next managerial appointment. I do not trust this board to deliver what we need/want. I hope they prove me wrong.
I dont think the board have the ambition to go for a good level of manager we would all get behind as well as good level players who are all going to be on massive wages for where we are.

From their viewpoint they probably dont think both is necessary.

Decent players who excite fans alongside an average, non exciting coach will be our lot for this coming season I think.

Alex Neil may be a good coach, but hes Hibs or Sheep level. No way should he be near our top job.

Players capable of wearing the jersey is all well and good but if the coach cant handle the pressure its all for nothing mate.

I dont think the board have the ambition to go for a good level of manager we would all get behind as well as good level players who are all going to be on massive wages for where we are.

From their viewpoint they probably dont think both is necessary.

Decent players who excite fans alongside an average, non exciting coach will be our lot for this coming season I think.

Alex Neil may be a good coach, but hes Hibs or Sheep level. No way should he be near our top job.

Players capable of wearing the jersey is all well and good but if the coach cant handle the pressure its all for nothing mate.
That's a good summary of the situation mate.

I agree about the board - lacking in ambition. The McInnes debacle confirmed that. That's why remain very nervous about their next move.

I think appointing SG would be a real statement of intent and would also give the whole place a monumental lift. Gerrard will be looking to get into management and it'd also be a great opportunity for him.

Cross off anyone who has been successful in England...they would demand a salary and budget the board wouldn't go for.
Cross off Clarke and Neil as their heart wouldnt be in it and again the board wouldnt sign off.
Cross off any ex-Ger who just needs a paycheck ....please.
That leaves the young managers who have had a some success with a limited budget and ready to make the step up. Jack Ross, Graham Potter or the likes are what we will be looking at. We have enough people on the payroll like Mark Allen to do a search and come up with a few candidates. Lets not go for something stupid like Pedro again.

Anybody starting to think there's something in this?

Worked closely with Rodgers, will know his methods/tactics inside out. I'd also imagine his name would be a massive draw for young British players...... Would obviously need to be alongside an experienced assistant.....

Surely not?

Worked closely with Rodgers, will know his methods/tactics inside out. I'd also imagine his name would be a massive draw for young British players...... Would obviously need to be alongside an experienced assistant.....

Surely not?

And deliberately slipped to deny Rogers the league title. This makes perfect sense.

Not sure what to make of this. Great captain and leader for Liverpool. Managerial career - ??

Personally think it would be a massive gamble that we simply cannot afford to make regardless of his big status in Football.

Who's to say a phenomonal player like Gerrard won't go onto be as good as Guardiola or a Simeone as opposed to a Shearer or John Barnes?

Nobody knows until they get a gig. Gerrard will get a big job in the near future. I'd be willing to lay my house that it won't be at Rangers, it's ludicrous :D

I thought bookies odds meant nothing?

If he came he’d need experience beside him but it’s still too big a gamble imo.

This would be a total gamble and madness ,surely it’s all a load of old cobblers.

Very quickly we could be trailing the filth again ,the only thing I’d say is that he’d probably be able to attract some good players ...but isn’t that mark Allen’s role .

File under pish ,surely Steven gerrard wouldn’t be rangers manager

Surely not?

I just dont see it.

We cant afford to gamble right now, and sg is probably the biggest gamble we could make

For all those saying well what about Souness souness had walter.

Souness was able to go out and sign the england captain and england number one

It was a different time and era back then. SG isnt gonna happen, way too much of a gamble when we need a pair of steady hands.

I’d question the sanity of anyone who’d happily gamble on a Scouse ned before taking someone who has at least proven themselves capable in senior management.

Scouse ned he may be, but when the magnificent bastard came Sir Walter came with him from a small Scottish club.
Gerrard and Clarke.
Batter away.

Huge name in footballing terms, not management. He really needs to try lower leagues in England first and prove he can develop as a manager before taking on a job of this size. Or he could that a prove he is an excellent manager and then become out of our reach financially.

Catch 22. He would be a big risk.
Unless I am wrong the last two decent players who have gone from EPL standard straight into management, and were successful ( won titles etc ), were Dalglish and Souness. Typically of this generation, modern players take their coaching badges and then expect to walk into big clubs. They won't entertain dropping to lower league clubs to get experience and earn less in a year than they used to in a week. It's ok being a youth coach, but most of these don't have to worry about results as you would managing the first team, just the style of play. Having said that, there will always be an exception to the rule, but, right at this period of time, I don't think another gamble is what Rangers supporters want or the club needs.

I'm no fan of Liverpool but was a massive Steven Gerrard fan - I'd have his type every day of the week. Not only a world class midfielder but captain and leader.

Managerial material - he's not a full season into managing Liverpool under 18's. Let that sink in before believing this story. I think he may well be a good manager one day but right now he's a million miles away from managing Rangers. The sad thing is, he'd be better than Murty but that's not the bench mark.

This would be a great appointment showing a real statement of intent IMO. An appointment of someone of the calibre of Gerrard will give the whole place a lift and will generate great media interest and have people talking about us in a positive manner for a change. The lift the players will get would be amazing, for instance if you're an upcoming player and someone like Gerrard rates you as player your confidence would go through the roof. I've said before if you want to be a big club you have to have a big name manager and he's certainly a big name. If the board can make this happen it really would put us on the road to 55.

Steven Gerrard taking over at Rangers ,the silly season has started a couple of weeks early
Aye and I await RVP to drop in betting to sign for us - how many times was this touted as nearly a done deal by bookies who had him as odds on favourite

This would be a great appointment showing a real statement of intent IMO. An appointment of someone of the calibre of Gerrard will give the whole place a lift and will generate great media interest and have people talking about us in a positive manner for a change. The lift the players will get would be amazing, for instance if you're an upcoming player and someone like Gerrard rates you as player your confidence would go through the roof. I've said before if you want to be a big club you have to have a big name manager and he's certainly a big name. If the board can make this happen it really would put us on the road to 55.

Based on what?

What on earth has gerrard done in management, that leads you to think hes the man to get us 55

Hes a liverpool youth team coach FFS.

Absolutely absurd. Appointing a guy who’s never managed at any decent level ever, that’s showing intent? Yeah if we’re intending to give up 10 in a row.

It would be a colossal gamble and I’d think that’s the last thing we need at this stage. He’s shown NOTHING in senior management, Yeah we wanted a big name, but we also want a big name he’s actually shown he can cut it in senior management. I can only assume it’s attractive to you as a Liverpool fan, because it sure as hell isnt based on any evidence he’s shown in a management capacity.

I’d imagine if Ronaldo turned round tomorrow and decided he fancied a crack at management you guys would be all for it. Mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back