Steven Gerrard admits Rangers face significant Glen Kamara transfer interest as he acclaims Neil McCann's development process

Valley Bluenose

I wouldn’t consider any less than 5 in fact I wouldn’t consider any offers at all
This, currently short, thread shows how bi-polar as a support we can be. We have some saying they'd gladly get rid of Kamara - seemingly regardless of fee - and others talking of £5m+.

I tried to be more measured in my guess at a fee. Its partly based on what we paid for him, how huge the profit would be and our need to get money in. Neither of those things are in any way related to his ability or what he's 'worth' in truth - but, in the real World, they are factors that come into play.

I could be miles out, quite happy to acknowledge that.

We seem to over-value or under-value players based solely on how 'popular' they are at any given time, not their ability. Tav is probably a prime example - one month he's worth £15m and the next he's worth tuppence. :)

BlueSevenTwo

This, currently short, thread shows how bi-polar as a support we can be. We have some saying they'd gladly get rid of Kamara - seemingly regardless of fee - and others talking of £5m+.

I tried to be more measured in my guess at a fee. Its partly based on what we paid for him, how huge the profit would be and our need to get money in. Neither of those things are in any way related to his ability or what he's 'worth' in truth - but, in the real World, they are factors that come into play.

Understand your logic tbf but I think if there is genuine interest from more than one club we need to raise the bar.

im_a_good_bluenose

I based it on a few factors.
How much would it cost to replace him
What is his potential
He is an international about to qualify for a major tournament for the first time
What does he bring to our team
What did similar players go for/ valued at

What doesn’t bother me is what we paid for him. That is our business and ours alone. On that basis the tims shouldn’t have got 20m for dumbele as they only paid 5 or 600k for him. Buy low sell high that’s how it works for us and then now

Take all that Ito account and that’s where I got my figure from. But football is about opinions.

sheddensbear

I think his major failing is he isn't attack minded enough for me. Good ball retention but when is he in the opposition goal area ? Happy to play until about 25m from opposition goal, then moves back. Does he ever shoot ? 1 goal in about 90 league/cup appearances as a pro.

im_a_good_bluenose

I think his major failing is he isn't attack minded enough for me. Good ball retention but when is he in the opposition goal area ? Happy to play until about 25m from opposition goal, then moves back. Does he ever shoot ? 1 goal in about 90 league/cup appearances as a pro.
I can think of 2 for us alone

Thornliebank_Bear

He went on a bit of a bad run had a few shockers recently but i dont think there is any doubt the lad is a superb footballer. Hes a very clever player he will play in one of the top leagues im sure of it just hope its not soon and hes for a while yet.

Spudgun

It says it all about the standard of Scottish sports "journalism"! Even if that clearance was the only thing he did (which it wasn't) it was as important as any of the goals. You have to laugh at the idiots who came up with that rating.
You could put a case for that clearance being more important , as game was level at that point.

Us going a goal down could have resulted in an entirely different game.

BlueSevenTwo

Dont sell.
Wouldn’t either but my initial point is we may need to balance the books.
Morelos is a no no for me.
Tav despite his recent form would need replaced.
As far as I am aware none of our other players are attracting interest so Kamara for decent money may have to go.

g/hillger

he's improving every season and the coaches will be working with him to build his game. he'l be one we get good money for in a few years. i love him. the finnish stuart munro.

JimmysGers

At the tail end of last season, Kamara was the first name on the sheet for me.

Perhaps not the case now but he can still be an important player for us. His Finland form and the fact so many teams are after him suggests he’s a man to keep.

Captain Cutlass

Official Ticketer
Gerrard sees the value of Kamara in our team and a good swathe of our fans do too but for some mysterious reason there are some that just don't rate the boy!
This guy has the potential to be a real star player for us with a huge sell on fee eventually!

BlueSevenTwo

Gerrard sees the value of Kamara in our team and a good swathe of our fans do too but for some mysterious reason there are some that just don't rate the boy!
This guy has the potential to be a real star player for us with a huge sell on fee eventually!
Definitely the type of player who splits opinions = quietly effective.
Thought he had a great game on Thursday and remember saying so at the game yet there were mixed reviews.
The fact there is EPL interest tells the story.

Russell

Thanks for posting OP. Glen is definitely playing well at the moment. Keep it up please young man.

SDF

John McGinn left Hibs with a year left on his deal for nearly £3m. Armstrong at the Tims went for £7m eith 12 months left.

The idea of selling Kamara with nearly 4 years on his deal then for £2m would be mental IMO.

Finnish international, performing well at European level, about to go to the Euros with his country ? Starting price should be £6/7m minimum.

YoungGer97

For those who underrate Kamara, i think it might be down to not really seeing or understanding the role he plays in the team - he is playing the role Jack used to play for us when he started here. There was a lot of people who similarly didn't see it with him, but of course since Gerrard has come in we've seen Jack transition from a typical number 6 to a fantastic number 8, and has become probably the most complete midfielder in Scotland this season as a result.

As for that number 6 role that Kamara has now occupied - Not flashy by any means but does all the quiet work - pressing, intercepting, passing forwards or to the wide men (creators), covering for full backs, recycling the ball and dictating tempo along with Davis (or Jack if he is playing deeper), creating space in the middle of the park and so on. Its absolutely key when playing European games or in International football where the standard is much higher and teams are all able to hurt one another.

Hope he doesn't leave because i really like him at Rangers but he's EXACTLY the type of player who would flourish in a league like the EPL. Also glad hes put his slow start to the season behind him and now getting back to his initial form.

chilebear

Wouldn’t either but my initial point is we may need to balance the books.
Morelos is a no no for me.
Tav despite his recent form would need replaced.
As far as I am aware none of our other players are attracting interest so Kamara for decent money may have to go.
How much would it cost to replace him though?
We need to get rid of deadwood before we sell first team players. Players like Doch will need to be moved on. Wed be lucky to gwt 450k for Docherty.
If were still in Europe arter xmas Kamara will be going no where.

VMS

Who could we get that's on a par if not better and at what cost,that sets the asking fee

Dalmuirbear

I don’t imagine Kamara is the only player in our squad who will be in demand come the end of the season (Morellos excluded)

Braeside58

John McGinn left Hibs with a year left on his deal for nearly £3m. Armstrong at the Tims went for £7m eith 12 months left.

The idea of selling Kamara with nearly 4 years on his deal then for £2m would be mental IMO.

Finnish international, performing well at European level, about to go to the Euros with his country ? Starting price should be £6/7m minimum.
Very sensible post.
As you say SDF, starting price should be £6/7M Minimum

Dalmuirbear

If the interest from EPL clubs is serious I wouldn’t be selling him for any less than £10 million.

We need to send out the message that we won’t sell on the cheap.

He is only 23, EPL academy background, playing well on both European and International stage and has a 4 year contract.

If he was a championship player with those selling points you wouldn’t get an invitation to the table at less than £10 million.