Steven Gerrard could get Rangers ban stay of execution as Robbie Neilson timeline offers Celtic Park hope

Salamanca

The Ibrox boss was sent off by referee John Beaton during Wednesday night's win over Livingston following a dispute over a penalty not awarded to striker Alfredo Morelos.

Steven Gerrard will be in the Rangers technical area for the potential title winning trip to Parkhead - if the Scottish FA stick to the same disciplinary timescale they used when banning Hearts boss Robbie Neilson after a red card offence earlier in the season.

Gerrard was sent off by referee John Beaton at half time in the 1-0 victory over Livingston on Wednesday after complaining about the decision not to award Alfredo Morelos a penalty after he was caught by keeper Max Stryjek and book the Colombian for diving.

Rangers have appealed Morelos' caution and an fast track tribunal will be take place today - but Gerrard's dismissal won't be dealt with under the same process and there is no set deadline for a hearing.

However, it took Hampden disciplinary chiefs almost a month to take action against Hearts boss Neilson after he also fell foul of Beaton during a 3-2 defeat to Raith back in January.

If the SFA follows a similar time frame, it will mean Gerrard will be free to take his place in the dugout when his side run out at Parkhead on March 21.

Neilson - who was also dismissed after confronting Beaton - was handed a four-game ban, with two suspended, and Gerrard can expect a similar punishment.

Speaking after the match, Gerrard told Sky Sports: "I asked for an explanation at half-time and the explanation I wanted is how can three people miss the same incident when they're looking straight at it.

"That's the only explanation I wanted.

"OK, I got a little bit emotional which I apologise for but at this level with those experienced officials you expect better.

"I just wanted a conversation, he didn't look at me. He walked away from me.

"He said to me he wanted to speak to me inside but how can you speak inside if we're all in separate stands? It's impossible.

"I don't feel like I've done anything wrong expect ask for an explanation. That's all."

Is there any way of seeing the official referees match report for the Livingston game?

I tried looking on the SFA website but they don't seem to publish the match reports there. I was looking to see what reason Beaton gave for giving Gerrard the second yellow when he was walking away with his back turned.

Is there any way of seeing the official referees match report for the Livingston game?

I tried looking on the SFA website but they don't seem to publish the match reports there. I was looking to see what reason Beaton gave for giving Gerrard the second yellow when he was walking away with his back turned.
I think this would go a long way to solving issues if they were allowed to issue the report

As he is walking away, Gerrard turns and says something (might have been "F--- off"). RTV Away Days has footage of the incident from a different angle and you can see that after Gerrard turns and says whatever he said, Beaton immediately changes direction to go toward Gerrard while reaching for his card.

As he is walking away, Gerrard turns and says something (might have been "F--- off"). RTV Away Days has footage of the incident from a different angle and you can see that after Gerrard turns and says whatever he said, Beaton immediately changes direction to go toward Gerrard while reaching for his card.
Ye he did,he didn't just turn and walk away as many have said.
He did turn his head and say something else,what it was who knows but Beaton reached for his card after it.
Hope he did tell him to %^*& off,would have been worth it

Cause and effect. StevieG has no cause to have any issue, except the effect of Beaton‘s utter inability to make an obvious correct decision.

Ineptitude or cheating, or both together.

Correct. When Alfie is found not guilty, so should the Gaffer. No cheating by Beaton and no subsequent incident with Stevie at half-time.

Last edited:
I read last night on a blog that the gaffer said “you’re f**king dead wrong” and given the arrogant way Beaton dealt with it you can’t really blame him for a sweary word.

Last edited:
common denominator ....beaton .i'm pretty sure stevie g will not give a toss if he's a few seats into the stand anyway ,as long as he takes the anti bac wipes to the seats first in that hovell

Ye he did,he didn't just turn and walk away as many have said.
He did turn his head and say something else,what it was who knows but Beaton reached for his card after it.
Hope he did tell him to %^*& off,would have been worth it
SG should have stuck his boot in him too for good measure. if your taking a red ,might as well make it count

In all honesty it makes no difference if he is on the sideline or the stand, due to Covid restrictions he has direct contact with the coaching team and the lads on the pitch.

As for the celebrations, he may not be allowed pitch side but I see no reason why the players cannot celebrate with him in the empty stand

Aren't these bans completely pointless due to there being no fans in the ground? I'm pretty sure Gerrard could sit anywhere in the stadium and shout clear instructions to his team.

Reactions: GF1
Aren't these bans completely pointless due to there being no fans in the ground? I'm pretty sure Gerrard could sit anywhere in the stadium and shout clear instructions to his team.
I was thinking the same thing. Could sit in the top tier and still be heard on the pitch

If it comes down to The Famous 55 dugout v's Terry Munro dugout at the auld firm game... SG is better off in the stand... He'd be head to head against the bravest guy in Scotland / World... I still prefer men stand a chance :shh: B-D

In my workplace, if there was an individual at the heart of so many serious problems, the focus would be turned on them.

Beaton has had several issues with several managers and the SFA should be asking why. Fair enough he made a horrible, possibly costly, error. But his reaction, ignoring Gerrard completely, showed utter disregard and disrespect for the manager. This is recorded, televised to a large audience. The SFA surely have seen it, and must be asking questions of Beaton’s ability to communicate.

Gerrard will not be banned for the title party imo.

Pictures will be going round the world, SFA won't want any additional controversy as to why he is in the stands

Foul and abusive language

Today on SSN Beaton was describe by Billy Dodds as arrogant. For probably the first time ever, I agree with Dodds but I would like to add Fuukin and tw@t to either side of Dodds description.
was in Chinaski's years ago and Dodds was in with some guy, guy goes to the bar 'pint billy?'

jug ears: I cant handle pints, half pint mate

Never trust a man that cant handle a pint.

As the players are subject to the C.O. I reckon referees should be too. Only fair for the kind of shit decisions as Beaton made on Wed. In any other job sub standard performance would lead to disciplinary action and / or dismissal.

And the same ref involved again. Maybe Sellik FA should be saying "wait a minute this is the same ref, should we be looking at his performance."

He will just accept the punishment he said as much by admitting his language was colourful

If Beatons 'assessment' of Freddys penalty incident is based on past reputation, then maybe the SFA/SPFL should be assessing Beatons past performances and getting him to fkk away from our game. He`s totally incompetent and should be run out the game.

So it could be a 4 game ban for some words to a referee and yet our players get physically assaulted near on every game and players are lucky if they get a booking?

You couldn't make it up. The people who run the SFA and the referees are a bunch of bullies who think they are more important than the players who play the game and the fans who support it.

I said something similar in the mid 90s in the fanzine before the technoligcal and electrical age consumed us.

For the sake of clarity, the referee, should be made to sit down after a game and write down his match report and send it to the relevant authourities at that time.

That way his views cannot be swayed by BBC Scumland, Snyde or any of the rest of the media.

His match report should be sent to his masters and also the management of the two teams involved.

It is that simple.

I would think Gerrard is a cert for a 2 match ban that takes him out of the Piggery and whatever follows it.

It is not in the nature of the SPFL, the SFA or the farce that is the Compliance Office todo anything other than take advantage of any chance for a poke at Rangers.

I said something similar in the mid 90s in the fanzine before the technoligcal and electrical age consumed us.

For the sake of clarity, the referee, should be made to sit down after a game and write down his match report and send it to the relevant authourities at that time.

That way his views cannot be swayed by BBC Scumland, Snyde or any of the rest of the media.

His match report should be sent to his masters and also the management of the two teams involved.

It is that simple.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that already was the case?

I thought refs already did have to write a report after the game explaining the logic behind each major decision they made and had to send it to the SFA, but it was just kept out of public domain.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that already was the case?

I thought refs already did have to write a report after the game explaining the logic behind each major decision they made and had to send it to the SFA, but it was just kept out of public domain.
Like explain on live TV about an incident only to flip the answer completely in the report!!

Back