Steven Gerrard delighted with the win tonight

ItsInTheNet

STEVEN Gerrard last night insisted he was delighted to see Rangers win ugly against St Mirren and maintain the pressure on Celtic at the top of the Ladbrokes Premiership.

A first-half Jermain Defoe goal secured a narrow win for Gerrard’s side over Jim Goodwin’s team at Ibrox and kept them just two points behind their city rivals in the table.

The Rangers manager, whose men have a game in hand against St Johnstone at home still to play, admitted his charges didn’t perform at their best in their first league game since their win over Celtic at Parkhead last month.

However, the former Liverpool and England midfielder stressed that picking up all three points was the most important objective for his side and declared himself happy with the final outcome.
“I’m delighted with it, in terms of the outcome and result,” he said. “It gets us closer to where we want to be, six wins on the spin. So I’m positive, I’m happy.
“I understand some of the frustration around the fans, and the players, not scoring three or four. Over course of the season it’s not going to be perfect in every game. We’re still trying to find top gear.

“But it’s a win, a clean sheet, defensively very sound. We could have killed the game off, but it wasn’t to be.
“We expected St Mirren to come with that formation, to try to stay in the game as long as they could. They were very well drilled. We always knew, if the scoreline wasn’t out of reach, they would show more ambition late on.
“It left gaps we maybe should have capitalised on. But we’ll take the win and move on.”
Gerrard added: “You see Rangers v St Mirren and expect three, four five. It’s not always going to be like that You’ve got to respect them. It’s the same outcome.
“The fans are entitled to moan and groan if they want, if they’re not seeing what they expect. I’m not sitting here saying we were outstanding, everything is flying and we were brilliant. But we’re winning, doing whatever it takes to win games.

“There will be nights when we’re better, when we score more goals. But I’m not sitting here with any negativity."

Sitting biting your fingernails in the last few minutes playing St.Mirren at Ibrox is never good.
We were flat, slow and passed the ball from side to side far too often, also trying to play through a packed defence isn’t really going to work.

If you look at that game from a Nuetral point of view, it was never in any doubt.

St Mirren had one decent attempt in the whole game, Rangers had loads of attempts and did not get any breaks in the box apart from the goal

I am happy with the result, the performance was OK, but all that matters from now is winning.

Sitting biting your fingernails in the last few minutes playing St.Mirren at Ibrox is never good.
We were flat, slow and passed the ball from side to side far too often, also trying to play through a packed defence isn’t really going to work.

We’re just back off a 3 week layoff, missing 2 of our best players and playing against a team of 10 in their own box. We take the win, we move on and we keep motoring.

really? Never thought or worried that they might score

Agree with so much that the gaffer has said tonight, although I just wish he would set up a bit differently against teams that are going to be as negative.

Was always going to be a tough game with 9 men, sometimes 10, behind the ball. 2nd game back after the winter break with only Stranraer to test us previously other than friendlies. So, I guess he's cool to be happy with that.

We’re just back off a 3 week layoff, missing 2 of our best players and playing against a team of 10 in their own box. We take the win, we move on and we keep motoring.
We’ve played like that many times before our winter break against teams who parked it so stop making excuses.

If he’s happy, I’m happy. The gaffer knows the standard required and has told us enough when we don’t perform.

was waiting for sg to have a dig,but once again hes spot on,in our glory years there were games we didnt respond,3 points is all that matters

As long as the manager knows we have to up the tempo from here onwards, we live with it.

And I know he does.

We got there.

I actually thought St Boo played half decent.

But then again, I've always been a fair minded sort of cove.

We struggled last season to breakdown sides who sit in and nothing has changed much this season. Got two 1-0 wins in our last two home league games which is ultimately the objective but has been a painful 180 minutes to sit through.

At the end of the day its all about 3 points. Goals and flair are a bonus and we have been spoiled with strong performances for much of the season so we cant realisticly expect that every game. Walters teams ground out results like this that won us 9 in a row so I will happily take a 1 nil and a bland 3 points from time to time.

I said after the win at parkhead that this season has seen incremental gains on the previous one.

Tonight we won our first game after the break - another gain on last year. SG won’t be delighted by the performance but will value the win.

Just wish the panty wetters on the match thread kept their legs crossed crossed until they heard from the gaffer.

Tonight was exactly as I expected without two VITAL players.

The difference between Morelos & Defoe is really significant.

Additionally, Tav sets the pace we play at & hopefully the moaners will appreciate him after seeing what we miss when he isn’t there.

My question tonight is - do the fans have the bottle for a tight title race because we need to raise the volume & the pace to HELP the team win the title. Some shouts around me were fucking criminal to be honest.

First game after the break and another 3 points, no injuries and Morelos back too, I can see why Gerrard is delighted.

Gaffer just saying what most of us think. 3 points was the main thing tonight and it’s the same Sunday. Once we play a couple of games we will be back to the standard we were at before the break

We dug out 3 points but that was not easy on the eye football. I remain to be convinced that Flanagan and Ojo bring enough to the team.

Can’t argue with the man but it’s nicer and less stressful if we can move into the last ten with at least a two goal cushion.

Back