Steven Gerrard desperate to watch Manchester City vs Liverpool

MacBear

Steven Gerrard looks ahead to the must-watch match on Sunday

Steven Gerrard says his Rangers team "will do everything" to watch Liverpool's top-of-the-table clash against Manchester City on Sunday.

Gerrard - who spent 26 years at Liverpool - and his squad will be racing onto the team bus after Sunday's Scottish Premiership match at Livingston to catch the game.

"We've been on the back of our coach driver because there's something wrong with the Sky feed," said Gerrard.

"And he best have it right for Sunday because I want to catch the second half.

"We'll do everything we can to get it on that's for sure. What a game that'll be."

Liverpool have not won a league title since 1990 and it was a trophy that evaded Gerrard during his time as a player

But they go into this weekend's game against champions City with a six-point advantage.

"That's a nice lead in terms of where Liverpool are," added Gerrard.

"But you can never write Manchester City off with a world class manager like Pep Guardiola and the quality they've got in the squad.

"It'd be very foolish to write them off because on their day they're capable of beating anyone.

"But at the moment you'd rather be in Liverpool's position that's for sure."

'We've got a responsibility to improve in Europe'

Gerrard believes Scottish clubs need to keep improving in Europe to atone for years of under-performing.

Both Old Firm sides registered significant victories in their respective Europa League groups on Thursday night, with Celtic winning away against Lazio and Rangers defeating Porto at Ibrox.

skysports-rangers-morelos-football_4829660.jpg

Rangers scored twice to upset Porto at Ibrox in the Europa League

Those results have helped push Scottish football's UEFA coefficient to a five-year high and to within one spot in the rankings of having two Champions League qualifying places from 2021/22.

Gerrard savoured that upturn in fortunes but warned it would need to continue.

He said: "We all have to keep working towards making it better. Because the record isn't good enough for the size of the clubs that are up here with the history of Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen.

"We've all got a responsibility to try to improve that as over the past decade it hasn't been good enough. Clubs of that size deserve to be in Europe and the fans need it.

"It would be fantastic for the Scottish game [to get a second Champions League place] and it's exactly what it needs.

"We can only focus on what's happening here [at Rangers] and we've been working hard towards getting some respect back in Europe.

"We want people to know we won't be pushovers and that we're going to fight as hard as we can."

Who's the bus driver? He had better get the Sky sorted, can't have anyone upsetting the gaffer!

We definitely have some respect back in Europe now and I can't get enough of quotes like that last one. :)

Not that it is a problem but the coaching staff, unsurprisingly, are loathe to miss Liverpool games and will moan at the training ground if they can't watch it. :D First thing they do when they leave the pitch after a game is ask the Liverpool result.

He shouldn’t be wondering or worrying about Liverpool. A hundred per cent not.

Why? Like us he is a football fan and wants to watch the second half of agame that should his team win makes them red hot favourites to win the league for the first time in decades.

So long as he does his job at training tomorrow and the team do the business at Livingston I fail to see what the problem is here?

Why? Like us he is a football fan and wants to watch the second half of agame that should his team win makes them red hot favourites to win the league for the first time in decades.

So long as he does his job at training tomorrow and the team do the business at Livingston I fail to see what the problem is here?

He should be 100 per cent solely concentrating on getting 3 points for us on Sunday and then he can take an interest in other matters. But not before.

If I was working for McDonalds and spent COMPANY TIME watching videos about Burger King I would be sacked and RIGHTLY so. Gerrard needs to remember who PAYS HIS WAGES. When he is on that bus he is still CLOCKED IN.

I thought he was the man for the job after last night but QUITE CLEARLY his HEART is somewhere else.

I’m not even kidding when I say he shouldn’t have mentioned it at all. Little does he know there’s absolute roasters and mentalists within our support who will legitimately use that against him should we drop points at the weekend
And on that fucking park it’s very possible

Are you suggesting he’s not 100% focussed on beating Livingston? That would be questioning his professionalism.

I think it’s the mention of Liverpool that’s rattled your cage :))
The Man City SuperRangers of the forum :))

If I was working for McDonalds and spent COMPANY TIME watching videos about Burger King I would be sacked and RIGHTLY so. Gerrard needs to remember who PAYS HIS WAGES. When he is on that bus he is still CLOCKED IN.

I thought he was the man for the job after last night but QUITE CLEARLY his HEART is somewhere else.

when he is on the bus , he is actually heading home , so not clocked in

When he is still wearing the FAMOUS CLUB TIE of the GLASGOW RANGERS he is clocked in. He shouldn't even be thinking about Liverpool when he has our colours on his person.

he can think about liverpool any time and any day of the week for all i care , he's professional and will make sure we are prepared. are you the thought police. GEORGE ORWELL 1984

He should be 100 per cent solely concentrating on getting 3 points for us on Sunday and then he can take an interest in other matters. But not before.

FFS, lighten up mate.
How about this scenario ... his Mrs asks him what he'd like to have for his dinner Sunday ... should his response be, "quiet woman, I'm 100% focussed on the Livi game, ask me after we have the 3 points in the bag" :)

Back