Steven Gerrard has restored Rangers global 'respect' and deserves place among Ibrox legends insists John Greig

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Greatest Ever Ranger John Greig insists Steven Gerrard should be among the pantheon of Ibrox greats for restoring the club's "respect".

The Barcelona Bear and legendary former captain believes current boss Gerrard deserves the highest recognition after the preceding near-decade of dominance from rivals Celtic and all the turmoil off and on the park at Rangers.

Gerrard steered the club to an unbeaten Premiership title last term to stop the Hoops' attempt at 10 pIn A Row and ahead of a friendly against Real Madrid this weekend – a side Greig faced near the start of his career in 1963 – he believes big clubs beyond these shores are starting to see the Govan outfit as their equals again.

The match is part of this season's 150th anniversary celebrations and Greig can't think of many who have given more to the Ibrox cause in that century and a half.

"This club is an institution," he told the Rangers YouTube channel. "There have been some great players, managers and chairmen of the club going through that 150 years.

"I think it would be nice to pause for a second during the next year and think back to some of the famous names that have walked through the door – because they've all helped to make this club what it is.

Nobody more so than Steven.

"As I said to him a few weeks ago, winning the league championship here after all these years wasn't just great for winning the championship.

"I think what he did, after the previous 10 years we had at this club, it gave this club back a lot of respect. Both at home and abroad.

"I think that's important because we are a big club, we had a good name in Europe, and hopefully we're resurrecting it now."

It shows just how respected Steven is at Ibrox. That’s a big label for a young manager, but he genuinely deserves it. To take us to the top unbeaten, break all sorts of records and take us beyond the group stages of Europe, he has earned his place in Rangers illustrious history.
55 is the sweetest so far!

Greatest Ever Ranger John Greig insists Steven Gerrard should be among the pantheon of Ibrox greats for restoring the club's "respect".

The Barcelona Bear and legendary former captain believes current boss Gerrard deserves the highest recognition after the preceding near-decade of dominance from rivals Celtic and all the turmoil off and on the park at Rangers.

Gerrard steered the club to an unbeaten Premiership title last term to stop the Hoops' attempt at 10 pIn A Row and ahead of a friendly against Real Madrid this weekend – a side Greig faced near the start of his career in 1963 – he believes big clubs beyond these shores are starting to see the Govan outfit as their equals again.

The match is part of this season's 150th anniversary celebrations and Greig can't think of many who have given more to the Ibrox cause in that century and a half.

"This club is an institution," he told the Rangers YouTube channel. "There have been some great players, managers and chairmen of the club going through that 150 years.

"I think it would be nice to pause for a second during the next year and think back to some of the famous names that have walked through the door – because they've all helped to make this club what it is.

"As I said to him a few weeks ago, winning the league championship here after all these years wasn't just great for winning the championship.

"I think what he did, after the previous 10 years we had at this club, it gave this club back a lot of respect. Both at home and abroad.

"I think that's important because we are a big club, we had a good name in Europe, and hopefully we're resurrecting it now."
Im Absolutely 100% up for that.
No Brainer.;)

the very important thing is to remember how low we were ten years ago, but also how low we were before Gerrard came in. Although our expectations always remained high, the turnaround with this man as boss is staggering. The league win last year was staggering, the European performances have been out of this world and the style of football has been absolutely lovely to watch.

Whatever happens from here on in, nothing can ever take that away from Steven.

I've said quite a few times before on this forum. Gerrard has not only gave us a team to be proud of. He has brought standards back, which we were glaringly missing, and he has got our club back to being a respected opposition in European football, albeit at Europa level at the moment. I don't think we can underestimate the job he has done, and regardless of how his career goes, he will always be remembered for 55. The man quite simply is a legend now.

Last edited:
the very important thing is to remember how low we were ten years ago, but also how low we were before Gerrard came in. Although our expectations always remained high, the turnaround with this man as boss is staggering. The league win last year was staggering, the European performances have been out of this world and the style of football has been absolutely lovely to watch.

Whatever happens from here on in, nothing can ever take that away from Steven.

Agree with all of the above.

Gerrard has fixed us and in some considerable style.

And you know what, he’s the type of character that will want more and to do even better. An attribute I love. Long may he reign :))

I cannot disagree with a word said there by Mr Greig. I said it at the time but I managed to hold back the emotion on trophy day until I saw JG handing the trophy over to Tav. I couldn't think of a better man to carry out that duty, I am sure that JG has been a great help to Tav as he has grown into the role of Rangers Captain and that the Greatest Ever Ranger will be proud of our current skipper.

It's actually a depressing thought that he will leave one day. There's been such an I provender 9ver the last three years.

We could have had McInnes ffs.

Enjoy it whilst it's here bears

Certainly can't disagree with anything Mr Greig has said, hopefully Gerrard is with us for many more years.

I’m with George what Steven Gerrard has achieved has been miraculous , in the sense of the development of a European type modern football team going through all of these pressured qualifiers to groups stages - and beyond - plus the domestic grind to being the unequivocal established best in the country All in an environment of hate and hostility and let’s be honest outright corruption .

I cannot say how highly I think of him and his staff and these players . They are truly remarkable .

I love them all .

what a time to be alive, I for one am cherishing the time Steven Gerrard is our manager I had a gut feeling this was going to be good, that this was special it’s even better than I could have imagined.

Absolutely John.
Couldn’t agree more.
As is, for me…the man who brought Steven to our club.
Step forward ‘Ibrox Great’ Dave King.
Their places, in Rangers folklore for ever …intertwined.

John Greig was Rangers manager when I started going to Ibrox. They were not good times but I have always had huge respect for him. He is always worth listening to. He could not be more right about Gerrard.

Am I being greedy hoping Gerrard sticks around for three?

Reactions: TQ3
Back