Steven Gerrard has spoken exclusively to former team-mate Danny Murphy

Can see him doing a Rodgers if he got the chance to manage in the Premiership.

Great interview.
Reflective in terms of his post match interview and general management technique after a good or bad result.

The biggest take?
“Nobody asks if I need two or three goes elsewhere”

Everybody seems to be under the impression our gig is his audition for Liverpool. I think this is due to his ease and experience with the media and his ability to say the right thing at the right time to the right audience.

That quote and his slip of the tongue the other week about a big club makes me think SG is looking for a longer apprenticeship than 4 years in Glasgow.

Great interview.
Reflective in terms of his post match interview and general management technique after a good or bad result.

The biggest take?

Everybody seems to be under the impression our gig is his audition for Liverpool. I think this is due to his ease and experience with the media and his ability to say the right thing at the right time to the right audience.

That quote and his slip of the tongue the other week about a big club makes me think SG is looking for a longer apprenticeship than 4 years in Glasgow.

He said on Carragher’s podcast that he didn’t want to be in his 50’s managing a football club. He’ll be a 2 club manager.

Great interview.

The biggest take?

Possibly me just being dumb but are you implying he will be here for the long haul it he is likely to leave?

Possibly me just being dumb but are you implying he will be here for the long haul it he is likely to leave?

I think he’ll take the right opportunity if it’s the right opportunity and it doesn’t have to be Liverpool.
Personally I don’t care provided he continues to progress the club as he has done.
I imagine there will be some hysteria should that day come, however.

There is a lot of presumption that Gerrard's next move from us would be Liverpool. However there is the possibility that If Southgate gets a bad run of results and England want to go English again then Gerrard could be a contender for the England job: following winning a league title at Rangers of course or the Europa League!
Southgate wasn't exactly a winner of trophies before getting the England job. As long as Gerrard stops the mhanks 10 in a row against against the other Scottish clubs and 5 in row against Rangers then good luck to him at England or indeed Liverpool;)

I can’t see him being happy somewhere there’s no pressure to win, mid table premiership clubs I’m not sure would be able to keep the fire in his belly going.

I honestly don’t think the manager doesn’t get affected by the way we get treated in this backward country, I feel like we get a decent run/results then the negative shit starts , it affects me and I’m pretty sure it’s affecting the team ... How the %^*& can we be so bad after the winter break... we certainly are a team who relies on confidence... I honestly don’t know how Morelos is still here , most players would have fùcked off by now... fair play to the boy

I don't think for a minute that S.G. would leave us in the lurch - I believe 100% that he is a man of his word ; I could be wrong though ...... In football , you just never know .
No doubt he will move on in the future , let's just hope that ( for obvious reasons ) the time is right for , and suits , all parties .

im with whosthedado9 with this, I can’t see Gerrard going to the prem for anyone but Liverpool. The other job I’d see him take is England .

I think he is with us until at least 2024, he is a loyal guy who will appreciate the loyalty our club has shown him allowing him to cut his teeth at such a massive institution. Gerrard is a proper football guy and he sees just what Rangers is all about and probably the potential for growth. He will love the project he has here.

we enjoy him until 2024, he goes to Liverpool but will leave a Rangers legend too. I think it’s no coincidence that his and Klopp have contracts running out at the same time.

perhaps we will do another Walter When Souness left and promote from within. I think Beale would turn out to be a wonderful manager and again in 2024 he might just want to step into a top job himself. I’d hope we would keep the likes of McAllister for a bit of continuity.

I think the cycle is about to change and it will be a spell of success for Rangers again

I can only ever see him being the manager of 2 other teams Liverpool and England

He’s got a long, long way to go before he will be considered for the Liverpool managers job, they are arguably the top club in world football, sentiment and what he done as a player will only go so far.

There is a lot of presumption that Gerrard's next move from us would be Liverpool. However there is the possibility that If Southgate gets a bad run of results and England want to go English again then Gerrard could be a contender for the England job: following winning a league title at Rangers of course or the Europa League!
Southgate wasn't exactly a winner of trophies before getting the England job. As long as Gerrard stops the mhanks 10 in a row against against the other Scottish clubs and 5 in row against Rangers then good luck to him at England or indeed Liverpool;)

There’s a lot of presumption that Gerrard’s next move will be the Liverpool job is indeed correct.

It’s unlikely that Liverpool, who are only just returning to supremacy in England after 30 long years, are going to stake their future on someone that hasn’t won anything.

Gerrard is doing a fine job with us, but he’s going to need to do an awful lot more to make himself the shoe-in for Anfield many believe and there’s a very good chance he’ll only have a further season at Ibrox to achieve that.

Being manager of Rangers is one of the most prestigious jobs in football; there is really not many managers roles out there as good as this one. When Gerrard leaves I hope the club are, even now, thinking a step ahead of that, and one thing I'd like to see is Lovenkrands and Thomson being looked at in the long term to play a role at Rangers; possibly as managers one day, but who knows. I could envisage Van Bronkhorst as manager, with those two as his assistants in the not too distant future. The management of the club has never been a stepping stone before, if that's indeed the case at present then I suppose the last few years have made that possible, for the moment; but it doesn't escape the fact that, in management, when Rangers is back to its best then it is up there with the best there is anywhere.

I don't, I think he has a determination to be the best manager he can be. By the time he leaves we'll have been successful he has the hunger and desire to succeed the same as he had as a player and I'm fairly certain that will be instilled into the players. I also believe that he loves it here and he'll know himself that if wants to make his mark in management he has to be successful with us.

He wont do a rat move like Rodgers i dont think.
He'll be here at least til we win the league. And hopefully more progress in Europe in next few seasons too

Not much praise for us in that interview. Feels like he used to go out his way to make sure he said Joe huge a club we were and how happy he is here etc.

Hope I'm wrong and maybe he's just fed up saying but it read a bit different.

There’s a lot of presumption that Gerrard’s next move will be the Liverpool job is indeed correct.

It’s unlikely that Liverpool, who are only just returning to supremacy in England after 30 long years, are going to stake their future on someone that hasn’t won anything.

Gerrard is doing a fine job with us, but he’s going to need to do an awful lot more to make himself the shoe-in for Anfield many believe and there’s a very good chance he’ll only have a further season at Ibrox to achieve that.

A trophy less season this season and he's under immense pressure next season.

SG at this stage will not be thinking of a possible Liverpool move,yes he maybe dream of one,which is to be expected.He is not stupid,he realises he still has a lot of work to do here and will be feeling the pressure right now.
He knows a trophy less season puts him a step back and the only thing in his mind will be success next season.
He could be a really successful manager but on the other hand things could really go pear shape.

Back