Steven Gerrard has ticked two Rangers boxes but knows the third will define him - Barry Ferguson

BlueMeanie

Barry believes a new deal for the Ibrox boss is well deserved but hopes the best is still to come.

They say two out of three ain’t bad. But three out of three is better and nobody knows that more than Steven Gerrard.
Yesterday, he ticked one box by committing his future to Rangers.
He’s achieved another goal by overseeing a vast improvement on the playing side. Now it’s time to deliver the third by stopping Celtic from reaching nine in a row.
Believe me, that is the ultimate prize and nobody will be more aware of that than Gerrard.
Because even though his achievements in his 18 months in charge are far better than ‘not bad’ this is a man driven by success.
By signing the new deal he has cut short any claims that he is using the club as a stepping stone and now he will be focused on putting silverware in the cabinet.

The contract shows that he is settled, committed and is determined to lead the club.
That’s what the fans want because there’s always going to be rumours down south after the job he has done up here.
People think it’s just because of his huge profile in England and his success as a player at Liverpool.
But he has proved he can manage a big club if you look at where he has taken Rangers from where they were when he took over.
Now he is signed until 2024 it’s time to build on the progress. The next four years will be interesting.
You can’t do it overnight. There’s no magic wand. But Rangers are still in three competitions and whatever one it is then you have to go in with the mindset that anything’s possible.
Even in Europe. Okay I’m a realist but you just never know. Look at 2008 when nobody gave us a chance.
No matter who comes to Ibrox on a European night I’d fancy Rangers to get a result.
It’s always going to be in the back of the mind that they need to stop Celtic in the league this season.
It’s certainly in the back of my mind so I can only imagine what it’s like for the manager.
But you need to just focus on winning games of football on a Saturday or Sunday.
It’s never-ending and I’m afraid that’s what you get at a massive club like Rangers.
You have to deal with the lows of last week, the highs of Thursday night and focus every day in training.
Look at Alfredo Morelos. He was under the spotlight against Young Boys after drawing another blank in the Betfred Cup final defeat to Celtic but he shut the critics up.
Hampden would still have been in the back on his mind. But the way he took his goal against Young Boys – it wasn’t just instinctive and he had two or three seconds to think about his finish – shows he has a calm head when it matters.

You saw with his celebration that there was a bit of an apology to the supporters. Listen, that shows me the boy cares.
A striker will always be criticised for missing chances and he had a couple of sniffs just before he scored on Thursday too. But the important thing is he put it right.
Alfredo keeps going and keeps getting in the right positions. I thought it was a really cool, calm and collected finish. He’s a tough nut and I was delighted for him.
To finish as the top scorer for the group stage is an outstanding achievement when you think of some of the strikers playing in the competition.
And keeping hold of him beyond January will be key to what Gerrard and the club are trying to do this season.
Getting through the toughest of groups in Europe will give them a new belief. They have to be proud.

I’ll not lie, when the equaliser went in the other night it was a worry. The last four minutes seemed like 40 and I was just thinking “blow the f****** whistle ref’.
But it was always going to get edgy. All that matters was getting over the line and they did that.
Looking at where they stood in June before the qualifiers even began then it’s a magnificent achievement.
When you look at the teams in the draw for the last 32 then it gets you salivating. That’s what you want when you are at a club like Rangers.
And I’ll tell you what – I’d fancy this team against anyone on a European night under the lights at Ibrox.
Inter Milan, Sevilla, Manchester United, Arsenal, Ajax.
These are exactly the kind of teams you want to play against and the players have to embrace the opportunity.

Bring it on. That’s what it’s all about in the latter stages.
It’s a chance to take a massive scalp and make a name for yourself.
That’s why you want to be involved in big European nights.
I always get asked if you’d want a European run or to be up challenging for the title.
But Rangers are getting the best of both worlds.
They are two points behind Celtic, they have got to a cup final. Okay there was the disappointment of losing it, but now they are into the last 32 in Europe.
You have to be greedy and right now I don’t think Rangers fans could ask for much more.

They are two points behind Celtic, they have got to a cup final. Okay there was the disappointment of losing it, but now they are into the last 32 in Europe.
You have to be greedy and right now I don’t think Rangers fans could ask for much more.

He’s not far wrong here. Eek!
As a support we always want to run before we can walk. We’ve come a huge step with more to come.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be on to slaughter Barry (probably without even reading the article), but nothing controversial there at all. Barry knows the demands of our clubs better than most - fortunately I think our manager does also.

If you don’t deliver trophies as a rangers manager - you’ve failed.

Simple as that!
This is it in a nutshell.

Gerrard gets a pass for longer than most because of the utter shambles he inherited and because it’s blindingly obvious just how much we have improved under him but that good will won’t last forever if we don’t start winning trophies and I think that’s fair enough.

I was pissed off after cup final. But we were toe to.toe with Celtc in it...

Beaten by an offside goal, and Foster (it pains to say) played too good that day.

The improvement under Gerrard (with still room for more improvement) has been great

I'm sure the usual suspects will be on to slaughter Barry (probably without even reading the article), but nothing controversial there at all. Barry knows the demands of our clubs better than most - fortunately I think our manager does also.
Not so sure mate. Ferguson, Boyd and others get called out for drivel.

When they get paid for talking sense is fair enough though nothing out of the obvious in that piece it's not ludicrous like some ramblings

I think most of us would agree that to come from the bottom league just a few years back to being in last 32 of Europe is some achievement. Plenty bumps along the way, but we are, in my mind, already the best (always been the biggest) team in Scotland. Sunday kinda proved it, Thursday certainly did, and tomorrow a further 3 points in the bag. A measure of our success is how we do against the European teams. Think we proved we are a force no-one fancies coming up against these days.

The key in the article is where he describes the grind of always being under pressure but says its just the way it is at Ibrox.

That's what a few players still need to learn. There's no lull, no quiet week, no understanding from a patient and forgiving support.

This is it in a nutshell.

Gerrard gets a pass for longer than most because of the utter shambles he inherited and because it’s blindingly obvious just how much we have improved under him but that good will won’t last forever if we don’t start winning trophies and I think that’s fair enough.

No you are right it wont but he should also get some leeway because of the amount of dishonesty in refereeing which we seem to be hoping might just go away. We cant ignore just how difficult it is to deal with this level of bias.

Rangers were better than Celtic but couldnt beat the linesmen. Same could happen again in the scottish cup and theres absolutely no doubt we wtill see some amount of rule bending by refs in the run-in for the title.... thats been happening since the manager took over. Every tv game=bias... tims will get help too if they need it.

If we were to end up with nothing, when we probably should have had say 1 or 2 prizes, then there must be some sympathy for an excellent young manager and we have to accept that he is doing a very good job which sometimes seems like an impossible job due to bent officials.

Anyone else think this token response to any thread on an article by Barry or Boyd has become as annoying as the ones that needlessly slate them?

We could have done with Barry in our midfield on Thursday night to keep possession and see that game out with more comfort.

article is fair enough.

We could have done with Barry in our midfield on Thursday night to keep possession and see that game out with more comfort.

article is fair enough.

Rangers great that we forget about but happily slaughter every chance we get
Some fans have no idea what a Rangers great is

Beaten by an offside goal, and Foster (it pains to say) played too good that day.

The improvement under Gerrard (with still room for more improvement) has been great

I've reacted to your post as I thought we were far the superior team. They were nowhere near toe to toe with us

Listen, that's not a bad article at all.
Until he got to the bit about fancying us against Inter Milan, Sevilla, Manchester United, Arsenal, Ajax o_O

Surely a more low key tie, against a side we stand a chance against over two legs, is better for the club than getting a doing from one of the big boys. If for no other reason than the EL payments we will receive. The more we earn, the more can be invested in the side, and i'd much rather have that than see top class players at Ibrox. Not to mention the coefficient. I'd rather were the ones to boost Scotland's position rather than the mentally challengeds. If we get a kind draw and make it to the last 16 i'd be a very happy man with our European efforts this season. To go out in the first KO round would be a touch disappointing, even if it still a great achievement.

The rest is as good an article as I've read from Barry.

We were far superior to Celtic in the cup final.really don,t see why you think we were toe to toe with them.

I've reacted to your post as I thought we were far the superior team. They were nowhere near toe to toe with us

Fair enough. I didn't explain. I didn't mean on the day. We were superior. But for years been told we are well behind them. So far behind them. Now we are toe to toe.

People can say what they want about Barry but you can’t take away the guy was a great Rangers player and brought a supporter.

Back