Steven Gerrard hopes to persuade Walter Smith to take up an advisory role

Shug176

Ibrox ICON
Rangers boss Steven Gerrard hopes to persuade Walter Smith to take up an advisory role at Ibrox
Gerrard firmly believes Smith, who had two hugely successful spells in charge at Ibrox, can still have a vital part to play at the club

By Colin Duncan
23rd June 2018, 10:30 pm
STEVEN GERRARD is hoping former Rangers bosses Walter Smith and Graeme Souness can help him plot Celtic’s downfall this season.

The new Gers manager revealed he is keen to get Smith on board as soon as possible so he can start picking his brains.

WILLIE VASS
Steven Gerrard hopes to pick the brains of some Gers icons
How to claim your FREE £10 bet
1 Register for Sun Bets here

2 Bet £5 or more

3 Sun Bets will stick a £10 bet in your account

Gerrard firmly believes Smith, who had two hugely successful spells in charge at Ibrox, can still have a vital role to play at the club.

The Liverpool legend plans to speak with the 70-year-old when he returns from Rangers Spanish training camp later this week.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

opt-out-icon2.png

And he also refused to rule out the possibility of Smith being offered an advisory role as part of the new set-up.

He said: “My main priority right now is getting myself settled in Glasgow and getting myself settled in the role.

“Then I will certainly be leaning on the likes of Walter Smith and Graeme Souness and and bending their ears. — they will probably be getting sick of the sight of me.

“I have met Walter quite a few times. He is a top fella and I am really looking forward to sitting down with him. We will invite him in.

“To be fair he doesn’t need an invite to come in. None of the ex-managers and players do.

“We want to use them. This club needs to become one and ex-players and ex-managers are all part of that.”

WILLIE VASS
Graeme Souness managed the Ibrox club for five years
Gerrard, who is in his first managerial role, reckons Smith’s vast knowledge of the Scottish game can prove invaluable.

He said: “I haven’t really thought about it in terms of roles or at what level we want to use him.

“I think we just want to get him round the table and have a chat with him — get his thoughts and his experience, how he saw last year and get some advice.

“I never got the chance to work with Greame at Liverpool, but I have done a couple of TV appearances with him and charity events with him and being a midfielder myself he is certainly someone who I look up to.

“So if I can get his ear as well it will only be to my advantage.”

Gerrard also has his former Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish on speed dial although he’s not quite sure he will pick up now, given his allegiances lie on the other side of Glasgow.

He said: “Kenny is my hero, if you are a young boy and you grow up in Liverpool, Kenny Dalglish is the man.

“I know he is a Celtic man but we are friends and Kenny is that type of man. He is a real football man.

KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW
Walter Smith won over 400 games in charge of the Light Blues
“He has given me many bits of advice over the years.

“Our relationship is very strong although he will probably let the phone ring out now!”

Gerrard, who hung up his boots two seasons ago at LA Galaxy, admits he’s known for the past five years management was the path he desperately wanted to follow.

He added: “Around the age of 32, 33 while I was still playing, I decided this is what I wanted to do because I loved the game. The game has been a big part of my life.

“I was at Liverpool from eight years of age and went full-time at 16 when I left school.

“From 16 to 36 it was all that I knew — full-time football, being around top players, top managers.

“That’s where the education had begun.

“Towards the end of my career I knew I wouldn’t really be able to just walk away from the game and go into anything else — football is all I know.

GETTY - CONTRIBUTOR
Gerrard played under Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool
‘I’m not sitting here thinking that I’m a top manager.

“It is something that I will try and grow into, mould into and improve. I don’t want to stand still. I want to keep trying to grow.

“But this is what I’ve craved since I came out of a playing kit. I craved that responsibility, that pressure, that three important points at the weekend.

“Looking back at my playing career now, I feel as if I should’ve maybe played on for one more year.

RELATED STORIES
1 / 3

SONS AND BROTHERS
Grant Adam has revealed brother Charlie had quiet word with Stevie Aitken

HERE TO STAY
Tavernier says he's 'on board' with Gerrard as he welcomes Flanagan challenge

BIG FUTURE
Rangers keeper Allan McGregor tips Robby McCrorie to have a successful career

LEARNING THE LINGO
Former Rangers ace David Bates tries his hand at the German language

CROSS-BORDER
Nikola Katic hitchhiked 100km every day for TWO YEARS on road to top

MAIN FACTORS
Nikola Katic says Rangers are a 'far bigger club than Spartak Moscow'

“Not for the lifestyle in America. For the actual buzz of playing football. I went there to come out of Liverpool, just to breathe.

“Because I knew my Liverpool days were coming to an end and I knew emotionally I would’ve found that tough.

“I used to love every single day going in and representing that club.

“So I’d have played on for football reasons. But, my wife got pregnant while I was out there in the MLS and it just made sense at the time to come back home.

“Now it’s just about experience, getting that experience, growing and improving.”

Not sure if it would be a good idea.
We are moving on in a different system of football.
Walter could have us stuck in his old ways. (Not being disrespectful).

lol, how pathetic is that article?

Gerrard talks only about (probably because he’s asked if he’ll speak to them) speaking to them, nothing else.

Which rag is this from?

I think Stevie is the type of man to listen to advice and then decide what he wants to do. Walter is the right man to go to, as he will help but not intrude.

Having Walter 'round the table' would be a very smart move. Not to run the show. Not to rule the roost. But anyone who doesn't understand he's a mine of info, knowledge and advice, needs to feck off.

He’s just very savvy. It’s very again from the manager impressive in my opinion.

He’ll call it the way he sees it but he wants everybody who matters on board. Smart politics.

I doubt SG will be asking Walter to come up with attacking drills for training. He and his staff will have plenty of their own ideas.

There are many aspects of football, man-management being foremost among them IMO, where considering the opinion of Walter Smith would be a very smart thing to do.

I doubt SG will be asking Walter to come up with attacking drills for training. He and his staff will have plenty of their own ideas.

There are many aspects of football, man-management being foremost among them IMO, where considering the opinion of Walter Smith would be a very smart thing to do.

Gerrard won't need Walter's advice on man management, he might want to talk to him about the club, fans and Scotland in general though. But it looks like he was just being diplomatic to me.

[
You don't think Walter would sit and chat with Gerrard? o_O
I may be mistaken but I thot the article said he felt their was a role for Walter to play in an advisory capacity. All I am saying is Walter won’t be involved in any role.

I now he's played for them but is Dalglish really a Celtic man? Despite playing and managing them for a short time he supported us, took up a role at the club as well did he not? Also rarely see him say anything negative about us. Getting knighted will no doubt have gotten some of their fans knickers in a twist about him too. Maybe saying he's not a Celtic man is a little much but he's certainly not like most

He's an inexperienced manager though, if guys like Walter, Dalglish and Souness want to lend him some help i can't see too much wrong with it

Nothing story.

Everyone and their dug knows that great men like Walter and Souness will always be happy to pick up the phone and talk to the current Rangers manager should they need any advise. I'd go as far to say that the vast majority of older heads are happy to help the younger managers out, that's why they all continue to be involved in unions such as the LMA even after they have retired.

What different system would that be?

I am quite sure Gerrard wants to create a winning team which is what Walter excelled at.

Looks like he is answering questions about Walter rather than giving his opinion.

Of course he will ask walter's advice. Doesn't mean he'll want to play the same way.
It's all about nuances
Walter managed his team's in his own unique way but Stevie G can listen to Walter and develop his own style
All the best managers will factor in good practice from successfull managers they have worked with

Back