Steven Gerrard hopes to persuade Walter Smith to take up an advisory role

Interviewer: Oh .... Mr Smith..... How is it you dealt with celtc?

SWS: listen son, how do you like me to show you....

LemmonvSmith.gif

Not sure if it would be a good idea.
We are moving on in a different system of football.
Walter could have us stuck in his old ways. (Not being disrespectful).
He could at least warn him of the pitfalls he’ll encounter. Dodgy refs, journalists , managers, restaurants etc. Also fill him in on the history and traditions of our club and support. Great idea and enforces my high opinion of Steven Gerrard.

I remember Caixinha being asked if he would be speaking to Walter and saying he had no interest in past regimes. Walter knows what it takes to win titles, especially the mentality needed. It’s sensible for Gerrard to use his experience and I’m glad he is

nobody knows more about what it takes to be a successful Rangers manager than Walter Smith and if SG can have access to some of his knowledge how can anyone(except some of the FF football management experts) see it as a negative?

What different system would that be?

I am quite sure Gerrard wants to create a winning team which is what Walter excelled at.
Gerrard has already said he wants to concentrate more on fitness and playing more aggressive attacking football.
Walter is a more defensive minded manager (being excellent at it).
All in all football has changed a bit since Walters time a few years back already.

He could at least warn him of the pitfalls he’ll encounter. Dodgy refs, journalists , managers, restaurants etc. Also fill him in on the history and traditions of our club and support. Great idea and enforces my high opinion of Steven Gerrard.
I think Gerrard has done his homework well already in these areas.

The advice from Walter and Souness will be based purely on the logistics of the club and the game here in Scotland and the unique challenges they will bring. Very much doubt it will be tactical based?
A very wise move and something he was used to at Liverpool where for decades they have done this very same thing to have a continuity throughout the club which really came to fruition in the 70s and 80s.
A nothing article really but it shows that the media are desperate for Gerrard stories.
Only show in town!

The advice from Walter and Souness will be based purely on the logistics of the club and the game here in Scotland and the unique challenges they will bring. Very much doubt it will be tactical based?
A very wise move and something he was used to at Liverpool where for decades they have done this very same thing to have a continuity throughout the club which really came to fruition in the 70s and 80s.
A nothing article really but it shows that the media are desperate for Gerrard stories.
Only show in town!

This, we get Raith in the cup, he'll probably ask for a heads up on info about Starks park etc. He's not asking him to manage.

This story reads like sensationalised nonsense where a role for Walter is concerned. There's no way SG would make such a move known in newspapers before it came to fruition. Walter would not tolerate that kind of business either.
I think what's being exaggerated here is Walter's offer of advice to SG any time he needs it. A kind act of support from a former Rangers manager to the new guy, who is obviously grateful to receive it. But Stevie G has brought his own team with their own ideas. All of them coming from Liverpool and have Liverpool's philosophy instilled in them. Beyond helpful advice offered freely by Walter what role could exist for him within the new management structure? Any role could only be very senior where Walter is concerned. His designation would be on a par with Mark Allen's. How could it not be?
I don't think Walter would want to be part of team where is only input is being consulted, with his advice only being considered, rather than implemented. I can't see it happening.

Not sure if it would be a good idea.
We are moving on in a different system of football.
Walter could have us stuck in his old ways. (Not being disrespectful).

He won't be asking him for tactical advice mate.

More a general feel for the club, league media etc.

I now he's played for them but is Dalglish really a Celtic man? Despite playing and managing them for a short time he supported us, took up a role at the club as well did he not? Also rarely see him say anything negative about us. Getting knighted will no doubt have gotten some of their fans knickers in a twist about him too. Maybe saying he's not a Celtic man is a little much but he's certainly not like most

He's an inexperienced manager though, if guys like Walter, Dalglish and Souness want to lend him some help i can't see too much wrong with it

Dalglish is not one of them.
He played for them granted but it doesn’t make him a Celtic man.
Dalglish is a Liverpool man, yeah he supported us as a kid and then played for them however he is mr Liverpool and that is where his heart lies.
More importantly as Gerrard says he is a football man and if Gerrard was to ask his advice he would give it.

Not sure he is.

He will no doubt have a chat but that may be that.

There are ceetain things he may want info on but SG ain't daft so he will speak to the right people ar the appropriate time.

Yes, off-the-park advice is just as important. No matter how thoroughly SG may have done his homework, Walter has lived it, and will have a lot to offer in SG's first season

I now he's played for them but is Dalglish really a Celtic man? Despite playing and managing them for a short time he supported us, took up a role at the club as well did he not? Also rarely see him say anything negative about us. Getting knighted will no doubt have gotten some of their fans knickers in a twist about him too. Maybe saying he's not a Celtic man is a little much but he's certainly not like most

He's an inexperienced manager though, if guys like Walter, Dalglish and Souness want to lend him some help i can't see too much wrong with it

Took great delight every time he scored against us.

Celtic player, Celtic manager equals Celtic man.

Certainly not in the rhabid McNeil, Lennon mould, but still a Celtic man.

I remember Caixinha being asked if he would be speaking to Walter and saying he had no interest in past regimes. Walter knows what it takes to win titles, especially the mentality needed. It’s sensible for Gerrard to use his experience and I’m glad he is

Probably because after five minutes alone with him Walter would have sussed out how much of a con man Pedro was.

Pathetic Scottish media. Nothing more nothing less.
Basically SG confirms he'll have a talk with SWS. Of course he will. Probably go as far as buy him lunch.
And hey presto the scummy media portray this as SWS is going to be in the dug out, relaying tacticts etc etc
Trying to make out SG has no confidence in his own ability.
Treat it for the pish it is.

Certainly would be worth speaking to Walter prior to that visit to the Piggery.

I love Walter and all he done.
If reports from last year are true, Walter was fairly hands on behind the scenes for our last visit there.

For the money we're paying Stevie G and Gary Mc, I'm hoping they should be able to more or less do it for themselves.
Every time we appoint someone we hear the same.
Could you see Jose needing to run to SAF every 2 mins? The odd time, aye, but get on with it lads.

I love Walter and all he done.
If reports from last year are true, Walter was fairly hands on behind the scenes for our last visit there.

For the money we're paying Stevie G and Gary Mc, I'm hoping they should be able to more or less do it for themselves.
Every time we appoint someone we hear the same.
Could you see Jose needing to run to SAF every 2 mins? The odd time, aye, but get on with it lads.

Think he's just saying these things to get rid of any bad blood that may have existed from previous managers....clean slating getting everyone on board the 55 train

Sensationalist pish.

Yes he will probably have lunch with Wattie but you don't think "The magnificent bastard" has told him what to expect?

As for the footballing side, he will be his own man which if you think about it, is the only way.

I know this thread is mostly about Walter giving an input but for me, having Souness as a sounding board would be every bit as beneficial.
Two genuine giants and it's great to see that SG recognises that and is smart enough to tap into their knowledge.

shit stirring by a mentally challenged driven media, who are so far out of the loop they have f@ck all to offer their ever dwindling readership,, I am in no doubt whatsoever that our manager and walter will meet up on more than one occasion in the foreseeable future,, but its no more than 2 guys who have our clubs best interest at heart running a few ideas by each other,, our club is in good hands now and wont be denied plotting our course of action by incompetent journalism

Walter could advise him on how to snub Graham Spiers.
Or on how to give interviews to Chick Young.:D

Last edited:
Ive got a feeling he will talk more with Sir Kenny....and given how everyone refers to Kenny as being a thoroughly decent type who never forgot his roots unlike McGrain. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Kenny wants Stevie to succeed in bringing home 55!

I got the feeling Stevie was trying to cover his tracks a bit when talking about his chats with Kenny re Rangers......Kenny will know in detail how we have been treated and I’m sure that it won’t sit easy with him.

Might be wide of the mark but just a wee inclination I have.

Can only be a good thing to get advice from the great man himself. Everything he has done so far has been super positive but he will get a shock if we say draw at Pittodrie on the 1st game of the season and the usual suspects want him hanged.
Walter can help him with all that and prepare him for the craziness of Scottish Football.
Also he will be stunned if the referees are as bad as last season because that was just mental. There is not one decent ref in Scottish Football and that’s a problem.

Back