Steven Gerrard on the 'nonsense' Rangers theory he's sick and tired of hearing about

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Excellent words from the gaffer and very positive for the future

A fact that people seem to forget with Morelos because he missed so many chances was the amount of chances he made for himself or the positions he got into, you dont see many players having 8 or 9 shots against them like that, it will come for Alfie agains't them.

Steven Gerrard on the 'nonsense' Rangers theory he's sick and tired of hearing about
The Ibrox boss knows what people are saying but he certainly doesn't subscribe to the rumour mill.

The contract Steven Gerrard will sign this week is less important than the chapter Rangers can script tonight in the Europa League.
The Light Blues boss is set to extend his stay at Ibrox to 2024, but he doesn’t want the announcement to overshadow his side’s exploits in the Betfred Cup and Europa League.
Allan McGregor and Steven Davis are also set to sign one year deals, with talks ongoing with Jermain Defoe about making his loan move from Bournemouth a permanent affair.
PROMOTED STORIES

Rangers are moving in the right direction again, even after the devastation felt by their fans over the manner of the loss to Celtic in Sunday’s Hampden showpiece.
The Ibrox side can top a UEFA group for only the second time in history tonight - they looked down from the top of Group A in the UEFA Cup in 2006/07 - if they defeat Young Boys in front of another sell out Govan audience.

(Image: SNS Group)
It would underline still further the progress made by Gerrard since he became boss 18 months ago after he led his new-look side through a group of gruelling qualifiers to the group stage of the Europa League last season.

Gerrard insists he’s around for the long term, swatting aside suggestions a move to Rangers was only ever an apprenticeship for bigger things to come, most notably Liverpool.
In truth, he’s determined not just to bring short term success to Rangers, but build a foundation that will see them compete on a level footing with Celtic for seasons to come.
He said: “I’m happy here. I’m thankful for the opportunity and as hungry as ever to make it a success.
READ MORE
“The club came to me around 10 days ago and it’s been pretty straightforward. I asked for it to be kept quiet before the final and this European game because the results for the team are more important.
“We’ll pick it up after Thursday’s game, but there’s nothing to talk about because I want to stay and they want to keep me so it’s pretty simple.
“Suggestions I’d only be here for a couple of years? That wasn’t in my thinking, although it has been in the thinking of the majority
‘Oh, Rangers is a stepping stone’ or ‘He’s just going there to rehearse for something else.’
“It’s a load of nonsense. This is a big opportunity for me and I have no plans of going anywhere else. If I had I wouldn’t be signing a new deal as I still have two and a bit years left.

“I certainly wouldn’t turn down an extension because I’m really enjoying it and appreciate this role.”
Gerrard claimed at the Hummel Centre yesterday he’s no pyschologist, swatting aside the chance to talk about calming the inner chimp in the head of his group after they gave so much against Celtic, only to leave Hampden with so little.
Gerrard has always given the impression of being a man’s man, modern in his methods, but old school stoical when it comes to dealing with the slings and arrows of outrageous football fortune.
He added: “It is what it is. You have just got to handle that. I’m no good at that psychology bit.
“It helps having a game of this magnitude to try and swing everyone’s mood and feeling.
“I’m more gutted for the players than from a personal point of view because I know what they put in to the game and what they wanted out of that competition.
“If we had been outplayed from start to finish and comfortably beaten then sometimes you have to hold your hand up.

“But I was very buoyed and excited by that performance. From start to finish it was very dominant.
“But I know more than most from a footballer’s point of view that big moments in big games are important and you have to grab them. We didn’t.
“We have to use the experiences for and against in our favour. That’s what playing at the top is all about. I have no doubts I will get a positive reaction from these lads.”
Gerrard will keep Rangers supporters waiting for now on the next penalty taker at the club, although he revealed there have been “a queue” of players demanding the job.
He insists Alfredo Morelos, the cup final fall guy, has been “bubbly and chirpy”. That might come as a shock to the Light Blues legions, who prefer to see him skulking the frontline with a scowl on his face as it’s when he does most damage.

Gerrard added: “He seems like he’s over it which is good, because we need him to be over it. He’s the reason why we’ve got a huge, huge chance to top the group in a different competition.
“He’s one of our main players - if we are to have our day he’ll be a big part of it.
“I don’t think he’ll ever hide, he’s not that type of player. He wants the responsibility.
“Look, he met a keeper who put in a world class performance. Fraser’s a top goalie. If he was to show that form week in and week out there’s no reason why he couldn’t be back in the England reckoning, for sure.
“Alfredo did everything he could for his team so it would be very unfair if I was to criticise him.
“He was unplayable at times, was getting shots off, and everything we wanted our nine to do on the day he carried it out.
“Of course, the penalty miss is huge because it completely swings the whole game. But a penalty is a penalty - people miss them and people score them.”

Last edited:
Gerrard claimed at the Hummel Centre yesterday he’s no pyschologist, swatting aside the chance to talk about calming the inner chimp in the head of his group after they gave so much against Celtic, only to leave Hampden with so little.

Well, phuk me, has that reporter been reading self-help books?
Also, Gerrard saying "I’m no good at that psychology bit."? Ha-ha-ha.

Tim's and their media placemen know full well he is the real deal and has us on a firmly upward trajectory.

So they do what cowards and bullies always do, snipe from the side and try to create a narrative of uncertainty and discontent.

They much prefer the days we were stumbling from Murty to Pedro.

Well get it up you, gaffer is here for the big prizes and you all know we are coming.

Last edited:
Tim's and their media placemen know full well he is the real deal and has us on a firmly upward trajectory.

So they do what cowards and bullies always do, snipe from the side and try to create a narrative of uncertainty and discontent.

Well get it up you, gaffer is hear for the big prizes and you all know we are coming.
They hate it when we get the icons like Gazza, Souness and Gerrard etc

Last edited:
Our mhedia is pathetic.

A huge game. Chance to top and win a group in Europe. Chance to elevate Scotland’s coefficient onto the 2 CL places spot in 2 years time.

And all they want to ask about is Alfredo and Paedo FC.

Come on Rangers. Let’s do this tonight :)

Some things in football have changed but what hasn't changed, and remains constant, is the impact mangers have on clubs; it is impossible, still, to have have any real measure of success without a great manager. Gerrard has the makings to be a great manager.

We will see what our team is made of tonight, i fully expect them to be at it tonight,and the fans must be at it also. I hope everybody gets a lift from the game and on to motherwell on sunday. The most important prize of getting 55 is still within our reach.

What Gerrard has given us inside of 18 months is much more than we could've hoped for in all honesty.

We'll get the usual spiel of "ha ha nae trophies" from the idiots in the media but anyone who looks at the club from the outside without the usual bile and hatred would see what the support are seeing

Continual improvement in playing squad and results.
Continual improvement in player development and valuation.
Continual improvement in club's European co-efficient.

The likes of Jackson, Parks and Provan will continue to snipe from the sidelines with their own brand of poison and demand that he's sacked if he doesn't win the league this year but I'm delighted to see the board and the manager are in this for the long haul.

Absolutely love Gerrard. Imagine how we'd be looking if we ended up with McInnes instead?

I love the fact that he doesn't take any shite from the media as well. Some of the questions he gets asked are a joke but he was swats them aside.

There will be a reaction from Sunday tonight. We are going to come out on the front foot and qualify from the group.

It’s great having someone in charge that knows what he’s doing and how to motivate our players.

Excellent words from the gaffer and very positive for the future

A fact that people seem to forget with Morelos because he missed so many chances was the amount of chances he made for himself or the positions he got into, you dont see many players having 8 or 9 shots against them like that, it will come for Alfie agains't them.

The Ibrox boss knows what people are saying but he certainly doesn't subscribe to the rumour mill.

The contract Steven Gerrard will sign this week is less important than the chapter Rangers can script tonight in the Europa League.
The Light Blues boss is set to extend his stay at Ibrox to 2024, but he doesn’t want the announcement to overshadow his side’s exploits in the Betfred Cup and Europa League.
Allan McGregor and Steven Davis are also set to sign one year deals, with talks ongoing with Jermain Defoe about making his loan move from Bournemouth a permanent affair.
PROMOTED STORIES

Rangers are moving in the right direction again, even after the devastation felt by their fans over the manner of the loss to Celtic in Sunday’s Hampden showpiece.
The Ibrox side can top a UEFA group for only the second time in history tonight - they looked down from the top of Group A in the UEFA Cup in 2006/07 - if they defeat Young Boys in front of another sell out Govan audience.

It would underline still further the progress made by Gerrard since he became boss 18 months ago after he led his new-look side through a group of gruelling qualifiers to the group stage of the Europa League last season.

Gerrard insists he’s around for the long term, swatting aside suggestions a move to Rangers was only ever an apprenticeship for bigger things to come, most notably Liverpool.
In truth, he’s determined not just to bring short term success to Rangers, but build a foundation that will see them compete on a level footing with Celtic for seasons to come.
He said: “I’m happy here. I’m thankful for the opportunity and as hungry as ever to make it a success.
READ MORE
“The club came to me around 10 days ago and it’s been pretty straightforward. I asked for it to be kept quiet before the final and this European game because the results for the team are more important.
“We’ll pick it up after Thursday’s game, but there’s nothing to talk about because I want to stay and they want to keep me so it’s pretty simple.
“Suggestions I’d only be here for a couple of years? That wasn’t in my thinking, although it has been in the thinking of the majority
‘Oh, Rangers is a stepping stone’ or ‘He’s just going there to rehearse for something else.’
“It’s a load of nonsense. This is a big opportunity for me and I have no plans of going anywhere else. If I had I wouldn’t be signing a new deal as I still have two and a bit years left.

“I certainly wouldn’t turn down an extension because I’m really enjoying it and appreciate this role.”
Gerrard has always given the impression of being a man’s man, modern in his methods, but old school stoical when it comes to dealing with the slings and arrows of outrageous football fortune.
He added: “It is what it is. You have just got to handle that. I’m no good at that psychology bit.
“It helps having a game of this magnitude to try and swing everyone’s mood and feeling.
“I’m more gutted for the players than from a personal point of view because I know what they put in to the game and what they wanted out of that competition.
“If we had been outplayed from start to finish and comfortably beaten then sometimes you have to hold your hand up.

“But I was very buoyed and excited by that performance. From start to finish it was very dominant.
“But I know more than most from a footballer’s point of view that big moments in big games are important and you have to grab them. We didn’t.
“We have to use the experiences for and against in our favour. That’s what playing at the top is all about. I have no doubts I will get a positive reaction from these lads.”
Gerrard will keep Rangers supporters waiting for now on the next penalty taker at the club, although he revealed there have been “a queue” of players demanding the job.
He insists Alfredo Morelos, the cup final fall guy, has been “bubbly and chirpy”. That might come as a shock to the Light Blues legions, who prefer to see him skulking the frontline with a scowl on his face as it’s when he does most damage.

Gerrard added: “He seems like he’s over it which is good, because we need him to be over it. He’s the reason why we’ve got a huge, huge chance to top the group in a different competition.
“He’s one of our main players - if we are to have our day he’ll be a big part of it.
“I don’t think he’ll ever hide, he’s not that type of player. He wants the responsibility.
“Look, he met a keeper who put in a world class performance. Fraser’s a top goalie. If he was to show that form week in and week out there’s no reason why he couldn’t be back in the England reckoning, for sure.
“Alfredo did everything he could for his team so it would be very unfair if I was to criticise him.
“He was unplayable at times, was getting shots off, and everything we wanted our nine to do on the day he carried it out.
“Of course, the penalty miss is huge because it completely swings the whole game. But a penalty is a penalty - people miss them and people score them.”
You make a fantastic point. How many teams rag doll them they way we did. The important thing is to get the goals, but we played them off the park. Remember this game when we go to their shit hole! The desire and hunger is there, we better %^*& them!

What Gerrard has given us inside of 18 months is much more than we could've hoped for in all honesty.

We'll get the usual spiel of "ha ha nae trophies" from the idiots in the media but anyone who looks at the club from the outside without the usual bile and hatred would see what the support are seeing

Continual improvement in playing squad and results.
Continual improvement in player development and valuation.
Continual improvement in club's European co-efficient.

The likes of Jackson, Parks and Provan will continue to snipe from the sidelines with their own brand of poison and demand that he's sacked if he doesn't win the league this year but I'm delighted to see the board and the manager are in this for the long haul.

You often get this crap from posters on here.

good book tho - halfway through it, although i think mine is an inner gorilla
I picked this book up while ago and looking forward to reading it next. It came highly recommended by a few people who have read it that i know.

You make a fantastic point. How many teams rag doll them they way we did. The important thing is to get the goals, but we played them off the park. Remember this game when we go to their shit hole! The desire and hunger is there, we better %^*& them!
Agreed mate and i do think this will motivate the team even more.

He’s protecting his players like all good managers do. And none of what he says is wrong.

I trust him, and I can’t wait to get back to business tonight because the days after Sunday with no games have been a bit of a nickname, but now we get the first chance to take a step towards recovery.

Well get it up you, gaffer is here for the big prizes and you all know we are coming.
Which is my point as well. Some of them would've came along to that press conference in hope to see some sort of meltdown after Sunday,but the gaffer is a lot smarter than that,you can see that in his short responses to them.

Which is my point as well. Some of them would've came along to that press conference in hope to see some sort of meltdown after Sunday,but the gaffer is a lot smarter than that,you can see that in his short responses to them.
The gaffer has been in major finals which he has won and lost so he has experienced both sides of it and will be able to help the players no end.

Like he said for many of our players it was their first ever final.

We can only improve for it.

Keep saying to my wife, Stevie G will never leave us, apart from one job.

Think this just proves it. She gets it with the contract news.

If you have read his book, you`ll know he is a "home bird" he doesn't like to fly to far from the nest. He wont manage abroad.

He also wont manage Arsenal, Everton or the Manchester teams.

So unless his boyhood team come calling or we sack him he is here very long term.

I am so thankful we have a guy like Gerrard in our dugout. A real football man a guy who just craves success. I have no doubt in my mind that there is nobody better for us to have in charge.

Steven Gerrard is a great fit for Rangers FC and our club is the ideal place for him as he learns his trade in football management. He is doing a great job in my opinion and he will bring success to the club.
The haters and detractors know in their hearts that having him at our club is a huge plus on many levels.

Back