Steven Gerrard reveals Rangers pride at wearing 'famous blue shirt' as he dedicates cameo to fans

BlueMeanie

Gerrard made a cameo appearance for the Ibrox side as Liverpool edged out the home team in the legends clash.

Delighted Steven Gerrard beamed after getting to wear the "famous blue shirt" in the Rangers vs Liverpool legends clash.
The Ibrox boss played the first 75 minutes for Liverpool before making a cameo appearance for the Light Blues in the last ten minutes as his former side edged out the hosts 3-2.
All five goals arrived in the first half as Luis Garcia, Patrik Berger and Emile Heskey scored for the visitors, while Kris Boyd and Peter Lovenkrands were on the scoresheet for the home side.
Gerrard impressed throughout the 90 minutes for both sides and was unlucky not to get amongst the goals himself.
But the former Anfield hero was full of pride after receiving a standing ovation from the Ibrox support as he was subbed on for Rangers .

He told Rangers TV : "The game went well, lots of goals and entertainment an getting a cameo for Rangers as well.

"Hopefully the supporters go away very happy, I am certainly satisfied and loved today.
"I miss playing, I being a player, I miss being in the dressing room and the camaraderie of competing so getting the chance to do that in front of a packed Ibrox with a wonderful service and an iconic stadium. I was never turning that down.
"The chance to put the famous blue shirt on for a cameo was a nice touch.

"I think they booed me in a red shirt and got behind me when I came on in blue. I think it was a nice touch.
"My connection here now at Rangers. I am very proud to be the manager, i think it's only right they (the fans) see me in a blue shirt.
"The support and the backing they give me on a weekly basis, that was the reason I wanted to give a cameo for the blue side of it as well."
Gerrard was heavily involved in the build up play for Liverpool's goals, but he couldn't hide his disappointment at not getting one for himself as he came narrowly close on more than a few occasions.

He added: "I'm never going to change the way that I play, I try to entertain the fans and provide service fro the front players and that's the way I tried to play today.
"I ran out of steam towards the end, I was a bit tired but yeah I done OK. Maybe should have scored, I'm a bit disappointed in that.
There were plenty of stars on show for both sides with the likes of Jamie Carragher, Dirk Kuyt, Richard Gough and Jorg Albertz in action.

And Gerrard said it was brilliant to link up with some of his old team-mates, but also getting the chance to get to know some former Ibrox stars at the same time.
He said: "I was nice to go into the Rangers dressing room and meet a lot of ex-players that I had never met before.
"In terms of spending time with heroes of mine, John Aldridge and Ian Rush. Those are the days I'll never forget, I love it."

I fecking love Stevie G!!!

Having a World Superstar wear our shirt (even in a legends game) & hopefully win us 55 makes me proud to support our club.

A magnificent player who has won almost everything there is to win in modern football.But.
Even he will have never experienced anything like what will happen when he brings home 55,I hope he’s well prepared for it..........

I just want to race to May to see us win the league. I can’t wait to find out if Steven Gerrard has led us back to the summit of the Scottish game.

Someone just tell me now that this is what happens.

I just want to race to May to see us win the league. I can’t wait to find out if Steven Gerrard has led us back to the summit of the Scottish game.

Someone just tell me now that this is what happens.

I've seen it. It happens.

Back