Steven Gerrard: Ryan Kent has got to ask himself whether he wants to return to Rangers

Bonnyloyal

STEVEN GERRARD insists Ryan Kent will only return to Rangers this summer if the winger really wants to clinch another Ibrox deal.

Kent enjoyed a terrific campaign on loan from Liverpool last term as he became an integral part of the Gers side and lifted the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year prize.

Boss Gerrard is keen to bring the 22-year-old back to Glasgow in the coming weeks as he builds his squad for another crack at the Premiership title next season.
But he could have to play a waiting game as Liverpool consider their options and decide whether to cash in on Kent or let him leave Anfield on another temporary deal.
The Englishman will join up with Jurgen Klopp’s squad when the Champions League winners return to pre-season action this month.
Gerrard is currently putting his players through their paces at a training camp in Portugal. And he is doing all he can to get Kent back on board with the Light Blues.
Gerrard said: “I suppose the fans will be desperate for a Kent update.

“But it’s a complicated one because he is Liverpool’s player and Liverpool aren’t back yet.
“I’m sure Jurgen will want to see Ryan and where he’s at. We’ll go from there and we’ll respect Liverpool on that one. But I can assure everyone we are doing everything we can to try and get Ryan back.
“The key thing that people need to understand is that Ryan has got to want this. It’s alright the fans wanting him, the staff wanting him, myself wanting him.
“But it’s Ryan’s decision. Ryan has got to want Rangers, he has got to want to come and be successful at Rangers. That is the question Ryan has got to ask himself.
“At the moment and where I stand, I have got to be careful about what I say about him because he’s not our player. We loved having him here and we’d love the chance to have him here again because we think he can continue to improve.
“But the reality is that we have to wait for Ryan to make a decision and, more importantly, Liverpool to think Rangers is the right place to continue his development.”

I hope he’ll be back, but it’s a clever statement (again) from SG. Makes it clear that he’s wanted by the club and the fans but puts the ball firmly in Kent’s court by saying its mainly in his hands. It also means he can say Rangers did everything to make it happen if it falls through and will stop the hard of thinking from trying to pin the plane on Rangers.

I'll be delighted if we get him back. He shows in the big games what he's capable of. If he can continue to improve his consistency and up his goal tally then he could be fighting for a place at Liverpool in the next few seasons.

He gets it, he gets us. Would love to see him back for the coming season, I'm sure SG will be doing all he can.

liverpool arent dependant on a fee for kent (f*ck me they are minted)

its all up to the player imo

my gut says he has another season at rangers

He's meant to be contracted until 2022.

If he comes back and has another good season, especially in Europe, he'll add a few million onto his sale price imo.

I think he'll be back unless the receive an incredible offer.

Gut feeling is we'll get him for another season but will have to be patient with it. Possibly in to August before he arrives.

Think it was just a wee mind game. And in a positive way. With another player, it could come over as negative implying that the player isn’t hungry enough for success. But here I think it’s because Gerrard knows that Kent is absolutely desperate for it. Kent got us. Losing to Celtic hurt him as much as us. Kent would absolutely love to come back and take us to glory.

Gerrard is reminding him that it is here, waiting for him. The EPL can offer riches and fame. But only Rangers can give him the opportunity to absolutely skelp the filth.

Last edited:
I think he will be sold by Liverpool, will no doubt triple his wages in the process. I wish him all the luck in the world if it pans out that way, he served us well when we had him, albeit i hope I am wrong!

I think there's a chance of Liverpool decide to sell we would get him in some sort of buy back sell on fee clause.

But in the end liverpool could keep on fringes of first team and then sell him on after x amount of aspartame in first team similar to solanke

I actually think that's what gerrard is hinting if Kent wants to play regularly we are possibly his best option career wise shorter and longer term

And that in a way is up to Kent about what he wants to do does he take the chance and and am to come back to us longer term

The headline is more negative sounding than what Gerrard actually says. There’s a surprise eh?

I think Gerrard has been very clever.

He is telling Kent, if you want to be here, refuse to go anywhere else.
Tell Liverpool you'll stay there or come here.
He is under contract. It doesn't matter where Liverpool want him to go.
But we need to be clever not to piss them off while they are improving our squad.

The headline is more negative sounding than what Gerrard actually says. There’s a surprise eh?

I thought I heard and read the whole interview yesterday and Gerrard never said this or even implied this.

I hope Gerrard bans the fokker from Ibrox that wrote this piece of schitt for trying to stir up trouble!

I think what Gerrard is doing here is telling him if he wants to come back to us he is probably going to have to turn down permanent moves elsewhere .

I think what Gerrard is doing here is telling him if he wants to come back to us he is probably going to have to turn down permanent moves elsewhere .

But the point is Gerrard never said this…at least not in the interview I heard or read!
This was made up more than likely just to cause mischief!

If there is one man the mentally challengeds fear already …it’s Kent.
He is certainly one player they don’t want to face in royal blue …next season.

But the point is Gerrard never said this…at least not in the interview I heard or read!
This was made up more than likely just to cause mischief!

If there is one man the mentally challengeds fear already …it’s Kent.
He is certainly one player they don’t want to face in royal blue …next season.
Being honest if Kent is here next year he probably will have turned down permanent moves elsewhere as there will be clubs wanting to sign him .

The 10-12m fee reported fee is chicken feed to bottom EPL and most of the championship clubs and if someone actively hits the number then he may be gone.

BUT I think the lad loves it here and working with the Gaffer and his development will be even better with another season with us and a league winners medal round his neck.

I think in my opinion he’ll be back for another season all being well,I hope so as he has the ability to get folk off their seat and express himself on the park.

It reads to me like Gerrard is subtly telling Kent to try to push through the move.

*typo

Last edited:
Leeds are still hovering about Kent. Clarke being sold for £8.5m could boost their attempts to sign Kent. I do think Kent would want to come back to us however, I would understand him wanting a permanent move giving the number of loans he has had to date.

Sounds like he is waiting to see if he gets a better permanent offer and Gerrard is letting him know we won't wait for ever.

No problem with the boy assessing his options. He could easily play for a top half EPL club who could offer three times what we can. If his head has been turned then we can’t blame him.

I actually read what the manager is saying differently to most others seem to. To me it reads like Ryan Kent will return to Rangers if he wants to, that Rangers want him and that Liverpool are happy for it to happen.

In my opinion he’s a good player with the potential to be very good and that WE have put him where he is by giving him the platform last season because he wasn’t setting the heather on fire beforehand.

I hope he comes back, I believe he can become a £10m-£15m player but he’s not near that yet and will only get there by making good decisions. His decision this summer will be huge for his career.

If he goes elsewhere then good luck to him but personally I think he’d regret it unless his driving force is a very quick buck.

I think many Rangers supporters have him on a pedestal he hasn’t really merited. Yet.

He will be asking himself if he feels his stock can get any higher ... YPOTY in Scotland and getting rave reviews will attract attention.

No matter how much he enjoyed it here and loves playing for us .... he might just be thinking what happens if i go back and don't do as well

tough decision for the lad

If Klop is 'assessing' his squad - I wonder if he'll consider keeping RK at Anfield - as a squad back-up player for next season?

I can't see him challenging for a 1st team place there anytime soon - but if for any reason Klop does - then our chances will be zero

SG may be suggesting that RK needs to decide whether he wants a bit part role (at best) with his parent club next season- or an attempt to convert last season's YPOTY into POTY this coming season with us ?

Is anyone else getting bored of this Ryan Kent saga?

Surely by now Liverpool know what they want to do with the player and surely he knows himself. I think if we were really going to get him back would he not of been on that flight to Portugal?

STEVEN GERRARD insists Ryan Kent will only return to Rangers this summer if the winger really wants to clinch another Ibrox deal.

Kent enjoyed a terrific campaign on loan from Liverpool last term as he became an integral part of the Gers side and lifted the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year prize.

Boss Gerrard is keen to bring the 22-year-old back to Glasgow in the coming weeks as he builds his squad for another crack at the Premiership title next season.
But he could have to play a waiting game as Liverpool consider their options and decide whether to cash in on Kent or let him leave Anfield on another temporary deal.
The Englishman will join up with Jurgen Klopp’s squad when the Champions League winners return to pre-season action this month.
Gerrard is currently putting his players through their paces at a training camp in Portugal. And he is doing all he can to get Kent back on board with the Light Blues.
Gerrard said: “I suppose the fans will be desperate for a Kent update.

“But it’s a complicated one because he is Liverpool’s player and Liverpool aren’t back yet.
“I’m sure Jurgen will want to see Ryan and where he’s at. We’ll go from there and we’ll respect Liverpool on that one. But I can assure everyone we are doing everything we can to try and get Ryan back.
“The key thing that people need to understand is that Ryan has got to want this. It’s alright the fans wanting him, the staff wanting him, myself wanting him.
“But it’s Ryan’s decision. Ryan has got to want Rangers, he has got to want to come and be successful at Rangers. That is the question Ryan has got to ask himself.
“At the moment and where I stand, I have got to be careful about what I say about him because he’s not our player. We loved having him here and we’d love the chance to have him here again because we think he can continue to improve.
“But the reality is that we have to wait for Ryan to make a decision and, more importantly, Liverpool to think Rangers is the right place to continue his development.”
Love our gaffer insisting on the fact that he must be fully committed to Rangers. I know it's a waiting game,but we're in the box seat I reckon.

My mate had a chat with Kent last week in Manchester.He told my mate he honestly didn't have a clue where he will be playing this season.

I think Liverpool will try and sell him to bring in some cash. Failing that he'll be back here but maybe not as soon as we'd like.
Liverpool will be awash with cash, the got £152 million from the EPL and £74million for winning the CL and that’s before sponsorship, match day revenue, merchandise etc, £12million is a drop in the ocean.

It would be a shame to lose him as he would be a better player this season. He would kick on from last season playing at a higher standard and being more consistent.

Back