Press Conference Steven Gerrard talks pre-Motherwell

About the summer signings"we made the most of what was available and thats all i can say " he sounds a bit dissapointed there.
Edit, beat me to it ! lol

"Did you get exactly what you wanted in terms of additions in the summer"

"We made the most of what was available - that's all i can say on that"

Got the impression - rightly or wrongly - that the manager feels a bit frustrated by the recent window.
About the summer signings"we made the most of what was available and thats all i can say " he sounds a bit dissapointed there.dit, beat me to it ! lol
Why would he even say that to the media!

Can’t imagine it will give the signings the boost they require !

About the summer signings"we made the most of what was available and thats all i can say " he sounds a bit dissapointed there.
Edit, beat me to it ! lol
Yep - i certainly felt i detected a bit of frustration/disappointment in his response.

Maybe if we hadn't served up 180 minutes of shite against Malmo he would have got who he wanted.

Sadly this. We were never ‘banking’ on CL group stage money but it would have been integral for our ability to pursue the targets we really wanted.

Why would he even say that to the media!

Can’t imagine it will give the signings the boost they require !

His message was probably for the Board.

Sometimes a manager (at any club) will subtly put information into the public domain if they feel they aren't getting the appropiate support.

Obviously, this is all conjecture on my point.

That's the first time I can remember steve g having a wee dig about transfers, sounds a wee bit frustrated.
Yep.

Normally it's "I've received great backing from the board, they've given me what we wanted" etc.

Definitely a different tone this time imo. Sounds like he is frustrated at winning the league and then being given buttons for a budget during the summer.

Yipp, sounds like he’s not happy with the transfer window which I suspects given he stated we could expect an exciting summer.

from him saying that to what he said today, it sounds like the goalposts have been shifted by the board

If you wanted money to secure your signings, qualify for the CL. He's been well-backed but if he ain't recouping it with qualification then that budget's gonna run out.

The Board have backed him when not accepting bids. We could have easily pocketed 30m on the transfer of, for example, players.

The frustration might be from not being able to persuade players to come to Scotland.

Sounds to me that recruitment was based on players moving on and when this didn’t happen we had to do what we could.
We’ve kept all our best players which is great. However, I think a signing that hits the ground running really freshens up a team and elevates others. I think we’re missing this just now and need someone to step forward

Yipp, sounds like he’s not happy with the transfer window which I suspects given he stated we could expect an exciting summer.

from him saying that to what he said today, it sounds like the goalposts have been shifted by the board
Maybe maybe not. Could it be that he was told qualify for the CL and we can spend more. It’s his job to get the players up for a game against a team we could have beaten and he didn’t do it and therefore could not spend.
more easy to say it’s the boards fault but ultimately we failed at the first hurdle and that come down to the manager. I’m not saying that’s what happened but it’s an alternate view to what you say may have happened

For me, the insistence in 'keeping hold of our players' is coming back to hit us.

I would have sold at least one in the summer, allowing us to add liquidity to the transfer budget and help financially.

Borna's value has peaked, as has Morlelos'.

For example - cash in on Borna and then use some of that for a Veerman and another and use Bassey at left back. Or cash in on Alfie and use that money to strengthen.

There is no perfect example or scenario - but this transfer trading 'model' is a pile of nonsense as we are simply not implementing it.

Don't be scared to sell a player ffs ! It's not the end of the world.

Sounds pissed of because in the space of a week he has 4 first team players out.

Last edited:
No chance we were going to spend significantly prior to qualifying.

We hade more than enough to beat Malmo and ballsed up. Twice.

Not suggesting significant sums were required, however - and it's something the tims have also fell foul of in recent years - the strategy of trying to navigate the qualifiers with a view to then spending the rewards, more often than not proves to be a flawed one.

We were evidently not ready for the qualifiers this year - and that was exacerbated by the fact we were playing a team who were a 15 games into their season. Whether it's from a fitness POV, or in terms of suitably bolstering the team to see us through, we should have been more proactive.

There has to be a balance between not spending what you don't have and speculating to accumulate.

Sadly this. We were never ‘banking’ on CL group stage money but it would have been integral for our ability to pursue the targets we really wanted.
Should we have speculated to accumulate to get the right players in to give us a chance to get there. I think I feel like the gaffer in terms of the frustration.

Not suggesting significant sums were required, however - and it's something the tims have also fell foul of in recent years - the strategy of trying to navigate the qualifiers with a view to then spending the rewards, more often than not proves to be a flawed one.

We were evidently not ready for the qualifiers this year - and that was exacerbated by the fact we were playing a team who were a 15 games into their season. Whether it's from a fitness POV, or in terms of suitably bolstering the team to see us through, we should have been more proactive.

There has to be a balance between not spending what you don't have and speculating to accumulate.
Each of the previous seasons under Gerrard , we have incorporated the qualifiers into pre season and has worked well . Not having those extra games set us back big time .

Each of the previous seasons under Gerrard , we have incorporated the qualifiers into pre season and has worked well . Not having those extra games set us back big time .
Agreed. That and a badly constructed pre-season. Blackpool cancelled but no replacement set up even behind closed doors. Real and Brighton back to back. Not enough minutes into first team legs. Rumoured Kent COVID, delayed work permit for Sakala and late (albeit as agreed) return back by Morelos didn’t help either.

I thought those were two great questions Mark

Like what you did by throwing the rag under the bus….

Should we have speculated to accumulate to get the right players in to give us a chance to get there. I think I feel like the gaffer in terms of the frustration.

I mean we could have I just don’t see our current board wanting to do that tho. With our history I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with us taking those sort of risks either. Perhaps this season it may have been worthwhile as there is the added bonus a league win virtually guarantees CL football next season.

It backs up my thoughts that he has been frustrated since coming back after the summer break.

Wins the league then has no funds to properly strengthen the first eleven.
"Ive taken this team as far as..."

That may be a growing feeling even though he still seems quite happy and very motivated. On the assumption we win the League Id say we really have to level up in the Champions League next season in order to keep our Manager.

He sees progress and there is but its slower than from his previous seasons in charge which is understandable given the place we were at when he walked in the door.

"Did you get exactly what you wanted in terms of additions in the summer"

"We made the most of what was available - that's all i can say on that"

Got the impression - rightly or wrongly - that the manager feels a bit frustrated by the recent window.
Press will twist the living shit outta that response… why did he say that? Poor from SG. I sense he’s frustrated. First signs of a rift between him and the board ever IMO

I mean we could have I just don’t see our current board wanting to do that tho. With our history I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with us taking those sort of risks either. Perhaps this season it may have been worthwhile as there is the added bonus a league win virtually guarantees CL football next season.
I can well understand why the Board are a bit tentative,given,as you say our recent history. I'd rather they were prudent and still have a Club to support than being reckless as it was under Murray. Covid has probably affected whatever budget there was going to be.

With respect, that's a pish excuse for not being prepared. The management team knew from March, if not before, that, barring a total collapse, we'd be playing Champions League qualifiers this year, and therefore starting later and against higher level opposition.

I'm not suggesting there was a simple remedy to the issue, I'm merely pointing out that saying "we didn't have the extra qualifiers to get us ready" is not an excuse. If extra games were required, extra games should have been organised.

In my opinion, it was a bit of a perfect storm in that we had the suspension of key players, the lack of proper activity on transfers to improve the team, some players being injured and/or late back from internationals, and also playing against a decent side who had a significant start on us in terms of match sharpness. That being said, of that list, there are probably two of the four which we had direct control over but failed in doing so.

With respect, that's a pish excuse for not being prepared. The management team knew from March, if not before, that, barring a total collapse, we'd be playing Champions League qualifiers this year, and therefore starting later and against higher level opposition.

I'm not suggesting there was a simple remedy to the issue, I'm merely pointing out that saying "we didn't have the extra qualifiers to get us ready" is not an excuse. If extra games were required, extra games should have been organised.

In my opinion, it was a bit of a perfect storm in that we had the suspension of key players, the lack of proper activity on transfers to improve the team, some players being injured and/or late back from internationals, and also playing against a decent side who had a significant start on us in terms of match sharpness. That being said, of that list, there are probably two of the four which we had direct control over but failed in doing so.
We are a Europa team .

I think you're probably correct there, but that doesn't mean we just forego the Champions League qualifiers purely because it's above our level.
Nope but we also don't lose the heids if it doesn't go to plan. All the top Dutch, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish, Belgian sides also have barren years of qualifying for the CL groups. We just need to make it more regular or not, winning the league next season and getting direct entry means we're 1 from 2 which isn't bad

Agreed. That and a badly constructed pre-season. Blackpool cancelled but no replacement set up even behind closed doors. Real and Brighton back to back. Not enough minutes into first team legs. Rumoured Kent COVID, delayed work permit for Sakala and late (albeit as agreed) return back by Morelos didn’t help either.

I think its just about money. Goldson and Kamara aint happy because others are getting much more than them.

SG gave an interview at the beginning of the season and he didnt seem happy. I reckon the board couldnt give him the budget he felt he needed and that has resulted in some players losing their motivation.

This is all just conjecture so dont get all upset. Stay calm and ignore me. It works for the wife.

I think its just about money. Goldson and Kamara aint happy because others are getting much more than them.

SG gave an interview at the beginning of the season and he didnt seem happy. I reckon the board couldnt give him the budget he felt he needed and that has resulted in some players losing their motivation.

This is all just conjecture so dont get all upset. Stay calm and ignore me. It works for the wife.
Uk Lyell you why I don’t agree with this particularly in the case of big Goldson .

If he’s genuinely winding down his contract to leave on a Bosnian at the end of the season , he’d be taking a massive risk. Imagine a slippery , icy night in a midweek league game and some botin like Porteous goes through him , cruciate snaps . He’s left with a wrecked knee and. I new club or king contract to rely on . For me that’s not a risk many would take, look around you see people leaving with 1 year left mostly or 2 years left , players like the security of a rock solid contract .

I think Goldson will sign a new deal , Kamara not so much I think he with two years left might be looking for a move to London , just my opinion

Back