Steven Gerrard to Liverpool can wait as Rangers legend Richard Gough wants 'remarkable job' seen through

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Richard Gough hopes Steven Gerrard doesn’t swap Rangers for Liverpool for at least another five years and admitted he has been stunned at how successful he has been as Ibrox boss.

Reds legend Gerrard has been tipped as a future Anfield gaffer but at just 40-years-old and still in his first managerial job, Gough reckons a Merseyside return can wait.

The legendary Nine In A Row captain hailed Gerrard for his outstanding work since taking over at the Light Blues three years ago as he closes in on the club’s first title in a decade.

Gough, who is in regular contact with Gerrard, admitted the former England captain’s success in Europe has been remarkable with Gers odds-on to reach the last-16 of the Europa League for the second season in a row after a 4-3 first leg win away to Royal Antwerp.

And the former Scotland captain told the Liverpool Echo: “The word on the street is that one day he will come back and manage Liverpool, but I just hope that doesn’t happen for maybe five years or so because he’s still a young man.

“This is his third season and he started really well. I can’t believe how well the team has done in Europe and don’t forget, it’s not the Rangers of 30 years ago with England internationals in the side.

“With the quality of players he’s got up there at the moment he’s done a remarkable job, he really has.

“The money the players are on up there is maybe comparable to the Championship and to be in with a chance of getting through to the last sixteen in the Europa League again is terrific. And that’s without 55,000 fans behind them.

“I’m in good contact with him, when I text him he gets right back to me. I’ve been very impressed with him.”

Gerrard told last week how legendary Gers boss Walter Smith has been acting as an unofficial mentor and Gough insists there is nobody better to call upon for advice.

And the 58-year-old - who won 18 major honours in a golden era for the club - revealed how he might have played an unwitting role in Gerrard taking over.

Gough was at Ibrox for the 3-2 Old Firm derby defeat which Gerrard took in shortly before accepting the job offer from then chairman Dave King.

Gough said: “I came over to watch a game at Ibrox against Celtic about three years ago in my role as a Rangers ambassador, and I met Steven in the Director’s Box and had a chat with him.

“I later learned that he’d had discussions after the match with Rangers, so maybe I played a little part!

Dave King, who was the chairman, is a friend of mine and he told me that he’d sounded out Kenny Dalglish as to whether Steven would be interested in the Rangers job. Kenny said he probably would be.

“Dave said Gerrard was brilliant when they spoke about what he wanted. He wasn’t worried about money, he just wanted to make sure his staff were looked after.

“He’s brought a real professionalism to Rangers and I know he has spoken to Walter Smith, which is good. Steven will do his own thing but if he ever needs anything he can phone Walter. There won’t be too many situations that Walter hasn’t been in.”

“Dave said Gerrard was brilliant when they spoke about what he wanted. He wasn’t worried about money, he just wanted to make sure his staff were looked after.
it's always been the love of the game and not money that drives Gerrard, and those types of people seems to make the best managers

Back