Steven Gerrard

He's worth considering. All those saying he's no managerial experience I'd remind that Souness didn't have any managerial experience when he came. Gerrard would command respect and also would be a known name within the game when trying to attract players to the club. I'd imagine also that he'd be an affordable option and would be respected within the dressing room.

He's worth considering. All those saying he's no managerial experience I'd remind that Souness didn't have any managerial experience when he came. Gerrard would command respect and also would be a known name within the game when trying to attract players to the club. I'd imagine also that he'd be an affordable option and would be respected within the dressing room.
You have a point but souness had an open check book and an influx of English players due to England being banned in Europe.

Different circumstances and a more difficult one we are in at the moment.

You have a point but souness had an open check book and an influx of English players due to England being banned in Europe.

Different circumstances and a more difficult one we are in at the moment.
Obviously it's different circumstances and I agree with you but doesn't alter the fact that Souness didn't have any managerial experience. We need someone affordable that will give the whole place a lift that is affordable, Gerrard should be considered.

There are absolutely no guarantees in Football.

We could have Mourinho as manager and it wouldnt guarantee success.

Two of the biggest managers in the world right now are Zidane and Guardiola, both had only managed B teams (equivalent of U23 teams) before stepping into their first role as managers at Real Madrid and Barcelona... both have done not too bad. Both were great players in their own right too.

Gerrard (or someone similar) would be a big gamble but it would attract massive interest and perhaps some names to our squad than we would if an uninspiring choice like Mcinnes or McLeish takes it.

For what its worth I doubt he would be interested anyway.

Obviously it's different circumstances and I agree with you but doesn't alter the fact that Souness didn't have any managerial experience. We need someone affordable that will give the whole place a lift that is affordable, Gerrard should be considered.
Yip that’s why I said you had a point mate to a certain extent.

But just my opinion with no experience and where we are at the moment it wouldn’t be right.

Of all the names mentioned so far that would be affordable he's the one that would tick all the boxes.
He'd command respect.
He'd install a winning mentality.
Be good for attracting players to the club.
Experience of playing at the highest level.
Good knowledge of British football.

The lift the place would get would be incredible. A genuine big buzz, a huge profile. Players would instantly respect him and want to play for him. He could attract better players. And he'd have help.

Ok, it's hypothetical, but anyone wanting Derek McInnes over Gerrard should be sectioned !! (Cue,"it's you who should be sectioned!" :D)

The lift the place would get would be incredible. A genuine big buzz, a huge profile. Players would instantly respect him and want to play for him. He could attract better players. And he'd have help.

Ok, it's hypothetical, but anyone wanting Derek McInnes over Gerrard should be sectioned !! (Cue,"it's you who should be sectioned!" :D)

The current names quoted are hugely, hugely uninspiring.

You are right..... the lift from a Gerrard, Lampard would be sensational.

Winners. Loyal. Successful.

The current names quoted are hugely, hugely uninspiring.

You are right..... the lift from a Gerrard, Lampard would be sensational.

Winners. Loyal. Successful.
Exactly mate. If there was a genuine choice/option between Gerrard and McInnes there is only one winner - and he's not currently got Anthony Docherty as his assistant !!

Of course Gerrard would be a far better appointment than McInnes ffs !!- the place would be rejuvenated, the players would be chomping at the bit, the fans would be excited. The sense of anticipation would be immense. It would be a 'no-brainer'. We're not getting any of that with McInnes.

So we want to bring in another manager with L plates on? not for me, i have had enough of this shite. Time to get real and bring in a manager who has served his time, won stuff and knows how to plan, lead organise and control a group of players from disparate backgrounds and abilities.

Checking out the Ibrox dugouts area last week ;)
271017_liverpool_gerrard_01.jpg

So we want to bring in another manager with L plates on? not for me, i have had enough of this shite. Time to get real and bring in a manager who has served his time, won stuff and knows how to plan, lead organise and control a group of players from disparate backgrounds and abilities.

Like.......who?

Ok - so you're ruling out Derek McInnes then, so who do you want ?............

Ok - so you're ruling out Derek McInnes then, so who do you want ?............

McInnes is not necessarily for me either, but he has at least been a manager for a couple of years.

I just want us to take a much less risky option and get the club back to stability, challenging Celtic, winning a trophy or two on the way and a run in Europe. I have stated I want big Sam in, but that's probably as much of a reach as Stevie G.

McInnes is not necessarily for me either, but he has at least been a manager for a couple of years.

I just want us to take a much less risky option and get the club back to stability, challenging Celtic, winning a trophy or two on the way and a run in Europe. I have stated I want big Sam in, but that's probably as much of a reach as Stevie G.
Less risky normally means less reward. Safe and stable isn't going to win us anything. We will just keep ticking over, being average and being the 'nearly men', while the mentally challengeds continue to dominate.

I'd take Allardyce or Gerrard over McInnes any day. The buzz Gerrard would create would be fantastic for everyone. Players and fans would feed off that massively - and that can be more useful than appointing a run of the mill manager like McInnes who fans and players are a bit 'meh' about.

John Barnes played for Liverpool,had worldwide respect from players etc.That worked out well for the mhanks.

John Barnes played for Liverpool,had worldwide respect from players etc.That worked out well for the mhanks.
I might have had a shite blow-job form a girl with blond hair one time.

It doesn't mean to say that I will turn down blow-jobs from other girls with blond hair ;)

Plus, John Barnes is just a bit thick :D

I genuinely struggle for words to respond to this.

I’ll go for ‘incredible’ though :D

It's about what is likely to be affordable to us. All managers have to start somewhere. If and it's a big if Gerrard is within our reach then he should be considered. Appointing someone like Gerrard would lift the who place and would generate huge media interest.

Young (in management terms), ambitious, hungry for success, played at the top level, commands respect. Sound familiar? Why not start another revolution? It was good enough then why not now? Circumstances are entirely different but it might be a chance worth taking.

Current candidates are utterly uninspiring. Looking at the options there are no guarantees with anyone.
No more experiments please, let's get an auld Sage. And steady the club for a while rather than the helterskelter last few years,

No more experiments please, let's get an auld Sage. And steady the club for a while rather than the helterskelter last few years,
This safe option isn't gonna do us any favours tbh. We need to be ambitious and aim as high as we possibility can. It can also be said that any managerial appointment is risky as experience doesn't guarantee success.

This safe option isn't gonna do us any favours tbh. We need to be ambitious and aim as high as we possibility can. It can also be said that any managerial appointment is risky as experience doesn't guarantee success.
We as a club cannot afford to do anything other than play safe and build on it. If the board were to go experimental and it went tits up we would have fans at the front door protesting to have them removed, Warburton Fail Pedro has left us in slightly better shape but to pull in a rookie at this point would not be the best option, I would love say a Gerard but the downside of failure is too great

We as a club cannot afford to do anything other than play safe and build on it. If the board were to go experimental and it went tits up we would have fans at the front door protesting to have them removed, Warburton Fail Pedro has left us in slightly better shape but to pull in a rookie at this point would not be the best option, I would love say a Gerard but the downside of failure is too great
I get what you're saying but if we go the safe option and continue not to challenge Celtic the fans will still be at the door demanding removal of the board. An appointment like Gerrard would generate worldwide interest and allow us to possibly attract better players. I think an appointment of someone like Gerrard would have the whole place excited tbh.

I get what you're saying but if we go the safe option and continue not to challenge Celtic the fans will still be at the door demanding removal of the board. An appointment like Gerrard would generate worldwide interest and allow us to possibly attract better players. I think an appointment of someone like Gerrard would have the whole place excited tbh.
Safe option doesn't mean not competing in fact I would say it's the opossite, when Palace went for safe hands with Big Sam it wasn't to just steady the ship but to gel the players into a unit and compete as one rather than a disfuntional mess.

Why not Ryan Giggs?! If Gerrard was to come, id rather it was in the middle of the park

Why bother with any of this pish?

Ask Kenny Miller if he would accept Kenny Miller as manager and get him in the hot seat.
Bruno as his assistant and Kranjčar as coach.

And after reading that bat shit crazy madness back to myself it makes more sense than the following.

Gerrard.
Lampard.
Murty.
McCoist.
Souness.
And probably several more "options" I've read over the last 24 hours.

There isn't one or at least not one we could attract or afford. The key to someone like Gerrard or similar is who he has as a number 2. In a similar way to Souness.
Gerrard with someone like Sammy Lee as his assistant. That could work IMO.

Gerrard and Sammy Lee or McInnes and Anthony Docherty !! :D

Or Giggs, he’s had a taste of management.

Why bother with any of this pish?

Ask Kenny Miller if he would accept Kenny Miller as manager and get him in the hot seat.
Bruno as his assistant and Kranjčar as coach.

And after reading that bat shit crazy madness back to myself it makes more sense than the following.

Gerrard.
Lampard.
Murty.
McCoist.
Souness.
And probably several more "options" I've read over the last 24 hours.

So..... for my hat trick on this thread.

Who?

Wasn’t SG seen in Glasgow recently? :D

It was the Homebase in Pollokshaws mate. He was picking out light fittings for his new rental property.

Former Leeds striker Alan Smith was seen carrying the light fittings to Stevie's car but it's unknown whether he is set for a role in the new Rangers regime or he just works there.

Fcuk it, I'm going to throw Marcelo Gallardo's name into the hat. Leaving River once their Libertadores campaign is finished (possibly tonight) and will be looking to move to Europe.

And no I am not being serious, but I think he'll do a really good job wherever he goes.

Where do you think he'll go? Is he linked with anyone?

Pochettino did ok with a translator at Southampton. Just saying!

Quick question for the more mature bear....there was a time where Player/Manager was all the rage. I think that Souness was still a good player and that we were able to bring him to Glasgow firstly to lay and then manage. The appointment of Walter would suggest that he needed an experienced guy on the bench for when he was on the park.

My question is why did the player manager go out of vougue? Is it simply that there are not the players with the required character that could be the boss and a player at the same time? Or is it that these players were once in a lifetime sorts that don't exist in the modern game.

He's just started coaching youth football. If we sort ourselves out down the line and he's still doing well at Liverpool's academy then maybe he'd be considered but right now you're having a laugh

He's just started coaching youth football. If we sort ourselves out down the line and he's still doing well at Liverpool's academy then maybe he'd be considered but right now you're having a laugh
If he's still doing well years down the line it'd be unlikely we'd be able to afford or attract him as he'll be in very high demand.

Back