Steven Gerrard's selection warning to Rangers players as he insists there are 'no favourites'

BlueMeanie

Steven Gerrard has warned his Ibrox big hitters that no player is guaranteed a place in his team this season.

The Gers gaffer is getting close to the squad he wants for an assault on the Premiership and Europa League after the arrival of £4million defender Filip Helander from Bologna .

Signings such as Joe Aribo and on-loan Liverpool ace Sheyi Ojo have Gerrard believing he has built a squad capable of challenging on all fronts.

With fierce competition for places now, the manager insists none of his players should take a start for granted.

Most fans are expecting Swedish
 international Helander and Connor Goldson to be Gerrard’s first-choice central defensive pairing.

But with the likes of Niko Katic and George Edmundson breathing down their necks, the Rangers boss insists that’s not the case.

He has vowed not to pick a side based on price tags or reputations and says even big-name stars will only be selected for the line-up on merit.

As he geared up for today’s friendly against Blackburn Rovers and Thursday night’s Europa League qualifier against Progres Niederkorn, Gerrard said: “It’s not fair to say Filip and Connor will be my first-choice partnership at the back, far from it.

“I pick the best 11 players who I think can get the job done and that will change from week to week. I don’t have
favourites or stonewallers for the shirt.

“People might have a different opinion on that because I pick certain players more than others.

“If you’re in form it gives you a better chance of keeping the shirt, of course.

“But no one is a shoo-in here any more to start in the first XI, unless they deserve it.

“Players have to keep performing and that’s the way it should be at a club like Rangers with its
history and the success it has had over the years.

“It shouldn’t be easy to get a starting shirt for Rangers. The competition has really warmed up because of the additions.

“The intensity in training has gone up which is
 positive. If you have a dip in form or don’t do this shirt justice, you’re leaving yourself open because there’s someone just as good as you now ready to take his chance.

“I don’t pick players on name or price tag. I don’t pick on reputation, not at all.

“I only pick on form and what I see every day. I pick players who I trust.

“I think I’ve shown that in the last 12 months.”

Helander could get game time against Blackburn this afternoon and Gerrard will hope the Swede 
settles as quickly as 
fellow new boy Aribo.

It’s early days for the former Charlton
 midfielder but he already looks like being a terrific piece of
 business by Rangers.

Rules governing cross border compensation meant Rangers only paid a development fee of around £300,000 for the 22-year-old, despite interest from other clubs.

Gerrard is convinced he has found a rough diamond in Aribo, who’s probably worth 10 times what they paid for him in today’s market.

He said: “Joe’s got the potential to be a top midfielder and has all the 
attributes. He’s still raw so we need to shape him round the edges. We need to help him tactically and positionally.

“He has all the qualities to be a
top midfield player. It’s a hell of a coup to have him here and in
the future I think that will be proven.

“I don’t think I should put a price tag on a young player like that but it would be a lot more than we paid for him. Yeah, a hell of a lot more.

“He gives us balance on the left side of midfield, he’s got the profile we didn’t have and he’s willing to take the ball in tight spaces.

“He can burst past players, he can outplay them.

“He’s strong and works tirelessly for the team.

“He’ll compete, he’s aggressive and he makes the right
decisions. For someone so young he ticks a lot of boxes.

“I’m just glad I’ve got the chance to work with him. But what a place for him to develop in front of 51,000 on European nights, Old Firm games, tough matches up and down the country.

“What a place this is for the next stage of his career. This is the perfect place for him.”

While Ibrox punters might have had high expectations of Aribo, the same couldn’t be said for comeback kid Greg Docherty.

Even on his return from a loan spell at Shrewsbury Town, his future looked to be in some doubt as Gerrard added to his midfield options.

But the Gers boss has praised the Scot for his
 attitude and his performances in pre-season – and insists he will get an
 opportunity to make an impact at the club this term.

Gerrard said: “Greg has come back a different man. He’s a more mature
person and a better player after his loan.

“I’ve been really pleased with him. By playing positively on Thursday night against St Joseph’s he got a penalty and a couple of assists.

“He’s such an athlete and there will be different roles for him this season.

“It’s great to have him back in the squad and he seems up for the fight. He wants to battle for a shirt and minutes.

“He’s in a good place right now and Shrewsbury deserve credit for that.

“But the kid deserves it as well because he went out of his comfort zone and represented Rangers in a top way.

“He got Player of the Year and couldn’t have done much more. He at least deserves a crack at it here.

“I’ll give him an opportunity to shine and I think he’ll take it.

“I only want people here
 who are desperate to play for the shirt and to be part of
 this club.

“I want players who
 love coming to work and
 representing Rangers.

“Anyone who isn’t up
 for the fight or who is
 looking over the garden fence for other opportunities, I wish them well.

“I only want people who will give everything for the shirt and Greg is one of those boys.”

As things stand, I would say Tavernier is the only outfield player so much better than anyone else in his position that he is a certainty to be picked if the game matters.

Class interview there. So much competition for places. He's spot on about Doc, he was fantastic against St Josephs. He shows so much desire to win the ball and drive forward when it would have been easy for players to take their foot off the gas.

I like Gerrard and actually, think the only thing that will stop us winning the title this year would be dodgy decisions by refs but, I wish these comments from him would stay within the realms of our four walls instead of in the press.

I like Gerrard and actually, think the only thing that will stop us winning the title this year would be dodgy decisions by refs but, I wish these comments from him would stay within the realms of our four walls instead of in the press.
What’s he said that’s unpalatable?

It’s a squad game and there’s a hefty season ahead of them all. Refs will do their best to diminish the squad availability, sluggers and hammer throwers in shitty teams like Motherwell will try to leave one in to assist their boyhood heroes at Celtic.

The dice are loaded against us on and off the field. The only way to ensure success if we are suitably resourced and capable in all departments. Make NO mistake 55 will not come to us easily. The dark forces at Hollicom and the SFA will throw all sorts of shit in our way.

Brilliant to hear what he’s said about Greg Docherty. He’s a player I want to see do very well for Rangers.

I do doubt the bit about no one being guaranteed a place. Loan signings will have a minimum number of games they need to play in their contract. I think that was evident with Worrall & Kent last year.

Back