Steven McLean

Commentator

Is there anyone less psychologically suited to controlling a contest between two football teams? He just gets so many decisions wrong. Every game I've seen him refereeing always sees him focusing more on how butch he comes across rather than applying the laws of the game. A very strange individual.

Completely failed to address the time wasting. Yellow card towards the end of the game does nothing. A referee that allows 6 minutes of time wasting to build up has failed to manage the game.
Six minutes 'at least'. They wasted two of those six and arsey blew on six. I timed it as I suspected he'd do so after blowing when we were on/near the edge of the box in the first half.

He has wee man syndrome we all know the type weak and insecure but when in a position of power like to show everyone who is boss.

Every game he loves dishing out i am in charge lectures to players.

Fucking shit ref anaw sometimes lets niggly fouls go - other times stops for every little incident.

Mans a wee fucking weasel - face i would never tire of slapping.

Not seen it yet but apparently our goal was offside and Motherwell should have had a penalty.
If so did he do ok?
Was better than the dickhead who did our Euro tie on Thursday night.

Go on hit me with your rhythm stick.

The thing I wish is all referee's and probably UEFA look at the time keepers keep holding the ball. The rule is 6 seconds. Kelly must have averaged 26 seconds today. Right from the start he was at it,
As much as I agree with the sentiment, there hasn’t been a six second rule for years.

Absolutely woeful from him today, the amount of respect Motherwell showed him today = Zero!

That keeper Kelly had the ball in his hands for a good 30 seconds at one point, he must have killed about 15 from kick outs alone.

I just wish we had stronger ref’s in Scotland, he gave them most 50/50’s and let them cheat to a point. The sub in injury time was a joke too, 1 minute to walk off.

He did let Motherwell away with time wasting at times but I thought he let quite a few challenges go today. Game should of been out of sight before their goal so I won’t blame the ref for the outcome today.
Outwith the time wasting I thought he had a decent game. Time should not have been a factor, we blew it after playing some great stuff with pace and energy, missing so far this season. Thought Wright, Roofe and Sakala linked up well today

You have to look at the match stats today regarding fouls and ask which Team was the dirtier more physical Team.

Fouls - Home16 Away 9

Every opportunity they went down like a sack of spuds with little or no contact. It is not a team that is cheating by being overly physical or time wasting. it is the referee for not taking control of the game.

the substitutions for Motherwell he was literally allowing them to take their time getting off the park.

Outwith the time wasting I thought he had a decent game. Time should not have been a factor, we blew it after playing some great stuff with pace and energy, missing so far this season. Thought Wright, Roofe and Sakala linked up well today
Didn't blame him for the result, that's on us. But 'a decent game' doesn't involve getting so many decisions wrong. He's always like this. It looks like he has poor vision and just guesses - with 'authority', he thinks.

Didn't blame him for the result, that's on us. But 'a decent game' doesn't involve getting so many decisions wrong. He's always like this. It looks like he has poor vision and just guesses - with 'authority', he thinks.
Is hard to disagree but I guess compared to other games he was letting things go and gave us advantage a few times, which we didn't capitalize on. Hate seeing ref posts everytime we blow it. Today was all on us

He is a self important posing incompetent fud who makes every decision and break in play about him. Standing on the ball, holding the ball. It's all about getting himself on the TV. Added to that he is an absolute shite referee who seems to have a problem with Rangers.

You have to look at the match stats today regarding fouls and ask which Team was the dirtier more physical Team.

Fouls - Home16 Away 9

Every opportunity they went down like a sack of spuds with little or no contact. It is not a team that is cheating by being overly physical or time wasting. it is the referee for not taking control of the game.

the substitutions for Motherwell he was literally allowing them to take their time getting off the park.
A part of that's was our players being naive when needing a goal and jumping in to stupid challenges tav arfield aribo all within 5 mins killing the tempo of the game excactly what they wanted

Completely failed to address the time wasting. Yellow card towards the end of the game does nothing. A referee that allows 6 minutes of time wasting to build up has failed to manage the game.
There should have been at least 10 minutes injury time. Why he just let their keeper hold the ball. I checked one time and the keeper held onto it for 15 seconds. Now I know it's one of those rules that is rarely applied to the second, but 15 + seconds and no foul is a joke.

The rule:

An indirect free-kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession,”

I have absolutely no issue with teams time wasting and managing the game. Actually I wish we managed games better at times

if we done our job properly today then Motherwell wouldn’t have been wasting time.

All Scottish referees are terrible.

He is a self important posing incompetent fud who makes every decision and break in play about him. Standing on the ball, holding the ball. It's all about getting himself on the TV. Added to that he is an absolute shite referee who seems to have a problem with Rangers.
What is he trying to prove? It's more than the old "he's not one of us" thing.

Just an all round terrible referee.

The time wasting from Motherwell today would get football stopped. He also missed IMO a stonewall penalty for Motherwell.

Their substitution in injury time (their no 9?) was the most infuriating sub I can remember:

- The boy deliberately ignored the announcer and turned his back on the number board
- ref pointed it out to him and he still feigned ignorance
- then he bumbles over, taking a full 60 seconds+ to walk about 20 yards
- meanwhile the referee is ignoring this completely.

Total narcissist.

Bet he went home, locked himself in his bedroom, and had a wank in front of the mirror.

He did let Motherwell away with time wasting at times but I thought he let quite a few challenges go today. Game should of been out of sight before their goal so I won’t blame the ref for the outcome today.
The ones he let go were challenges on our players.

Is there anyone less psychologically suited to controlling a contest between two football teams? He just gets so many decisions wrong. Every game I've seen him refereeing always sees him focusing more on how butch he comes across rather than applying the laws of the game. A very strange individual.
Apart from the obvious time wasting there was one occasion in the 2nd half where a Motherwell player slid into the tackle, in front of the Govan, and knocked the ball over the touchline for our throw. His momentum carried him off the park but he got back on again without a problem then lay down and called for the physio and McLean let him.
Similarly, O'Donnell took one in the stones ( I think it was from an Arfield shot, and fell over the goal line. McLean waited for him to recover enough ( off the park ) before letting us take the corner.

Just a couple of things that irritated me as well as McLean's attempt to intervene near the end when Motherwell were farting about at a free kick. As he ran a couple of yards towards the players they acknowledged the ref and that was enough for McLean he turned and ran back.

I agree with the poster that wrote all Scottish referees are sh!te.

He is a shite referee, ive not looked at other posts he was his usual ,all about him .Kelly wasted time from the first goal and done nothing, he is garbage.

Only good thing about Steven mclean is his cousin.

Absolute belter...she's some bit of gear.

The time wasting wasn’t the reason we dropped two points today. We weren’t clinical enough in front of goal.
But he could have quite easily went over to their manager and told him, keep the time wasting up and the yellow and red cards will be coming out..
Far to to soft.
Yeah he put up 6 minutes but they they just frittered that away by more time wasting.

The thing I wish is all referee's and probably UEFA look at the time keepers keep holding the ball. The rule is 6 seconds. Kelly must have averaged 26 seconds today. Right from the start he was at it,
Same with the taking the ball to the other side of the 6 yard box for a bye kick. I know McGregor does it a lot however it’s a pet hate of mines. You can’t take the ball to whichever side you want to take a corner can you? The amount of time that gets wasted with this!

He should have clamped down harder on the time wasting, apart from that I can't remember anything controversial.
The guy who went down in the middle of our half after their goal celebrations should have been booked. I was surprised their keeper didn't need a comfort break the amount of times he took a drink before a bye kick. The 6 second rule, what's the point if it's never enforced.

He is the perfect referee for any team coming to Ibrox and looking to kill it as he awards every slightest challenge and let's teams away with taking ages
Which suggests the op is both right and wrong. In all honesty I think he’s the least competent of them all a total brain fart.

He should have clamped down harder on the time wasting, apart from that I can't remember anything controversial.
The guy who went down in the middle of our half after their goal celebrations should have been booked. I was surprised their keeper didn't need a comfort break the amount of times he took a drink before a bye kick. The 6 second rule, what's the point if it's never enforced.
I think it was about 90 seconds into the game they got their first goal kick and the keeper stopped for a drink.

A decent referee nips that in the bud right away.

The Motherwell keeper was time wasting at 1 nil down. I know the game wasn't on Sky but its no wonder we can't get a decent TV deal with all the time wasting. Up at St Johnstone it was the same.

He is the perfect referee for any team coming to Ibrox and looking to kill it as he awards every slightest challenge and let's teams away with taking ages
To be fair when teams start playing like that against us we fall into their trap and start giving the refs no option. Some of the fouls we gave away towards the end were really frustrating.
Their substitution in injury time (their no 9?) was the most infuriating sub I can remember:

- The boy deliberately ignored the announcer and turned his back on the number board
- ref pointed it out to him and he still feigned ignorance
- then he bumbles over, taking a full 60 seconds+ to walk about 20 yards
- meanwhile the referee is ignoring this completely.
Probably cause he had already booked him for his 3rd dive of the game so let him away with going off slowly.

I have absolutely no issue with teams time wasting and managing the game. Actually I wish we managed games better at times

if we done our job properly today then Motherwell wouldn’t have been wasting time.

All Scottish referees are terrible.

There are rules in place for a reason though and if teams are blatantly time wasting the ref needs to nip it in the bud.

Six minutes 'at least'. They wasted two of those six and arsey blew on six. I timed it as I suspected he'd do so after blowing when we were on/near the edge of the box in the first half.
They should stop the clock when the ball is out of play and it would stop all the crap. The over all time would probably be 15-30 minutes longer but it would cut out a lot of frustration. I wonder how many people would get cramp if the time was added on.

What happened to leaving the park at the nearest point when being subbed or does that rule only apply to Steven Davis

Ticked all the boxes for a team coming to Ibrox to play anti-football. Free kicks given to the opposition for just going to ground, enabled constant time wasting from the first whistle and even while we were one up and don’t even get me started on the blatant feigning of injury or the substitutions.

He also blew for both halves when we were in an attacking position just outside the box, funny that because the ref’s normally let play go on if its against us.

This surprised me too.

They normally wait a few seconds until a move fizzles out, or a corner is taken.

Given they also made an injury time substitution it made it more annoying Ross.

He is an absolute sh1tebag. Surely there should be formal procedures we can go through regarding the amount of times, he ignored the rules of the game, to allow Kelly to waste an incredible amount of time.

He is an absolute sh1tebag. Surely there should be formal procedures we can go through regarding the amount of times, he ignored the rules of the game, to allow Kelly to waste an incredible amount of time.
Number one consideration with these raging ego types is not losing face. If he pulled Kelly up for it and he kept doing it, it would have diminished McLean's authority. So he ignores it, the spectacle is ruined and the product he should be helping to sell by applying the rules is cheapened but he doesn't give a phuk. He's the star.

Back