Steven Pressley nearly had talks to re-sign for Rangers

I think a lot of people are mixing Hartley with Pressley here.

Walter wanted to clear the deck in defence. For some strange, unknown and possibly undocumented reason, he didn't think a central partnership of Karl Svensson and Julien Rodriguez was the way forward.

Strange that.

Walter wanted Hartley in January, Pressley was already a signed up jump-the-dyke mentally challenged by that point.

Edit: Fucked it, he's not a CB, Pressley is a CB. We wanted Hartley. poets got wind of it and signed him.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are mixing Hartley with Pressley here.

Walter wanted to clear the deck in defence. For some strange, unknown and possibly undocumented reason, he didn't think a central partnership of Karl Svensson and Julien Rodriguez was the way forward.

Strange that.

Walter wanted Hartley in January to partner Weir, Pressley was already a signed up jump-the-dyke mentally challenged by that point.

We'd already signed Webster on Loan and with a view to signing him at the end of it. He was going to be the "marquee" signing of the January and was to be fast-tracked to the captaincy.

I believe Webster was a "board project" and if you know anything about our board at the time then you know who sanctioned this. They thought he was a future Rangers Captain and had gone above and beyond jumping through legal loopholes making sure he could get to us from Hearts.

Walter did not rate Webster. He did not want him. He was not going to play him. His Rangers career did not go well.

Walter wanted to pair David Weir with Paul Hartley. Simple as that.

poets got wind of it about a week before the end of the transfer window and offered Hartley £10k extra a week to sign for them. We scrambled and signed big Ugo.

Not arguing with you mate, but we wanted Hartley as a centre half??

Would this be around the time he went to Celtic? I remember their fans in my work being distraught about him signing for them :))

Not long after he signed for them they beat Hearts at Tynecastle & Pressley was ecstatic, fist pumping & applauding the away fans, beaming & laughing like a Champions League winner.

After his association with Hearts, club captain etc, I thought his actions were completely disrespectful & unnecessary & summed up the type of individual he is.

Not long after he signed for them they beat Hearts at Tynecastle & Pressley was ecstatic, fist pumping & applauding the away fans, beaming & laughing like a Champions League winner.

After his association with Hearts, club captain etc, I thought his actions were completely disrespectful & unnecessary & summed up the type of individual he is.
Well, he's an Aberdeen fan. He says so on OTB.

Found a comment from Kerrydale at the time they signed him.

“Looking at who the huns have signed, Ehiogu and Weir, it shows you what a deal we got.”

How did that work out for you buddy? A few tough years ahead.

People were crying out for a Scottish centre half to sort things out in Le Guen’s team.. not a single living soul though that Steven Pressley would be ideal for the role :oops:

Regarding Hartley, does the story go he was sat in a car park with his agent waiting for Celtic to hijack his move to Rangers, or something like that?

Just think how long it would have taken him to shout 'oooouuuuutttt' to his other defenders, the next attack would have happened.

What a non story that is.

I can’t wait till I have some free time to listen to the rest of said interview.

Riveting stuff.

I wish he had resigned after his debut for our reserves.....Comes across as a very strange individual indeed!

Is there anyone in the game with a higher opinion of himself? The guy is an absolute throbber.
I'm sure someone on here posted a story about Pressley coming into his work (petrol station). The poster was quite young at the time and was really excited to see a Rangers player so he shouted "Elvis, Elvis come to the front of the (large) queue". So Pressley being Pressley does so and saunters past everyone.
When he got to the cash desk the kid was literally pissing his pants with excitement and asked "Anything else for you big man?" only for Pressley to roll his eyes and say "Just the petrol wee man" and walked out with as much as a thanks.
Sounds a bout right. Prick!

I can definitely remember this rumour from the time. Our defence was an absolute shambles at that point but I'm fairly content that Davie Weir & big Ugo done a better job than that clown Pressley ever would have.

Actually, I think he’d have done a job for u......................

Nope, can’t write it even as wind up.

It wasn’t known at the time, but it became known soon afterwards. Murray wanted to sign him, but le Guen said no.

Saw him driving a Bentley in Glasgow city centre about ten years ago.
That’s when I started to think football was fucked.

Just listening to the offtheball podcast from Saturday and he said when he left hearts he had a meeting organised with David Murray but it all kicked off with Ferguson and Le Guen and nothing came of it
I was told he was re signing around this time .

By my boss , Rangers fan.

Back