Stevie Chalmers passed away

I used to see him quite often when I was younger at the Glasgow gailes golf club where I done the caddying . Him and Bobby Lennox both played at the golf club. Both really decent guys and used to get a bit of banter with them as they knew I was a bluenoses. It was thru 9iar and early advocaat years , so I was the winner on most occasions. R.i.p Stevie.

Don't want to show disrespect, but was he not one of the protestants in that team ? Be interesting to see how they treat his death compared to O'Neil's.

RIP Mr.Chalmers.
He went to St Roch's so I doubt it.

Don't want to show disrespect, but was he not one of the protestants in that team ? Be interesting to see how they treat his death compared to O'Neil's.

RIP Mr.Chalmers.

Definetly not.

RIP Mr.Chalmers.
No the Prods were Simpson, Gemmell, Auld and Wallace.

Always when fellow Bluenoses speak of meeting "Lisbon Lions" it is more, than complimentary. I have met over the years, Ronnie Simpson, Bobby Murdoch, Jimmy Johnstone, Tommy Gemmell and Jock Stein and have to say, I felt honoured on each occasion. Each and everyone, were Class.

Heartfelt Condolences to the Family and Friends, of Stevie Chalmers.

Last edited:
Its 100% true guys, he wasnt a protestant but was a very decent man
You are correct about both. He was not a protestant but he was a decent man. Steven Chalmers has been in residential care for a couple of years now, battling with dementia but a severe chest infection caused his death. I know friends of the Chalmers family.

Chalmers was a great professional and was unlucky in that he never got the recognition he was due in terms of caps with the Scotland team. He only got 5 caps and scored 3 goals. I was at Hampden in 1966 when he scored in a 1-1 draw against Brazil. The last time I saw him score a goal was for Partick Thistle in an afternoon midweek cup replay against Hearts at Firhill back in 1974. I'm genuinely sorry to hear of his passing.

I had never heard of Steve Chalmers until he headed Celtic into the lead in the 1960 Scottish Cup semi against us. He had only been signed a short time before from Junior football, I think Ashfield. We equalised and won the replay 4-1. He was not a skilful player but I recognised he was quick, wholehearted and gave everything for his club. At that time he was a typical Celtic player.

He was one of their top strikers. Remember him scoring the 4th goal against us in the 69 cups final.
I still maintain he was offside in the 67 European cup final.

RIP

My Brother maintains to this day, that Tommy Gemmell was offside anaw LOL

Last edited:
As I said in a post last week ,when Tommy Gemmell joined celtic he and Ian Young were the only Protestants in their team and if things went wrong some of the players called them Orange b#stards and the only players who stuck up for them were Billy McNeil and Stevie Chalmers ,so as you say in post "A very decent man"

RIP Stevie

I've no idea what he was like as a person off the park & can only talk about his football performances - which were better than many - including his own fans - gave him credit for

If I recall correctly he was big, awkward, strong & had more skill than most recognised

As a youngster I thought he was similar to Jimmy Millar - but with hindsight he wasn't really on a par - although at times he was almost as effective

I'd imagine many defenders dreaded playing against him because he did have a commanding presence, was difficult to dispossess & had a good eye for goal

Just my memory / opinion of course
On the very few occasssions I've expressed this view with members of the unwashed - they've viewed him as a dud

As I said in a post last week ,when Tommy Gemmell joined celtic he and Ian Young were the only Protestants in their team and if things went wrong some of the players called them Orange b#stards and the only players who stuck up for them were Billy McNeil and Stevie Chalmers ,so as you say in post "A very decent man"
never had a problem with Stevie Chalmers,but I don't care if he's a proddy or a Tim,but Bertie Auld was a sneaky horrible bitter bassa.ask any one who saw him break Davie Provans leg

An incredibly decent chap.
I played against his son more than once and he came along if he wasn’t playing himself.
One day I scored four in the second half against them, I was a sub, this was punishment after a minor disagreement with my own manager.
Anyway Mr Chalmers congratulated me at the end.
“Great game son, I’m told you’re still young enough for the eighteens?”
“If this is right, stick in and listen plenty”.
Unfortunately, as with most of the advice I got back then, I didn’t do too much listening back then.
I know, cool story and all that, but, I wanted to demonstrate what a gentleman Mr Chalmers was.
RIP and condolences to the family and friends.

Back