Stevie G and European ties

monkey magic

Its superb we're top of the SPFL and in cracking form, and I'm enjoying every second, but these European ties are the icing on the cake and we're putting in some excellent performances, one already in Belgium might even include a goal of the season from Roofe. Anyone else reckon that the Gaffer's massive experience in European competition, where he's seen and done it all, gives a boost in confidence to the players. ? We look fearless at times and could have won every game so far in our group. Another win this Thursday at Ibrox and that confidence will grow even further for the latter stages. Its great to be a Bear right now.

It’s not just the results, it’s the manner in which we are getting them.

Not a smash and grab daylight robbery of far superior teams. We are playing good football and can argue we have been unlucky not to do even better against some teams that have spent significantly more on their players than we have.

Not a smash and grab daylight robbery of far superior teams. We are playing good football and can argue we have been unlucky not to do even better against some teams that have spent significantly more on their players than we have.

Spot on. Even against Benfica, the favourites to win our group, we've played some lovely football. Its a joy to watch us right now in Europe.

I’d say the only team that’s outplayed us over two games would be Leverkusen

Agree with this. We're punching well above our weight in Europe and Stevie G has put us back on the map. Whilst domestic success matters more to the fans, the performances in Europe and the money generated is more important to the club, as we have re-built our European reputation in a very short space of time. No one outside Scotland cares or notices what happens at home.

I love the way the team goes toe to toe with anyone and it's certainly building confidence in the squad. It's also fantastic to watch. Hopefully we can put on another performance Thursday. We know SG will have the team up for it, so bring it on.

I’d say the only team that’s outplayed us over two games would be Leverkusen
I honestly think some of our players are getting a bit of stage fright with the bigger teams. There's been more slack passes & lapses of concentration against them than against the lesser opposition. We're definitely on the right road though & a few trophies will do us wonders for kicking on in that respect.

If we can get Thursday sorted then it takes a bit of pressure off tbh.
Getting through the groups will see another bonus of cash coming the clubs way.
Its nothing but positives.
But as has been said the League is the bread and butter.

Agree with this. We're punching well above our weight in Europe and Stevie G has put us back on the map. Whilst domestic success matters more to the fans, the performances in Europe and the money generated is more important to the club, as we have re-built our European reputation in a very short space of time. No one outside Scotland cares or notices what happens at home.

I love the way the team goes toe to toe with anyone and it's certainly building confidence in the squad. It's also fantastic to watch. Hopefully we can put on another performance Thursday. We know SG will have the team up for it, so bring it on.
Could you explain how you reckon we're punching above our weight in Europe?? The results we have achieved in EL since the gaffer took over have been seriously impressive, we are a very good side and the results / performances merely confirm that, to suggest the team is punching above their weight is poor judgement of just how good we are, im not for 1 minute suggesting that we are going to win the EL but you can bet your last penny that it will take a very good side to beat us

Could you explain how you reckon we're punching above our weight in Europe?? The results we have achieved in EL since the gaffer took over have been seriously impressive, we are a very good side and the results / performances merely confirm that, to suggest the team is punching above their weight is poor judgement of just how good we are, im not for 1 minute suggesting that we are going to win the EL but you can bet your last penny that it will take a very good side to beat us

I should have used the caveat 'financial' in front of weight.
Teams like Galatassary and Benfica are spending exponentially more than we are, and we are matching or bettering them on the pitch.

A wee bit of inexperience has cost us a few goals. Both Benfica games the obvious examples. Iron out one or 2 small things and were another level up. Imagine qualifying with 2 games to spare after beating Benfica home and away. Orgasmic!

Naturally, I'd love us to win the League every season, but our club should be a prominent and a perennial fixture on the European stage. I've no delusional fantasies like that mob and their " dining at the European top table " craziness, but we are a big enough club to regularly make our mark in European competition.

Its superb we're top of the SPFL and in cracking form, and I'm enjoying every second, but these European ties are the icing on the cake and we're putting in some excellent performances, one already in Belgium might even include a goal of the season from Roofe. Anyone else reckon that the Gaffer's massive experience in European competition, where he's seen and done it all, gives a boost in confidence to the players. ? We look fearless at times and could have won every game so far in our group. Another win this Thursday at Ibrox and that confidence will grow even further for the latter stages. Its great to be a Bear right now.
We have a new confidence about us and it’s defo down to the gaffer!

I sometimes think we give too much credit to past experience. Yes, Gerrard can help with psychological aspects of the game from his playing days, but tactically the game has shifted since then and our success is more down to careful strategic planning from the gaffer and his backroom staff in setting up a game plan, rather than experience from his time at Liverpool.

Anyone NOT confident of beating Standard Liege if we play well? A mere 41 months after the Progres debacle? We are light years away from that now, it’s been incredible how much we’ve improved and how comfortable we look in European games. SG deserves (and gets, from us at any rate) huge praise for barely putting a foot wrong in Europe for over 2 years.

We have a new confidence about us and it’s defo down to the gaffer!
You can see by the documentaries on him that he is so focused and intense about everything!
He knows what he is about and what he expects everyone else to be about and won't settle for anything less than perfection.

Ahem..."might be goal of the season".

A Herculean effort just to hold the ball up and get an incredible shot away in torrential rain.

Wins for me.

OK the game Has changed; the competition format has changed; expectations have changed but I have never, ever, been so quietly confident going into European matches.
Once I felt it was often a case of how the fortune cookie crumbled. Now it is just matter of just grinding out the result.

Gerrard has taken a lot from Benitez Europe wise.
This, when Benitez was at Liverpool it was hard to bet against them in European ties. The gaffer is on record saying how he learned a lot of game management from Benitez as a player in these games and he’s taken this through into his management.

Scar tissue of groups we should qualify from easily give me the absolute heebie jeebies for Thursday.

We are huge bookies favourites and rightly so. But you can’t help but see that typical rangers end of group slump could still happen here. Hopefully I am way off the mark and were 3-0 up inside 45 minutes.

It will take a lot of effort in a busy December for fixtures but we should be aiming for two wins and that gives us top spot in the League .
Extra money for foi g so and a slightly easier draw in the next round .
I know it’s not our priority this year but winning is a habit and it’s easier to get yourself motivated fir games when you know you can win

Moscow, Vienna and Young Boys away are pretty much the only disappointments in over 30 European games. The form and consistency we have shown is exceptional with massive improvements clear to see each season.
If we get the luck of the draw “when” we get through, I’d fully expect us to go at least 1 round further than last season.

Ahem..."might be goal of the season".

A Herculean effort just to hold the ball up and get an incredible shot away in torrential rain.

Wins for me.
Aribo when he dances by 3 filth defenders and then rounds the keeper will win it ;)

Moscow, Vienna and Young Boys away are pretty much the only disappointments in over 30 European games. The form and consistency we have shown is exceptional with massive improvements clear to see each season.
If we get the luck of the draw “when” we get through, I’d fully expect us to go at least 1 round further than last season.

Weirdly we didn't even play poorly in those games either, we chucked goals away that cost us but should have won them all. A bit like Benfica this year, really.

You'll always have slip ups like that when you come up against the teams that will be competing with you for players, a small error in judgement costing you a goal that leads to dropped points. It's our errors allowing this though and we are the better team vs all of them.

Someone above mentioned punching above our weight, you only have to look at the threads with C&Ps from our opponents forums to see how we are viewed in Europe. We are achieving way more than we have in years under this regime. It's excellent to watch but it's more than any of us expected, I'm sure.

I should have used the caveat 'financial' in front of weight.
Teams like Galatassary and Benfica are spending exponentially more than we are, and we are matching or bettering them on the pitch.
Ah get you now, As we have seen from the vermin across the city spending money on players doesn't guarantee success but agree in spend terms we are way behind Benfica, Galatasary etc

Steven Gerrard played in a Liverpool side that weren't consumed with being better than their city rivals. They were able to enjoy European success and cup runs without looking over their shoulders.

As were are seeing with Celtic now and have seen with our own team previously, the league is the be and all and end all and Europe is a bonus, Gerrard isn't treating it as a bonus.

Scar tissue of groups we should qualify from easily give me the absolute heebie jeebies for Thursday.

We are huge bookies favourites and rightly so. But you can’t help but see that typical Rangers end of group slump could still happen here. Hopefully I am way off the mark and were 3-0 up inside 45 minutes.

Its not often I'm relaxed and confident before European ties, but I am nowadays,mate.

Its not often I'm relaxed and confident before European ties, but I am nowadays,mate.

This year I have been but I am now nervous we get over the line in both qualifying from europa and winning league cup. The pessimist in me worries what failure in either/both would do to the players.

We will chat fondly of these wins and great performances in 20 years odd time.

It's like when Advocatt took us into Europe. We played well but under achieved.

Now we perform well and over achieve.

Hope we can get a crack at the CL under Gerrard.

Back