Stevie G going full Walter Smith

Am I right in saying the team got booed off the park at half time?
Yep. I’m in GF6 and a fair few, although still a minority, were booing. It was embarrassing but the worst offenders near me were boozed up idiots who aren’t normally there for league games.

Yep. I’m in GF6 and a fair few, although still a minority, were booing. It was embarrassing but the worst offenders near me were boozed up idiots who aren’t normally there for league games.

Sadly the old european once a season neds we attract . Same as it has been since I can remember . Euroneds we call them . Checklist - tracksuit bottoms , fake SI or Canada goose jackets , nasally speech , spar solo or rothman fags , stinking of booze and openly sniffing coke and telling anyone within earshot to“ sing ya cunts “ . Make european games a misery if you get landed with one or more next to you . Rarely last the whole game normally kicked out or spewing over each other , the sense of relief when they don’t return to their seats is immense .

Justified too, the criticism he's received is disgusting, a sizeable chunk of the support forget how far Gerrard has improved us in the space of 18 months. From a bush in Luxembourg to a credible chance of reaching the last 16 of a European competition. Yes the past few weeks have been gut wrenching but we've had imbeciles comparing him to Warburton ffs. No wonder he's taking pot shots back at them.

You're not allowed to mention times pre SG on here alin his defence according to some

There were indeed a few arseholes who booed the team off.
And just for the record I don't hold with the principle of "they paid their money so they're entitled to their opinion" shit....surely we're all there to SUPPORT our team, particularly when we're only narrowly behind?
I've been supporting Rangers for well over 50 years and I've never booed the team off the pitch in my life...I've moaned like fcuk about them after the game on numerous occasions on the bus, in the pub or even on here but that's allowed eh?
;)
Yep totally agree with that, Gerrard seems frustrated with the brainless fuckwits in our support, I can't blame him. The atmosphere at 2-2 onwards was special, imagine it was like that every week? Instead the moaning and groaning brigade.

Absolute clowns in our support...
Indeed. On here, twitter etc they always reveal themselves after a disappointing result. I immediately ear mark them as shit-for-brained cretins and ignore any future insight they have on any subject. I don't mind questions being asked and some reflection but if you're immediate response is to suggest we get rid or worse abuse the manager then fuck them to the moon and back.

Yes it’s on the post match interview on rtv in front of the press .

He’s asked about the crowd and he said it can be magnificent however he then goes onto say we heard the moans behind the dugouts , we saw them leave at 2/0 , was it too cold or the traffic etc . He doesn’t miss !

Dont get me wrong he’s clever with it in terms of it’s always sandwiched in with a bit of praise , but clearly he feels we have a fair proportion of moany bastards who don’t back the team when the going gets tough - he keeps on mentioning it .

He's not wrong, the atmosphere at Ibrox is toxic. Full of folk that don't know the first thing about football.

Indeed. On here, twitter etc they always reveal themselves after a disappointing result. I immediately ear mark them as shit-for-brained cretins and ignore any future insight they have on any subject. I don't mind questions being asked and some reflection but if you're immediate response is to suggest we get rid or worse abuse the manager then fuck them to the moon and back.
So many of these folk that could be replaced with proper fans who’ll support our team.

I just don't get the criticism he's had for apparently not being "passionate enough" on the touchline when things aren't going particularly well for us.
For what it's worth I want a manager with a cool analytical head when we're under pressure and not kicking water bottles about but when we do something fantastic there's no denying Gerrards passion.
A bit like Walter Smith indeed!
He'll do for me!

Same people that rate players because of how much they run around like a fucking headless fucking chicken.

We had Pedro who was a maniac, I know what I would much rather have.

Am I right in saying the team got booed off the park at half time?

Some said it was for the ref, but I don't think it was. I posted about it at the time too. Had to give my ticket to my pal as I was 'working' though, so can't say much more.

tenor.gif

"

He's perfectly entitled, I think. It's a very mild response to what was probably not constructive or polite criticism.

It honestly amazes me when fans hurl incredible amounts of abuse at the players and staff and clutch their handbags when the players even raise a finger to their lips.
I agree but I also think the criticism of what is a tiny minority in a 50 k ground can be over the top too. Folk that leave at 2 nil or who abuse our manager deserve contempt not just criticism but the way it’s said gives the impression of a wider problem that just isn’t there.

Just about every fan will moan in frustration when things go wrong. He knows that happens so he’s really criticising probably about 500 people who either left or were abusive.

I know lots of folk say there were lots of people leaving near them but, if so, how come the stadium was pretty much full when the free kick in?

We have some zoomers and the atmosphere isn’t what it should be at times but that’s the case everywhere and was certainly the case whe he was at Liverpool. I don’t think we should beat ourselves up too much.

Im surprised more hasn’t been made of what he said .

He slams the fans behind the dugout and said “ maybe they left at 2 nil because of the weather , or the drive home , I don’t know , but we heard them “ .

Hes a bit cheeky at times and a little sarcastic like most scousers.... but hes an honest guy i think he had a right to have a wee dig back thats all it is a wee dig, remember at times we pissed Walter off too, there probably isnt a Rangers manager thats not been thinking ffs gee us a break. We demand success it can be tough out there when things are not going to plan even against pretty good euro opposition.

Look at the results hes given us though no wonder hes a little annoyed. We looked out of that tie completely yet came back to win that says a lot about Gerrard and his squad.

I love him i think hes absolutely superb and il say same if we get knocked out and dont win anything this season, hes been brilliant for Rangers.

Mirror image of Walter surely. Walter ruled domestically but ultimately failed in Europe. SO far SG has had the reverse.

Nah. SG will have us back on top at home too soon

There is some in our support who will never be pleased. After everything we have endured and the sickening lows we have suffered I dont understand it.

We have came from playing in the lower leagues of Scottish Football and having to suffer footballers who should never have been allowed near the club and would never have made it near the club if circumstances didnt dictate.

Some people need to start appreciating Steven Gerrard and what he is trying to do. The last month or so has been disappointing but we are still moving in the right direction I believe.

In Gerrard we have a man who will not give up untill he has achieved what he has set out to do, and even then he still wont stop trying to better this team.
I think this is a very fair assessment. He is by far the best manager we have had for years and, although not perfect, if he left I don't think we could attract anyone of his calibre very easily.

Nobody round me left at 2-0 although a guy who doesn't usually sit near us left just after Aribo scored saying it was going to get ruled out by VAR

Justified too, the criticism he's received is disgusting, a sizeable chunk of the support forget how far Gerrard has improved us in the space of 18 months. From a bush in Luxembourg to a credible chance of reaching the last 16 of a European competition. Yes the past few weeks have been gut wrenching but we've had imbeciles comparing him to Warburton ffs. No wonder he's taking pot shots back at them.
Loves us when we are behind the team, doesn’t like personal jibes against him... I’m all “pay your money, have your say” type ... love stevie and what he’s brought to us but at same time he can’t have a dig at us because we’ve no been chuffed since the winter break

He shouldn’t be having wee sly digs at the fans, that’s not on to be fair.

Of course we want every supporter to stay and support the team and get behind them, however frustrated Gerrard is, he can’t criticise the fans, not a f.uckin chance, there will only be one winner.

100% support for SG in his comments. We have a generation of a support that cannot handle this period
Me as an older generation is 100% behind what SG is doing and has done ... but as any Rangers manager would say “the buck stops with me” so take it and get on with it ... honeymoon period is long gone.... this older bear wants silverware

going by his press conference after the game, it looked to be a wee dig back at the fans behind him to be fair

I've never left early but I've stayed behind in order to let them know what I've thought of them. It's football but I'm older now and try not to be as hard on them nowadays. As long as I've supported Rangers we have been sore on the players and management when things aren't going well. It doesn't help at all but good, mentally strong players can deal with it. The problem is we never have 11 of them on the pitch at the time.

Me as an older generation is 100% behind what SG is doing and has done ... but as any Rangers manager would say “the buck stops with me” so take it and get on with it ... honeymoon period is long gone.... this older bear wants silverware
We all want silverware mate, but that craving has to be tempered with a dose of realism as well. Setting aside where we were a few short years ago, don't underestimate how hamstrung we are financially right now. Even when we eventually are rid of Ashley, it could be years after that before we are on a level playing field with the scum. Where we are right now is nothing short of miraculous if you take everything into consideration.

It’s fairly obvious the attitude of the crowd at Ibrox piss off the backroom staff. The leaving early and I’ve paid my way I’ll do what I want types piss me off as is but I actually never considered the mongos that are no doubt screaming their pish behind the dugout week in week out and I’m absolutely itching for Gerrard and the backroom staff to call this out explicitly as the hints and tips aren’t working. He has gave another hint, it’s time for the “support” to self police and stop allowing negativity to run riot in the stands otherwise you can sit and scream and greet all you like but the players won’t want to play for us and I honestly don’t fucking blame them with the attitude. Just because it was bouncing the other night doesn’t mean anything.

He gets it, and clearly care about the club. He might still be prone to the occasion error as he learns his trade, and there's no guarantee he'll bring us success, however you have to love the gaffer's attitude.

My Uncle who is 79 sits behind the dugout has done for 30 seasons now same seat and said last night wasn’t unusual there’s one guy who literally shouts “ Kamara you’re a fucking arsehole “ every single game , he’s too old to get involved but a few have told him to shut up and sit down to no avail . We all know these type of “ fans “ and it isn’t just Rangers who have them .
Angry little man syndrome. Their lives are probably so empty and meaningless they get their kicks out of abusing people who can't answer back.
Signed,
Dr Freud ;)

Why doesn’t the fans get behind the team and Manager ffs no matter what and let’s support them the job SG has done in a short space of time is remarkable.
There have always been those who like to moan at the team for as far back as I can remember. In the 70s their presence kicked off a fair few rumbles on the terraces. I think its become more noticeable though since all seated stadiums were introduced and the sanitization of football began in the 80s. As the laws for mis-behaviour got more draconian, less fowk wanted to get involved so these people became a law unto themselves. It goes beyond 'you pay your money so your entitled to your opinion' These folk seem to get some perverse enjoyment of out being miserable for 90 minutes and inflicting it on everyone else. They should do everyone a favour and stop going to the games and do something meaningful with their lives instead.

Last edited:
It’s about time the club said more about the fans who suck the energy out the team by moaning or leaving early. Imgetbthatbthey put money in with their ticket purchase and can choose how to be at the ground but they do a lot to,flatten the atmosphere.

‘I think the subway loyal has been a bone of contention for a lot of folks a long time. Stay for 90 minutes unless you have a genuine reason to leave early. The buses and trains all still run when busy, you will get out the car park and home ok.

Rangers crowd can intimidate opponents, stay and contribute to the noise. The crowd can also intimidate our own team and rather than berate the players get behind them.

we have an iconic figure managing our team and week in week out he is asking for the team to be appreciated more and given support. Gerrard is loving his time at Rangers and what a guy to be singing the clubs praises ongoing

Imagine a boxer lying down because he had lost the first 6 rounds of a 12 round fight, that's what these diddies did by leaving. FFS support our team, we have just come back from a terrible journey that could have been our total demise. I don't get this shit at all I payed my money I can leave when Iike .

There is some in our support who will never be pleased. After everything we have endured and the sickening lows we have suffered I dont understand it.

We have came from playing in the lower leagues of Scottish Football and having to suffer footballers who should never have been allowed near the club and would never have made it near the club if circumstances didnt dictate.

Some people need to start appreciating Steven Gerrard and what he is trying to do. The last month or so has been disappointing but we are still moving in the right direction I believe.

In Gerrard we have a man who will not give up untill he has achieved what he has set out to do, and even then he still wont stop trying to better this team.

Steven Gerrard wasn’t here when we went through everything we have. I love Gerrard but he will never fully understand what we’ve been through. We lived it, we suffered it and it’s still having an effect on us now. Gerrard needs to lay off the wee digs and get his team to do the talking on the park.

Out of any group of 50,000 people, at any event, you’re going to get a 5% minimum arsehole contingent. Same at gigs. Fact of life IMO - I thought the vast majority were great on Thursday night.

Never gave much thought before to those behind the dugout giving the bench pelters. We all know there will be a few who are never happy regardless, if Gerrard's last celebration was aimed at them for leaving early or comments they made then good on him tbh. Fans are always happy to give it out but don't take it back very well.

What do they pay "there" money for? To support the team or get on the backs of players and coaching staff? It's when the going gets tough that we need to stick together, not throw the toys out of the pram. The vast majority, thankfully, managed to get behind the team last night (probably had enough intelligence to see we were up against a very good side, but were still making a go of it), rather than thinking we have a divine right to steamroller teams. No problem with Gerrard calling out the clowns who left early.

It's a bizarre attitude. I've paid £40, that means I'm allowed to sit tight behind the dugout, spout bile at the management team where they can hear me, storm off to the pub when we're 2-0 down to a bloody good European side. They deserved to miss that comeback.

Back