Steward at exit of bf1 idiotic decision making

gorbalsbear

Official Ticketer
Young boy got separated from his family leaving the stadium, family was inside looking for boy, boy had walked out exit thinking family were with him, when he realised they were still in stadium he tried to go get them, female steward stops him saying he can't re enter the stadium, he explained the situation and she says under no circumstances will he get back in, she was willing to leave a child outside a stadium lost from his family, do people not have common sense anymore.

Young boy got separated from his family leaving the stadium, family was inside looking for boy, boy had walked out exit thinking family were with him, when he realised they were still in stadium he tried to go get them, female steward stops him saying he can't re enter the stadium, he explained the situation and she says under no circumstances will he get back in, she was willing to leave a child outside a stadium lost from his family, do people not have common sense anymore.
Got there in the end and on reflection I agree with you. Fűck me but that's some sentence mate.

I was actually pissed off from what I saw today.

A charity game and we have in excess of 20 stewards standing at the corner of BF1 doing nothing. Not that that’s their fault as there was nothing for them to do. The point is why are they even there in the first place, it’s a charity game for ffs.

Why do we waste money on stewards that aren’t needed? Money down the drain.

Of course if the boy had been allowed in and got knocked over by the folk leaving it would have been the stewards fault.
The stadium was almost empty but if you want to use that scenario the steward should have took it upon herself to help the child, part of the job is to look after the crowd In a safe environment, she was willing to leave a child outside on his own.

The stadium was almost empty but if you want to use that scenario the steward should have took it upon herself to help the child, part of the job is to look after the crowd In a safe environment, she was willing to leave a child outside on his own.
Exactly

Without knowing the full story, it may be better for the child to stay at the exit next to the steward. the steward would have to stay at the exit until the stadium is clear.

No blame at the parents for losing their kid ?

Some stewards are fuukin morons.

Weed the fuukers out. Tools.

Without knowing the full story, it may be better for the child to stay at the exit next to the steward. the steward would have to stay at the exit until the stadium is clear.

Without knowing the full story, it doesn't sound like the steward offered to keep the child with them. Just that they prevented them re-entering the stadium.

Taking the child into their care and getting someone to radio/check if anyone inside was looking for a missing a child was the sensible and responsible thing to do. Which is what the OP said he did because the steward was no help.

Why is everyone blaming the steward? It’s obvious that’s the instruction they are given and to defy it would most likely see them sacked. The gripe should be with the people in power giving them these instructions.

A charity game and we have in excess of 20 stewards standing at the corner of BF1 doing nothing. Not that that’s their fault as there was nothing for them to do. The point is why are they even there in the first place, it’s a charity game for ffs.

Do you know the Stewards primary role?,

in the event of an emergency you just might be grateful they are there.

She was busy mate.
Looking for someone to shop for a song or staggering out or something. Gie her a break.

Them the rules mate so many stewards per fans ratio

Why is everyone blaming the steward? It’s obvious that’s the instruction they are given and to defy it would most likely see them sacked. The gripe should be with the people in power giving them these instructions.
I'd like to think if I was forced to choose between putting a child in danger and saving my job I'd choose the welfare of the child
Cannot be sure until faced with the situation of course but I think of the worst case scenarios the two options provide living with the consequences of losing a job would be easier

I'd like to think if I was forced to choose between putting a child in danger and saving my job I'd choose the welfare of the child
Cannot be sure until faced with the situation of course but I think of the worst case scenarios the two options provide living with the consequences of losing a job would be easier
Agreed. But was the child in any danger, really? Waiting at the gate. For what it’s worth I’d do the same as you but sometimes u have to look at both sides

Not sure if you're being serious. Have you never been at a game and got split up from your mates, family?

Of course if the boy had been allowed in and got knocked over by the folk leaving it would have been the stewards fault.
Or if the steward actually did their job and helped a lost child find their parents it wouldn’t be an issue ffs

20 stewards, £10/hr, 3 hrs, £600 all in. Not really the end of the world.

Plus, there are probably regulations about the ratio between fans and stewards.

Or if the steward actually did their job and helped a lost child find their parents it wouldn’t be an issue ffs
Sorry, but that isnt their job and I think you must know that.

Common sense would've said, stay here with me, shout over a supervisor and itd be radioed across the stadium who he is and where he was.

You need to have a touch of discretion in circumstances like this.
Common sense should take over.

Safest resolution would have been for the steward to tell the boy to stay put with her and get a tannoy announcement out so the parents know where the kid is.
Don't think a boy wandering about an emptying Ibrox trying to find his parents, who could also have exited the stadium, is the safest thing.
Given the op said he made sure the boy got back to his folks, I'd guess the steward did not, I think she needs to be reported.
If it's not a stewards job to ensure the well being of everyone in the ground (including lost kids) then whose is it?

Safest resolution would have been for the steward to tell the boy to stay put with her and get a tannoy announcement out so the parents know where the kid is.
Don't think a boy wandering about an emptying Ibrox trying to find his parents, who could also have exited the stadium, is the safest thing.
That is 100 % how it should work, the steward would also have a 2nd steward come to him so that the child is never left alone with a single adult

That is 100 % how it should work, the steward would also have a 2nd steward come to him so that the child is never left alone with a single adult
Agreed mate. Sounds like a total idiot.
Thankfully we have good folk in our support like the op that wouldn't just leave a kid but would stay until the parents are found.
Steward should be reported (edited my first post to say that).

A lot of the stewards tend to be agency staff, who are maybe working multiple jobs a day across various sites, getting paid minimum wage and no travel costs. Its not a role that attracts a high calibre of individual (no offence intended to anyone in this role), I dont know what people expect from them.

In this situation, I would expect them to tell the kid to stay with her, to the side. Few details missing, like how old is the kid, how many were in the family, where were they looking for him, family not split up and someone go outside to the gate or approach another steward inside to report a missing kid?!?

A lot of the stewards tend to be agency staff, who are maybe working multiple jobs a day across various sites, getting paid minimum wage and no travel costs. Its not a role that attracts a high calibre of individual (no offence intended to anyone in this role), I dont know what people expect from them.

In this situation, I would expect them to tell the kid to stay with her, to the side. Few details missing, like how old is the kid, how many were in the family, where were they looking for him, family not split up and someone go outside to the gate or approach another steward inside to report a missing kid?!?

Just what I was thinking, what age was this "young boy" and what kind of state was he in. Was he a 6 year old running about frantic or a 13 year old asking a steward if he could get back in to look for his family.

I’m sure they would have just phoned each other, panic over ! Seriously though a bit of common sense from the steward Should have been in order.

Do you know the Stewards primary role?,

in the event of an emergency you just might be grateful they are there.

I know a few people who have done that job, most of them have no clue what they are doing and are just told to stand somewhere. If there was a genuine emergency I doubt the minimum wage stewards who are not even told what to do properly would be rushing to save people.

It's not really their fault either, they have probably been forced into a zero hour contract from the job centre. I would prefer we had Rangers stewards who were supporters of the club and actually cared.

Had a run in with one a few seasons back, but as we know, we have some complete and utter arseholes in many parts of the ground that love their wee bit of authority, because their lives outside the wee yellow jacket they wear on match days so mundane. So sad in so many ways.........

I know a few folk who have recently started work as football stewards, mainly working at smaller grounds. All of them are virtually unemployable. I'm assuming stewards are much alike throughout the country.

I don't know the entire remit of the Steward's job but if they followed it, you can't really complain.

I know a few people who have done that job, most of them have no clue what they are doing and are just told to stand somewhere. If there was a genuine emergency I doubt the minimum wage stewards who are not even told what to do properly would be rushing to save people.

It's not really their fault either, they have probably been forced into a zero hour contract from the job centre. I would prefer we had Rangers stewards who were supporters of the club and actually cared.

Unless something has changed, the Stewards are provided by Garrion Security, a company wholly owned by Rangers. Obviously we have no idea which club they support but I’m not sure it would make a huge difference in any case. At the end of the day, it’s minimum wage, minimum training work.

take her jacket number and report it.

My brother in law worked at the chamber of secrets as a segregation steward, got reported anonymously by a fan for texting while on the job, (the fan had done the above) and got pulled up for it and given a verbal warning.

Yep, she should have exercised some initiative/responsibility !

Mental lack of common sense

health and safety gone mad

Back