Stewart Gilmour: Hearts should leave the spfl if they cant accept relegation

uneasydaz

ANN Budge’s threat to take legal action against the SPFL if Hearts are relegated from the Ladbrokes Premiership before the 2019/20 season is completed was last night branded “absolute nonsense” by one former top flight board member.

And the owner of the Tynecastle club, who were four points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership when football was suspended on March 13 due to the coronavirus pandemic, has been told to abide by the governing body’s decisions or leave the league.

Budge, who has asked staff and players to take a 50 per cent pay cut in order to avoid a financial meltdown, is unhappy at the prospect of the league placings when the shutdown was brought in deciding which team goes down.

Asked by Sky Sports earlier this month if she would consider taking legal action if Hearts are relegated, she said: “Yes, I would have to because I fundamentally disagree with it.”

However, Stewart Gilmour, the former St Mirren chairman who served on the old SPL board during his time at the Paisley club, is vehemently opposed to involving lawyers in football matters and believes the bottom-placed Premiership side must accept their fate.

“The thought of Hearts taking legal action is interesting,” he said. “This is a league that you are invited to join away at the beginning. Clubs taking legal action just shouldn’t be allowed. If you don’t want to go by the league rules or what the league decides that’s fine, go and play in another league.

“Legal action is what’s caused the problems in the disciplinary system with the compliance officer. It’s not about football any more, it’s about legalities. It was set up originally to keep legalities out of football so that football made its decisions about football and football kept the legal process out of football.

“Now everybody turns up at these things with a lawyer. It becomes a legal case. It has made a real farce of the disciplinary system. We are getting legal decisions, not football decisions

I was involved when the compliance officer was introduced. At the beginning it worked really well under Vincent Lunny. Vincent was exceptionally well respected by the clubs and players because he questioned officials, he questioned things that happened. They didn’t like that, but it was fair and everyone realised it was fair. It has now become farcical.

“The legalities are what has caused most of the problems. This carry on of Hearts threatening to take legal action for me is just nonsense, absolute nonsense. If you don’t want to abide by what the league decides and the league rules then go and play somewhere else, go and find another league.”

Gilmour, who handed control of St Mirren to Gordon Scott and the St Mirren Independent Supporters Association back in 2016, admitted it would be cruel if Hearts, who still have eight games to play, are relegated by an SPFL decision.

But the former businessman, who is still a season ticket holder at the Simple Digital Arena, feels if the Covid-19 outbreak prevents the 2019/20 league season being played to a finish then the Tynecastle club should go down.

“It is a very difficult decision for the directors of the SPFL to make, what happens at the end of the season,” he said. “It would certainly be harsh (if Hearts were relegated), but we are in uncharted territory at the moment.

“It’s not as if we’ve played six games, or eight games. We have played 30 games. We have played 30 of 38 games. That is a huge amount. There is only 20 per cent of the games to go. After 30 games they have got the poorest record. If the league doesn’t finish they are the team that should be relegated, as simple as that.”

Is every mentally challenged in Scotland missing the fact that We still have games to play and anything can happen if there was such a gap then i could understand a team being giving the league and team being relegated but it's too close to call and anything can happen.

This is the same arsehole who after leaving st mirren said liewell has too much power in scottish fitba , didnt have the guts to say it while he was in charge at st mirren guy seems like a bit of a prick to me

I’ve said it elsewhere in another thread but at what point is the cut-off for number of games played to justify settling on current standings? He is saying 29-30 games is acceptable. Would 25 be acceptable? What about 28?

The season is 38 games long for a reason. You don’t win the league or get relegated from it until it is mathematically impossible for another outcome within that 38 games.

With regards to the mentally challengeds, if we were only half way through the season and they were ahead on goal difference, they would still be demanding the title. They are shameless bastards.

Like he has no agenda here.

In in mind everyone should just do as the league tells them to and not challenge ridiculous decisions being made by those in charge. How dare we question the masterminds at the top of the SPL???

I bet if St Mirren were bottom and could still potentially stay up, his comments would not be the same.

I detect lube, plenty of lube for when a decision is 'forced' upon Scottish football...A decision that is being manipulated by those who want something they ain't won.

Another one doing Celtics bidding for them and without mentioning the title at all.
Like all sleekit mhanky crooks the real villains never get their hands dirty but get others to do it on their behalf.
The number that have been wheeled out in the last few days suggests that they are, in fact, worried that it may not go their way.
Is it possible Hearts have told Liewell that they won't do any sort of under the table deal?

“The thought of Hearts taking legal action is interesting,” he said. “This is a league that you are invited to join away at the beginning. Clubs taking legal action just shouldn’t be allowed. If you don’t want to go by the league rules or what the league decides that’s fine, go and play in another league.

What a shite argument. If you want your league to be beyond reproach you do things right, and relegating a team when they haven't finished the games (or awarding a club a title), it is wrong.

Remember this is the man that let his stadium be rebranded for a game against the beggars.

SAINTS-CELTIC.jpg

What a shite argument. If you want your league to be beyond reproach you do things right, and relegating a team when they haven't finished the games (or awarding a club a title), it is wrong.

Remember this is the man that let his stadium be rebranded for a game against the beggars.

SAINTS-CELTIC.jpg
Who? Do you think he might be compromised?

Like he has no agenda here.

In in mind everyone should just do as the league tells them to and not challenge ridiculous decisions being made by those in charge. How dare we question the masterminds at the top of the SPL???

I bet if St Mirren were bottom and could still potentially stay up, his comments would not be the same.
As would hearts. Clubs will look after themselves and especially the ones in a relegation fight. Its gave them a get out of jail card for free and to be quite honest, they would be barking mad to go against any decision which saves them from the drop.

Isn’t he the guy that said the law’s an ass to reporters when we won the court case against the illegal transfer imbargo?

I’m sure Stewart will be able to point at what rule in the rule book covers this that we all signed up to.

Oh that’s right they don’t have one and are making it up as they go along.

What a bellend!

St Mirren season ticket holder is not in favour of lawyers getting involved in Scottish football.

Who gives a %^*& what this prick has to say.

The self same prick who issued a statement to say he wouldn't be making a statement.
Also had a fair bit to say about us in 2012

St Mirren folk clearly hard up for cash this weather.

Bunch of rent a gobs for the rhags.

As amusing as it would be to see Hearts relegated I'd sooner they stayed up than his no mark Diddy outfit.

You're not going to keep everyone happy but every team has to fight their own battles here and Ann Budge is well within her rights to do that.

4 points difference with 24 to play for? Anything could happen there and nobody is even mentioning Ross County.

I wonder if this is the paedos new plan of attack. Push that Hearts must accept relegation as then, by definition, the beasts win the league.

As for Gilmour And his F off and play in another league how sweet would it be if the beasts were handed the league and everyone else resigned and left them to it.

Appreciate that would never happen but f me it would be sweet as hell.

Hearts would be getting relegated purely because the SFPL had chosen to remove them from the league.

Gilmour says that being an SPFL club means you should just abide by any decisions the SPFL make: I think member clubs should fight for what's right, whether for the good of the game or individual interests, and not just meekly accept what the SPFL decide.

"We have played 30 of 38 games. That is a huge amount." but those games haven't settled the championship, relegation, European places, etc. so there is no league winner and no team relegated. To award a club the championship or relegate a club is simply to choose who you want to get these things, they haven't been earned.

Back