Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

luckywhitefeather

Am I alone? Do we overate him ? Is he not suited to English (Prem or championship?

Looking at the long line of strikes English clubs have forked out for (and from clubs / countries not that glamourous / high level, I just find it strange that English clubs haven’t taken a (perhaps gamble?) on him,

Has edouard struggling at palace cast a shadow over forward players moving from SPL? Or simply his goal scoring record / perceived behaviour/ bookings in domestic league taking away from his stats in Europa?

It is an odd one tbf, unless we’ve just made it clear he wasn’t for sale/not heard when any club has shown interest

Think it may have worked against him that, following his injury, we reached the EL final and could have won the thing!!
Teams that may have been looking at him before could have thought, (wrongly in my opinion), that he's not that important to the team.

Am I alone? Do we overate him ? Is he not suited to English (Prem or championship?

Looking at the long line of strikes English clubs have forked out for (and from clubs / countries not that glamourous / high level, I just find it strange that English clubs haven’t taken a (perhaps gamble?) on him,

Has edouard struggling at palace cast a shadow over forward players moving from SPL? Or simply his goal scoring record / perceived behaviour/ bookings in domestic league taking away from his stats in Europa?

Agree it's odd. Look at Newcastle signing that carthorse from Burnely in January.

I don't have an explanation really. All I can think of is that something comes on the analytics/sports science side that puts off potential suitors. No idea what that would be. Incredible that only one European club has offered us even close to acceptable money once in 5 seasons.

I would expect a bid from England this summer if he doesn't sign a new deal.

It took 2 years of working under Gerrard for Morelos to mature his game. Following that COVID had an impact on finances at the clubs that would likely have taken a punt on him.

A factor often overlooked is his lack of pace. It's just my opinion, but teams in England all look for pace in the final third.

Agree it's odd. Look at Newcastle signing that carthorse from Burnely in January.

I don't have an explanation really. All I can think of is that something comes on the analytics/sports science side that puts off potential suitors. No idea what that would be. Incredible that only one European club has offered us even close to acceptable money once in 5 seasons.
Newcastle have had a terrible record of signing strikers and that one (Chris wood) did make me wonder at the time but it actually worked out really well for them and also helped relegate Burnley / get dyche the sack so tactical purchase

I don't think he is as highly rated as we think.

11 goals last season in the league will be enough for them to ignorantly assume he wouldn’t get close to double figures in a better league.

As valuable as Morelos is to us, Colombia have 3/4 better strikers never mind if you almost have access to the entire market due to TV cash.

Too many options who play at a better level or have more potential.

The Athletic article last week about scouting probably explains this is a bit.

Alfie is an absolute hero to us but people outside the club with no emotional attachment could find reasons not to bite.

He's never really done the business across a full season and has had discipline issues on and off the park.

He just isn't as highly rated as we think, although a great player for us.

Leaving aside the fact he is injured I would have thought over his tenure here he would have attracted interest from mid-table and below EPL sides.
I personally think Spain or Europe would suit him better but I am surprised in overall terms he’s still here.
He is 100% worth a gamble whatever perceived issues he has

I look at our team and it’s full of players who could do a far better job than players who’ve went for ridiculous money. Delli to Everton for a potential 40 million plus ridiculous wages or a Joe Aribo, EL Final goal scorer, Nigerian international for 20 million and half the wages? These teams really deserve all they get tbh. You really don’t need brilliant scouting to spot a guy like Joe, Glen Kamara or Ryan Kent - they’re playing at a level well above most premiership teams most weeks when playing in Europe.

Long may teams continue to overlook him :shh:
If he doesn’t sign an contract extension, then he can sign a pre contact with someone else in January. Would be criminal if this was the case. But unfortunately players and there agents hold all the cards when it gets to the last 12 months. A situation that a lot of us will be anxious about.!

Think his international stats and disciplinary record are preventing an epl side coming in for him IMO.

You really don’t need brilliant scouting to spot a guy like Joe, Glen Kamara or Ryan Kent - they’re playing at a level well above most premiership teams most weeks when playing in Europe.
The athletic article mentioned above sets out that the Europa league isn’t that highly rated by scouts down south, one of them is quoted as saying his view of Kent won’t be changed by the euro run.

Living down south, anytime you mention him, even now. People just go straight to...aye but he's a hothead, liability. Always getting sent off. The media up here done their job in painting a picture of who they wanted him to be and it has stuck.

Should we complain though, if it means we get to retain him for longer?

Not consistent enough would be my guess.

Tremendous in Europe but can be meh numbers wise domestically but they won’t realise how important he is even when not scoring.

Modern age is all about numbers and stats Alfie’s just aren’t as good as they should be.

That said I’m glad their not coming in.

Leaving aside the fact he is injured I would have thought over his tenure here he would have attracted interest from mid-table and below EPL sides.
I personally think Spain or Europe would suit him better but I am surprised in overall terms he’s still here.
He is 100% worth a gamble whatever perceived issues he has
I think he suffers from being a little bit of an enigma. His general game is the absolute perfect fit for a bottom half EPL side. His hold up play and ability to compete physically with defenders are exactly what you need when you are playing with little of the ball and rely desperately on an attacking player being able to hold on to the damn thing for a second and let the midfield get out. Him holding it up, running channels and pulling defences about would be ideal but I think the fact his finishing can be hit and miss is a major drawback to that, particularly for clubs who by definition do not create too many chances as they need a high strike rate.

Alfie is an absolute hero to us but people outside the club with no emotional attachment could find reasons not to bite.

He's never really done the business across a full season and has had discipline issues on and off the park.

Hard to take the Rangers googles off but this is probably the core of it.

Living down south, anytime you mention him, even now. People just go straight to...aye but he's a hothead, liability. Always getting sent off. The media up here done their job in painting a picture of who they wanted him to be and it has stuck.

There is not a professional scout on the planet who deals with EPL lever players that will base any part of his scouting, at all, on the Daily Record.

I think there’s a big misconception down south that he’s a hothead who lacks pace. They haven’t seen the growth we’ve seen in him, particularly in the last couple of seasons where his athleticism is levels above where it was; where he’s showing consistent discipline and his hold-up/teamwork play.

Long way to go before transfer window closes (September 1st)
Some clubs might come for him if their first targets fall through

Del, Smiley, Chester and the trumpet (is this a Monty Python sketch?) will be along to tell us shortly.

Ahhh feck it, I’ll just do the work for them.
  • Because he balloons up like John Goodman every summer.
  • Because he goes through spells where he’s pitiful/abysmal/dreadful and horrendous each year.
  • Because his discipline is poor and he’s had many suspensions.
  • Because he scores goals that are “unconvincing” (this is when you score but the keeper either gets a touch or the ball doesn’t go right in the corner in which case it doesn’t count as much).
  • Because he’s patriotic and wants to play for his country
  • Because he’s work shy and will audaciously take a weeks holiday at the end of a long league season and international tournament instead of just coming straight back to training to meet his teammates who’ve just had about 6 weeks off.

That probably covers it. In fact now that I’ve said all that, why don’t we just sack him?

Last edited:

I'll congratulate and thank every last stinking journalist in this country who's had it in for him if they have, in their own wee f*cked up way, contributed to him staying.

You look at every season he has had at us and he goes long gaps where he does not score, scouts and managers, notice that.
I think most managers and scouts are looking for more athletic players with pace to burn.
Our time to sell was two seasons ago when he was at his best.

If he was as good as most supporters thought he would have been away 20 million is nothing for the English leagues.

Can't fathom how people can talk themselves into thinking English sides wouldn't look at someone scoring in the Europa League when Southampton signed Adam Armstrong for 20 million TBH.

Thought The Atheltic article read like complete p*sh with contradictory nonsense based on real events

Leeds are going to have money to burn soon and are desperately needing new strikers.

Negative slant from media.

He was refereed and treated differently, because SPL couldn't handle him and he had to adjust his game. His cards and suspensions didnt help but how was treated was pathetic in this backwater.

Not winning trophies.

Del, Smiley, Chester and the trumpet (is this a Monty Python sketch?) will be along to tell us shortly.

Ahhh feck it, I’ll just do the work for them.
  • Because he balloons up like John Goodman every summer.
  • Because he goes through spells where he’s pitiful/abysmal/dreadful and horrendous each year.
  • Because his discipline is poor and he’s had many suspensions.
  • Because he scores goals that are “unconvincing” (this is when you score but the keeper either gets a touch or the ball doesn’t go right in the corner in which case it doesn’t count as much).
  • Because he’s patriotic and wants to play for his country
  • Because he’s work shy and will audaciously take a weeks holiday at the end of a long league season and international tournament instead of just coming straight back to training to meet his teammates who’ve just had about 6 weeks off.

That probably covers it. In fact now that I’ve said all that, why don’t we just sack him?
“Unconvincing” goals is my new favourite football bullshit

His last red card was in 19/20
10 yellows in 20/21 in all comps,
Same this season.

His “disciplinary issues” are wildy over inflated and the trial by media was responsible for a large number of his “issues” in previous seasons. Such as his sending off V Motherwell.

How do you define doing the business over a full season? I would say finishing the top scorer in the league is exactly that.

“Unconvincing” goals is my new favourite football bullshit
Mental eh! But yeah someone (I won’t name names, for any less than a fiver), rather than giving it “yeeeeeeeeeeessss goal” like normal fans, gave it “unconvincing finish, but I’ll take it”.

Can’t remember who the goal was against now. @Main Stand might remember because we had a right laugh at it.

Totally agree , but I also say the same for other. Ie look at tav’s stats as a right back, only what 29/30 but yet no one taking a punt on him. (English teams are throwing silly money around on guff).

For me , Goldson, Morelos and aribo the others that stick out. (Kamara not so much for me these days), but 15 which is a lot to us is nothing for them and worth a gamble (that’s how they will see it)

His last red card was in 19/20
10 yellows in 20/21 in all comps,
Same this season.

His “disciplinary issues” are wildy over inflated and the trial by media was responsible for a large number of his “issues” in previous seasons. Such as his sending off V Motherwell.

How do you define doing the business over a full season? I would say finishing the top scorer in the league is exactly that.
On a serious note, I definitely think discipline plays a part, rightly or wrongly. I say wrongly because he’s had some absolute horrendous treatment in this country - from farcical red cards to being booked for diving and labelled a cheat after being cleaned out by opposition goalkeepers.

Mental eh! But yeah someone (I won’t name names, for any less than a fiver), rather than giving it “yeeeeeeeeeeessss goal” like normal fans, gave it “unconvincing finish, but I’ll take it”.

Can’t remember who the goal was against now. @Main Stand might remember because we had a right laugh at it.
Alashkert, perhaps.

Think it was because he drilled it through the keepers legs and took a nick on the way through them.

Back