Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

I'd assume there is interest in a number of our players. Not everything reaches the papers straight away.

No easy answer to this question

Because on one hand, the Morelos after Gio arrived was by and large superb and unplayable at times. We witnessed that form in the first half of 2019. On that form you’d think he’d walk into most EPL teams in the bottom half, or worst case their squad.

But the flip side of that is his form before Gio arrived was unbelievably bad where he wouldn’t get a sniff of any EPL team.

I’m not convinced his discipline record is the reason now as it’s been fairly decent for a couple of years now.

His domestic league goals record isn’t that great but his record in Europe is fairly decent, especially against decent teams.

My own personal opinion is that teams just don’t think he’s consistent enough or scored enough goals domestically.

Totally agree , but I also say the same for other. Ie look at tav’s stats as a right back, only what 29/30 but yet no one taking a punt on him. (English teams are throwing silly money around on guff).

For me , Goldson, Morelos and aribo the others that stick out. (Kamara not so much for me these days), but 15 which is a lot to us is nothing for them and worth a gamble (that’s how they will see it)
Tavernier has never stated he was interested in leaving Rangers.

They will not only scout him but do a character reference check on him. Who is to say that when doing these it’s came back that Alfie isn’t keen on the EPL and wants a move to Spain etc and they’ve not bothered due to it.

Also English clubs are waiting for the dominoes to fall, once City, Utd etc start buying the likes of Phillips the smaller clubs will start spending.

I've always believed him to be overrated on here. He's done his bit and had spells of very good form but I've never viewed him as a player who is way better than the rest of our team, the hyperbole is off the scale sometimes. Could still earn a decent move but not the kind many on here have mooted him for for years.

Broja is away for 20 mil in the prem.

Decent striker, works hard, but tbh, couldn't lace Morelos' boots.
Newcastle paid £25m for Chris Wood, a guy who’s name aptly describes his mobility.

No way is what Wood did at Burnley more impressive than what Morelos has done in Europe. I know we maybe overrate the Europa a tad, but it’s still a very respectable level of football and scoring in it regularly is no mean feat, particularly for a striker who doesn’t take penalties.

Agree it's odd. Look at Newcastle signing that carthorse from Burnely in January.

I don't have an explanation really. All I can think of is that something comes on the analytics/sports science side that puts off potential suitors. No idea what that would be. Incredible that only one European club has offered us even close to acceptable money once in 5 seasons.
Genuinely, not being a dick, but the fact he is sometimes seen to be carrying a bit extra weight could go against him tbf

The athletic article mentioned above sets out that the Europa league isn’t that highly rated by scouts down south, one of them is quoted as saying his view of Kent won’t be changed by the euro run.
Ive never read it and can understand it is popular and was probably quite well written but i am not so sure this article wasnt just made up shite and that no scouts were interviewed.

They dont read too much into performances in Scotland by our players.
Or in europe as its not the CL.
And anyway even the teams Rangers beat in europe come from a crap league an aww.

It sounds like a bitter call to radio clyde on the days after Rangers have made it to the final.

Don't know why people are getting their panties in a bunch. It's June, FFS, very little business gets done before mid July.

It's a win/win for me. If he goes, it ought to be for £20m plus. If he stays, superb.

Tavernier has never stated he was interested in leaving Rangers.
Agree but don’t that counts for much . We had losses of say 100m, and a business model that was suppose to offload players when value was at its peak. We haven’t done that as yet. Paterson for me was a surprise as he had hardly first team football. Perhaps not a surprise when you seen the mess of Everton

His last red card was in 19/20
10 yellows in 20/21 in all comps,
Same this season.

His “disciplinary issues” are wildy over inflated and the trial by media was responsible for a large number of his “issues” in previous seasons. Such as his sending off V Motherwell.

How do you define doing the business over a full season? I would say finishing the top scorer in the league is exactly that.
I thought this would happen.

I hope Morelos stays and signs a new contract. The OP was wondering why English clubs have never come with bids, I suggested some potential reasons if we were to take the Rangers tinted specs off.

I don't have the stats but in each of his 5 seasons he's had poor periods, usually before or after Xmas.

Tbh I find the Morelos debates a bit exhausting on here, it's sacrilege to criticise him to some people but I reiterate I like him and hope he stays.

Newcastle paid £25m for Chris Wood, a guy who’s name aptly describes his mobility.

No way is what Wood did at Burnley more impressive than what Morelos has done in Europe. I know we maybe overrate the Europa a tad, but it’s still a very respectable level of football and scoring in it regularly is no mean feat, particularly for a striker who doesn’t take penalties.
Morelos when on it, is miles ahead of Wood who is an utter carthorse

But the EPL is a bubble where very average players go for silly money in desperate times

Morelos when on it, is miles ahead of Wood who is an utter carthorse

But the EPL is a bubble where very average players go for silly money in desperate times
It’s true, you could make a lengthy list of utter average players who’ve transferred within that league for hundreds of millions and never really shown any serious quality.

I think we have an emotional connection as the club do. He is worth more to us than maybe teams are willing to offer. With that being said maybe we have priced him out the market.
Hopefully he signs a new deal, he’s a hell of a player to try and replace

I agree.
Fredo is a top goalscorer.

Likewise with Tav.
His numbers are incredible.

I think Tavs career has taken off to a level which he probably didn't think himself, the size and expectations of Rangers.

He knows how big the club are, as do the clubs in Europe who have visited Ibrox in the past few seasons and moreso last season.

Anyone with a footballing ambition will stay with Rangers, regardless of money.

Im sure we will be a predominant club again in Europe next season.

Where is Alfie getting that if he leaves?

It's weird when you consider even lower half of the EPL teams were buying shite strikers for mental money.
He would absolutely tear up the championship. It's very odd. He would cope very easily in middle to lower end of La liga as well.

He's not a clinical finisher and I suspect his shots to goals ratio is not good at the elite level but he would do a great job taking pressure off defences on teams below that level and score a few.

The athletic article mentioned above sets out that the Europa league isn’t that highly rated by scouts down south, one of them is quoted as saying his view of Kent won’t be changed by the euro run.
Then why the %^*& do the buy players from Celtic that repeatedly get shafted in Europe?? Is it because they are so good in the spl

Living down south, anytime you mention him, even now. People just go straight to...aye but he's a hothead, liability. Always getting sent off. The media up here done their job in painting a picture of who they wanted him to be and it has stuck.

Should we complain though, if it means we get to retain him for longer?
Not in my experience.

Think his international stats and disciplinary record are preventing an epl side coming in for him IMO.

His disciplinary record is fine these days.

If absolute duds like Oli McBurnie can play in the EPL then Morelos could.

Should be scoring way more in the SPL,that’s what top strikers would be doing.As much as I like Alfie,he’s not nearly as prolific as most on here
think.Score more,and the offers will come flooding in.;)

I’ve always thought managers might find him a hot head.. on the pitch.. I mean edouard or Morelos there’s no comparison

There must be a question over his consistency and his application/attitude.

Like others, I find it very surprising that no mid-to-lower EPL side has taken Alfie for 15m. Even European team interest has been limited.

I know Villa have the finances to shop elsewhere but as a back-up striker, he would seem to be ideal. Gerrard knows him (too) well - if he's not coming in for Alfie, it'll say something.

How much money do QPR have?

Then why the %^*& do the buy players from Celtic that repeatedly get shafted in Europe?? Is it because they are so good in the spl
They've had a number of standout players. If you look back at their big sales, most of them have been good value. They got lucky with Edouard though. I don't think we have anyone who will go on to big things in the EPL but Aribo has the most chance of that imo from our current crop.

I like some of Jordan Campbell’s work but you need to take that Athletic article with a pinch of salt. I don’t think anyone with half a brain could read that and really think those ‘quotes‘ were real. His tactical stuff is spot on but his “a source close to the player” scoops are dubious to say the least unless he heavily ad libs them. The language is often straight out of mid 90s tabloids.

With Morelos, I think the level that’s needed is just so high for a striker and English scouts will immediately discount the domestic goals because of the level. Even with blue specs on, I thought Edouard was a really good player, but he looks hopeless down there. Alfie has his Euro form in his favour, plus he’s twice the player off the ball as Edouard, but all the other stuff (discipline, fitness, ‘finesse’ on the ball) are the small margins that make a difference to perceptions.

A fit and healthy Alfie in that EL final in the form he was in earlier in the season would probably have flagged him on more EPL scouts radars.

The fact is that EPL scouts only rate OF games as meaningful in the sense of the level he'd need to be at week in and week out in the prem. His record in OFs isn't that great - so there's part of the answer.

His Europa league record is great however but the reality is prem scouts are total snobs at the Europa league and clearly don't rate its competitiveness. They'll probably sneer at the fact we've made two finals in the past 15 years - which helps our case even less.

I'm glad though - the longer we can keep him the better!

Alfie's " reputation " goes before him, due to the ludicrous red cards he was given up here, cards that wouldn't have been awarded for similar incidents to other SPFL players.

Should be scoring way more in the SPL,that’s what top strikers would be doing.As much as I like Alfie,he’s not nearly as prolific as most on here
think.Score more,and the offers will come flooding in.;)
Yeah I remember when Boyd was free scoring and we had to fend off all those Premier League sides.

11 goals last season in the league will be enough for them to ignorantly assume he wouldn’t get close to double figures in a better league.

As valuable as Morelos is to us, Colombia have 3/4 better strikers never mind if you almost have access to the entire market due to TV cash.

Too many options who play at a better level or have more potential.
Yet, still they gave him an international call-up, not play him, and then he gets injured on the flight home?

Yet, West Ham, who had a good go at the top 4 and comfortably finished top half have used the EL market. I mean, Ryan Kent or Ryan Fraser? Grant Hanley or Connor Goldson? Absolute madness.

He has a reputation, when I was at a business lunch in London the conversation turned to football and the Leeds fan at the table said to me "you have that headcase playing up front for you".

People thinking the europa league is a better level than the epl are kidding themselves on
It’s not better than the top 6, but are Dortmund and Leipzig worse than Newcastle? Frankfurt comfortably beat West Ham. Leicester knocked out in the groups by the mighty Spartak Moscow. That’s the jist of what we’re saying. These teams are picking players from the same league on to ridiculous money, but outside the elite, are these players really that good? Our players could easily compete with all of those teams and in a one off game, anyone on their day.

I'm glad EPL clubs don't seem capable of recognising his abilities
If they don't realise what they're missing- then hopefully we'll keep him for longer

Like some posts above suggest though - he probably is better suited to European team's styles of play
But I could still see him do a job for almost any EPL club

Of course some of the lower EPL clubs won't be capable of giving him much service (or at least less than we do) & wouldn't necessarily get the best out of him

But IMO he''s still streets ahead of many who've already changed hands for mega bucks

The narrative for Alfie has been set by the media here. There has never been a player since gazza that they have been after as much.

I like most have enjoyed the journey watching him since he scored that header against Hibs to now, I hope he stays as he unplayable when he wants to be and under Gio he did looks back to his own self, then we over played him when he got the knock in the cup. The difference he could have made was probably 2 more trophies in the cabinet for us if he hadn’t been injured.

If there is no chance of him renewing then the club really need to move him on I have a felling he will renew.

Back