Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

You could apply that to every one of our players.
A side that just reached the Europa League final, that were 20 minutes from winning it and none of our players are rated at £20m?

I'm not having that.
Where did I say none of our players could be worth 20 million?

Morelos's value was set at 20 million by the board and no one has offered that, that's what I implied.

Alfie-Knee-Slide.gif

Just love his staying put celebration.

Every year we have the same chat about him leaving and still he's here. I think he's going up another level this season under Gio. Wish they'd just hurry up and give him his deal and we can knock threads like this on the head.

I don't disagree with the sentiment of your post in that we clearly will benefit massively from keeping a fit and firing Morelos but I do also think there's a certain naivety from some fans about Morelos motivations. Let's not forget he all but agreed a deal to move to Lille this time two years ago and has expressed his desire to move down South or overseas more than once in various interviews (which BTW I don't blame him for).

He’s probably not worth what we’d demand now he’s older, there’s less potential to buy - he is what he is now which is a good player for most teams, but there’s probably a ceiling to how much better he can get now, and English teams towards the bottom of the table would probably rather invest in someone aged 20-23 who they’d think there’s more resale value in. There’s also a few other issues, namely:

• Would Morelos want to move to a relegation candidate, who’d be more likely to buy him? He’s settled here and guaranteed European football, if these type of clubs were his only option down south he’d probably be better going abroad and playing towards the top of the table.
  • The Championship market has absolutely collapsed the last few years. 5 years ago I’m pretty confident we’d have had a Championship team throw cash at us and him for the current iteration of Morelos, but reality is starting to bite in that league and the level of transfer fees is nowhere near some of the ridiculous fees that we’re getting spent a few years ago.
Factor in that around the time of the Lille bid the noise around him IIRC was that he and his agent fancied a move to the continent rather than England, it’s not unsurprising he’s still here IMO. Not that I’m complaining, I think he would actually consider a new deal at this juncture, which I have my fingers and toes crossed for !

It’s because the Scottish press help sell Celtic players by telling everyone they are world class. Look at Edouard. He was a £30 million player according to the sun and the record. He has not set the fire alight with Crystal Palace

Even at his peak value for us which has been around £15m-£20m he's been an absolute bargain for someone to come and take. His Europa League performances should have him on the radar of so many clubs.

Always thought it would be a Portuguese or Spanish team rather than an English due to culture and language.

His 'reputation' perhaps proceeded him for a while and yes he was young and petulant, some of his red cards have been by awful refereeing and allowing him to be targeted before sending him off for retaliating.

Last edited:
Where did I say none of our players could be worth 20 million?

Morelos's value was set at 20 million by the board and no one has offered that, that's what I implied.
The bit I highlighted where you've clearly implied Morelos isn't worth £20m from the EPL.

None of our players have attracted such a bid, in spite of you telling us £20m is nothing to English clubs.

Is it not therefore safe to assume you think likewise of all of our players or am I missing something?

The bit I highlighted where you've clearly implied Morelos isn't worth £20m from the EPL.

None of our players have attracted such a bid, in spite of you telling us £20m is nothing to English clubs.

Is it not therefore safe to assume you think likewise of all of our players or am I missing something?
IMO our only players I think are or could be worth very close to £20m are

Bassey
Kent
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos I reckon £15m tops

Penalty or open play, they are paid to score goals being a striker. £14million isn’t big money for England either.

In Europe:
AM - 57 games 29 goals
OE - 42 games 15 goals

They are both different types of player, Edouard scored continually throughout the season. Buff goes off the boil far to much and goes periods without scoring quite occasionally.
But you’re far more likely to have a bigger tally as a penalty taker, so it’s very significant if we’re talking strikers. If I offer you two strikers, both have 10 goals each, one has 10 from open play, the other converted 10 penalties. Which are you opting for? You still need to consider that Edouard rolled up in Scotland and spotted into a side dominating, Morelos has been a part of one of the worst Rangers sides I’ve ever seen in the top flight.

At least you’re right about them being different players. Morelos performs better in Europe and and has a more rounded game. Edouard was more clinical in the SPL and that’s about it really. I definitely don’t think Palace forked out for him at age 23 on the strength of an U21 record for France.

This place is a riot. Some genuinely decent takes, but my new favourite is that no ones bitten because he lacks pace and can’t tear away from defenders. Remember all those goals £25m Wood scored where he took the ball down and just blitzed defenders :))

Depends if he was at his best; at his best he could be a lot more.
But when he was at arguably his best in 2019 and 3 years younger than he is now, the best offer we got was 16m from Lille (unsure if it was ever confirmed in euros or pounds).

I’m not convinced we’ll get that kind of offer again tbh.

Aye the likes of West Ham would scud Eintracht Frankfurt. We were proud of beating Borussia Dortmund, but could you ever imagine Man Utd £73m on a Dortmund player.

Fair enough the earlier rounds maybe aren't at EPL standard, but I'd say from the quarters onwards it's a similar standard.
A don’t think braga or Prague are but am splitting hairs really. I’m proud to have done what we did.

I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury.
At least you took the word elite out of your post! Who’s to say Morelos would go to Leeds anyway, he might not fancy giving up what he has here for relegation fodder and those accents. Dunno if he’d fancy going down’t championship.

He’s had a lot of weaknesses in his all-round game up until last season IMO

Suddenly he’s ironed them out and he’s good enough to play at top EPL or CL level now - but it’s probably gone under the radar. Especially as he’s a bit older now and sell on value for the next club would be a lot lower.

It’s our gain - we have as close to the complete striker as you could hope for in the SPFL. Without the worry of him being tempted away.

But when he was at arguably his best in 2019 and 3 years younger than he is now, the best offer we got was 16m from Lille (unsure if it was ever confirmed in euros or pounds).

I’m not convinced we’ll get that kind of offer again tbh.
His best being the form he mostly brings to European games; he still has something special for big occasions. There are clubs in the EPL, and other leagues, not exactly sitting comfortably right now, so many have very big seasons coming up; Morelos may just offer something that mitigates the risk for them. The same with others of our players.

Morelos is not worth 20 million as that's the price the board wanted and no ones offered that, what is it you do not understand about that?
That's not my opinion that just a fact.

That does not mean the likes of Bassey is not worth that.

Honest opinion?

I think we've made it too obvious we want to cash in too often. There have been 2 or 3 instances where I feel media hype around him has impacted his consistency, but we as a club are mire to blame for that.

Like Celtic & kther clubs, we've always out tidbits out there in the media to help raise their profile & rightfully so.

I just feel with Alfie, that desperation has resulted in little interest or unattractive bids.

I'm not saying we should accept the first offer we receive but I equally don't think we will get the absolute best case fee for him either if he goes.

Said on the other thread that out of our players with a year left, I'd happily let Kent run his deal down. I think that if a club he wanted to join offered £10m & wouldn't budge, then that's challenging.

Equally, if 2 or 3 sides across Europe bid in that neighbourhood, then pushing the price up would be fairly easy.

Similar to many of the players we sign ourselves, it's all about what the player wants.

If we are certain 1 or 2 will leave for a good fee but it isn't done yet, I can also understand why we aren't showing our hand in terms of top signings yet

Morelos is not worth 20 million as that's the price the board wanted and no ones offered that, what is it you do not understand about that?
That's not my opinion that just a fact.

That does not mean the likes of Bassey is not worth that.
No one offered £20m for Morelos, so he's not worth that.

No one offered £20m for Bassey so he might be worth that?

Thanks for clearing that up!

Tremendous logic indeed. That doesn’t mean Barisic isn’t worth £100m n’all.

Do you think Morelos is worth 20 million? why did no one come in for him as that's the price the board set?
There's more chance of getting 20 million for Bassey than there is Morelos I'd have thought.

Edouard had quite good stats when in the Scottish Premiership but is now not doing very well at Crystal Palace.

Unfortunately for us this won't go unnoticed by EPL scouts and it will lower their opinion of the Scottish Premiership.
Palace fans seems to be happy with him and he had fairly good numbers. 3rd top scorer and 2nd in assists despite not having a settled role in the team. Big things expected this season coming apparently but I think Alfie would adapt from having 80% possession to 30% a bit better as he's more mature. Edouard is still a kid and so they bought with the idea of selling on. He defo won't be a reason why EPL sides aren't bidding for Alfie. Alfie's next big move will maybe be his last...Or he could stay but so many on here are determined to sell him (but only for £20m).

It’s a strange one nowadays when strikers are not necessarily expected to just rattle in the goals.

In that respect Morelos has never had particularly amazing numbers, certainly not domestically in Scotland, but he’s every inch the modern striker - dropping deep to link up play, dragging defenders all over the shop to make space for others and still getting himself into great positions to score or set up team mates.

If I’m being honest I don’t see him at one of the top six or seven clubs down there, but you’d certainly think the likes of Palace or Brighton or Brentford or even Everton would be tempted for £10m or so.

Palace fans seems to be happy with him and he had fairly good numbers. 3rd top scorer and 2nd in assists despite not having a settled role in the team. Big things expected this season coming apparently but I think Alfie would adapt from having 80% possession to 30% a bit better as he's more mature. Edouard is still a kid and so they bought with the idea of selling on. He defo won't be a reason why EPL sides aren't bidding for Alfie. Alfie's next big move will maybe be his last...Or he could stay but so many on here are determined to sell him (but only for £20m).
You must be thinking Eduords really young compared to Morelos it must be because he was still in the under 21's so long.
There's not much difference in age.

The EPL looks down its nose at our game.

We could win the European Cup and we'd still only be getting 10 million bids for our best players.

At least you took the word elite out of your post! Who’s to say Morelos would go to Leeds anyway, he might not fancy giving up what he has here for relegation fodder and those accents. Dunno if he’d fancy going down’t championship.
Absolutely, he may well go the the EPL and be a huge player there, I just can't see it, of course he would earn a shed load more money and who could blame him for that, never understood why a player would leave a club where he is universally loved to chance his arm elsewhere, apart from the cash obviously.

The EPL looks down its nose at our game.

We could win the European Cup and we'd still only be getting 10 million bids for our best players.
Not really if we have players for positions who stand out and at a good age like Patterson, we will make money.
Bassey will be the same.

Leeds - "elite players" - yep, ok.
Which bit are you struggling to grasp here, I said Bamford misses chances that elite players do not!

I'll quote it for you

" I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury"

Absolutely, he may well go the the EPL and be a huge player there, I just can't see it, of course he would earn a shed load more money and who could blame him for that, never understood why a player would leave a club where he is universally loved to chance his arm elsewhere, apart from the cash obviously.
Only time will tell. I’m glad Leeds stayed up btw.

Which bit are you struggling to grasp here, I said Bamford misses chances that elite players do not!

I'll quote it for you

" I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury"

Which part are you “struggling to grasp” - Leeds don’t attract elite players so it’s a pointless reference to compare Bamford. That’s your level.

Morelos is as good - arguably better - than anyone you have.

Which part are you “struggling to grasp” - Leeds don’t attract elite players so it’s a pointless reference to compare Bamford. That’s your level.

Morelos is as good - arguably better - than anyone you have.
Ever heard of Raphinia? Not on the same planet pal.

Ever heard of Raphinia? Not on the same planet pal.

Yawn. How long is he there for?

For the amount of money available, the EPL has many average players, quite a few in your squad - and yet EPL supporters will gladly come on here to patronise us.

But yep, Chris Wood…

There are two issues, they don't rate the spl and he's been injured or our due to suspension Evey season he's been here.

I don't think he would be particularly suited to the EPL. He gets a lot of goals from hassling and harrying less talented defenders like in the SPFL. EPL defenders wouldn't give him half the chances he gets up here

Do you think Morelos is worth 20 million? why did no one come in for him as that's the price the board set?
There's more chance of getting 20 million for Bassey than there is Morelos I'd have thought.
Dead easy.

Yes, I believe Morelos is worth £20m.
Clearly Rangers do too.

Just because nobody came in for him at £20m doesn't mean he's not worth that.
Lille bid £16m. Does it mean he's worth exactly that?

Just going to ignore the ones that don't suit your argument?

Are Wood, Solanke and Maupay thought of as EPL standard players?

Solanke was dreadful and his team were relegated.

Constantly hearing about how Brighton need to sign another centre forward.

Wood, constantly gets slagged for bring shite.

IMO our only players I think are or could be worth very close to £20m are

Bassey
Kent
Kamara
Aribo

Morelos I reckon £15m tops
If that was the best offer we Ever got I would be happy for him to stay. Worth more than that to us even with his dip in form which every player has, Kents dip lasted nearly a season except a few standouts

Dead easy.

Yes, I believe Morelos is worth £20m.
Clearly Rangers do too.

Just because nobody came in for him at £20m doesn't mean he's not worth that.
Lille bid £16m. Does it mean he's worth exactly that?
It's exactly what it means.
I'd hope to get big money as well but that never happened.

I would expect a bid from England this summer if he doesn't sign a new deal.

It took 2 years of working under Gerrard for Morelos to mature his game. Following that COVID had an impact on finances at the clubs that would likely have taken a punt on him.

A factor often overlooked is his lack of pace. It's just my opinion, but teams in England all look for pace in the final third.
Try telling Chelsea that after spunking near 100m on lukaku who isn’t know for his work effort or his pace and has been papped back to Italy after 1 season.

Back