Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

His finishing isn't elite and ultimately, the clubs that will want to sign Alfie will either want a large powerhouse, or a guy that will score out of nowhere whenever he gets a sniff. That's all the EPL selects for. Alfie is like a hybrid of both, but not elite at either.

11 goals last season in the league will be enough for them to ignorantly assume he wouldn’t get close to double figures in a better league.

As valuable as Morelos is to us, Colombia have 3/4 better strikers never mind if you almost have access to the entire market due to TV cash.

Too many options who play at a better level or have more potential.
If Columbia have 3/4 better strikers as you state, then I wish to fc_uk they would stop picking him for their squads.

English clubs dont rate Scottish Football. They will think Morelos scores goals against poor teams and would not perform at a higher level. Would have thought that some from the lower leagues would have been interested. However we have players like Kent in their last season so can go for free or very little in January and some may just wait and pick up who they want on the cheap or for free.
To get good cash for a player in Scotland they have to show they are playing in the wrong league and need a higher level.
Still plenty of time though in the window.

I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury.
Alfies "not at the level required"? :))

For Leeds United? :)):)):))

It's not 1992 mate, where did you lot finish in the league last year? A bawhair away from relegation! :shh:

Am I alone? Do we overate him ? Is he not suited to English (Prem or championship?

Looking at the long line of strikes English clubs have forked out for (and from clubs / countries not that glamourous / high level, I just find it strange that English clubs haven’t taken a (perhaps gamble?) on him,

Has edouard struggling at palace cast a shadow over forward players moving from SPL? Or simply his goal scoring record / perceived behaviour/ bookings in domestic league taking away from his stats in Europa?
Not sure if the market for the level of potential buying club that would want to sign him has warmed up yet tbh

The Athletic article last week about scouting probably explains this is a bit.

Alfie is an absolute hero to us but people outside the club with no emotional attachment could find reasons not to bite.

He's never really done the business across a full season and has had discipline issues on and off the park.

He just isn't as highly rated as we think, although a great player for us.
Discipline issues off the park? What have I forgotten

It's not 1992 mate, where did you lot finish in the league last year? A bawhair away from relegation! :shh:
Alfie is exactly the type of striker a relegation fodder side needs. But he knows he better. But the big sides need better than him.

Maybe he just falls in the gap. Which is great for us. Sign up alfie

Are Wood, Solanke and Maupay thought of as EPL standard players?

Solanke was dreadful and his team were relegated.

Constantly hearing about how Brighton need to sign another centre forward.

Wood, constantly gets slagged for bring shite.
Maybe there's just a lot of bang average players and "Epl standard" isn't as high as you think.

The standard of EPL team that would go for him, lower half of the Premiership, don’t play in Europe.
Yeah but my point was the guy who posted epl teams might not take a punt on him cause he’s only scored 2 against Celtic is a bit of daft statement when he’s scored against the likes of Feyenord, Porto, Benfica Dortmund who have all recently been in the champions league.

Only thing I can think of is the couple of late returns from Colombia or the photos of him in “gaffs” until the small hours for a period of time hanging about with roasters

Wouldn’t exactly say they red flags. On the face of it, since his house move he seems to have calmed right down

I think we as Rangers fans are blinkered when it comes to Alfredo, only once has he been top scorer in the SPFL. He needed to be doing that every season for a move to a bigger side. Top teams wont sign a player who can turn it on for maybe a dozen European games a season at best.

They want consistency from a player and we dont get that with Alfie, he looks brilliant one week and the next he couldn't finish for toffee.

There’s a reason we have only ever had 1 genuine bid IIRC, most wont like to hear it but he has found his level with us and unless he moved to a smaller level team in Europe he wont be the main man, more of a squad filler.

Im not saying I dont rate him, far from it but for Rangers and Morelos, we are a good fit together.

He came back late from international duty once, remember he was left out the squad for a cup game against Hearts (or you could call it being suspended if you’re a complete Walter Mitty)

A factor often overlooked is his lack of pace. It's just my opinion, but teams in England all look for pace in the final third.
Christian Benteke - Crystal Palace
Harry Kane - Spurs
Chris Wood - Newcastle
Wout Weghorst - Burnley
Alexandre Lacazette - Arsenal
Dominic Calvert-Lewin - Everton
Patrick Bamford - Leeds
Teemu Pukki - Norwich
Raul Jiménez - Wolves
Neal Maupay - Brighton

None of these strikers are renowned for their explosive pace. They all start for their respective clubs. Morelos is good enough to play for every single one of those clubs.

Morelos is not in the shop window for sale because:-
1. He's been injured
2. He's not been playing in the latter stages of the Europa League

Am I alone? Do we overate him ? Is he not suited to English (Prem or championship?

Looking at the long line of strikes English clubs have forked out for (and from clubs / countries not that glamourous / high level, I just find it strange that English clubs haven’t taken a (perhaps gamble?) on him,

Has edouard struggling at palace cast a shadow over forward players moving from SPL? Or simply his goal scoring record / perceived behaviour/ bookings in domestic league taking away from his stats in Europa?

He’s recovering from a serious injury, maybe clubs don’t want to chance that he’s not fully recovered.

I doubt scouts will be caring what media stories say.

However, I do think some points made earlier in thread are probably the reasoning: not finishing a season, spells of honking form, weight fluctuations, and international debacles.

I think hes too inconsistent in Scotland and thats a big reason why he has not attracted interest in England. His finishing is not the best at times. When hes lean and rarint to go he could do it but again what dont help is the fluctuations in his fitness and form. Dont see England being an option for him. Spain, france, portugal most likely

I would expect a bid from England this summer if he doesn't sign a new deal.

It took 2 years of working under Gerrard for Morelos to mature his game. Following that COVID had an impact on finances at the clubs that would likely have taken a punt on him.

A factor often overlooked is his lack of pace. It's just my opinion, but teams in England all look for pace in the final third.
Personally I think that’s the answer. EPL strikers in the main are rapid.

I think you are underestimating the gulf between what is widely accepted as the best league in the world and the SPFL.
Gulf is huge mate. But in the last 20 years there's been a lot of players who have played in Scotland that have went down, played in it and done well. Not all from Rangers and celtic. There's also many that have played in it and come to Scotland and not done so well. I'm sure that arguably the best striker we've had in the last 20 years could go down and do a job for someone.

Personally I hope he stays for another 5 years. If people think we can easily replace what Morelos brings to Rangers for the money and markets we are operating with, they are kidding themselves on.

Yawn. How long is he there for?

For the amount of money available, the EPL has many average players, quite a few in your squad - and yet EPL supporters will gladly come on here to patronise us.

But yep, Chris Wood…
I'm not patronising anyone, read again what I said. Your claim that Morelos is better than anyone in our squad was debunked and you reply with a yawn, it's about opinion pal, my opinion is that Raphinia is better than Morelos, I love them both by the way, you have a different opinion that's forums for you. Have a good day.

Absolutely right mate, if I'm so wrong why have the offers not flooded in from the EPL with all of the cash that washes around there? Alfie would not prosper in the EPL. 1992? I wish.

Portugal or Bundesliga is the ideal destination for Alfie.

The last player to leave the SPL and do well down there was who? Van Dijk? I mean a combination of Armstrong, Christie, Gilmour, Edouard, Patterson, Ajer and a few others I've forgotten haven't exactly set the league on fire so it wouldn't surprise me that the scouts of EPL clubs have pushed us back down the list of havens of talent.

To argue with myself a bit here, despite all I just said, it seems there's still some interest in our league as there's constant rumours lately of Aribo going down there and now Turnbull having suitors.

I'm glad our players are underappreciated by their clubs, I do however think others in Europe will give us more of a consideration but currently on the verge of a financial crisis i can't see clubs steam rolling in from abroad with buckets full of Euro's for anyone here.

Gulf is huge mate. But in the last 20 years there's been a lot of players who have played in Scotland that have went down, played in it and done well. Not all from Rangers and celtic. There's also many that have played in it and come to Scotland and not done so well. I'm sure that arguably the best striker we've had in the last 20 years could go down and do a job for someone.

Personally I hope he stays for another 5 years. If people think we can easily replace what Morelos brings to Rangers for the money and markets we are operating with, they are kidding themselves on.

Ok well in my view you are vastly over rating Morelos.

You are forgetting prior to Gio coming in he was unfit and had been out of form for 18 months.

And to say he's the best striker we've had in the last 20 years is frankly ridiculous.

Tell me this, if he is such a good player, why have we only had one serious bid at 16m quid? Any serious interst since? No.

He's in the last year of his deal and available for a cut price and still no one is beating down the door.

If we can get 10m for him (looking less and less likely we will get as much) then I'd be comfortable with us finding a replacement for roughly the same price.

His finishing isn't elite and ultimately, the clubs that will want to sign Alfie will either want a large powerhouse, or a guy that will score out of nowhere whenever he gets a sniff. That's all the EPL selects for. Alfie is like a hybrid of both, but not elite at either.
Exactly Alfie scores a lot of his goals by chasing down defenders and out muscling them. Premier League defenders won't give up as many chances. I don't think his finishing is good enough for top level EPL teams either. A lot of his goals seem to be shots that are hit as hard as possible rather than good finishes like , say, Salah

Ok well in my view you are vastly over rating Morelos.

You are forgetting prior to Gio coming in he was unfit and had been out of form for 18 months.

And to say he's the best striker we've had in the last 20 years is frankly ridiculous.

Tell me this, if he is such a good player, why have we only had one serious bid at 16m quid? Any serious interst since? No.

He's in the last year of his deal and available for a cut price and still no one is beating down the door.

If we can get 10m for him (looking less and less likely we will get as much) then I'd be comfortable with us finding a replacement for roughly the same price.
I said arguably, he's in the conversation. He's scored over 100 goals, is the clubs European top goalscorer of all time, played in an unbeaten league campaign, at times carried the team on his back, has been subject to the highest transfer fee we have been offered in 150 years and if it hadn't been for internationals and injuries, we could be sitting here with a league title and European trophy.

But aye mate, you're right. I'm overating him for saying he could do a job for a team in a league that giants like Burnley, Bournemouth, Norwich, West Brom, Southampton regularly operate in.

He's got a reputation as a hot head with poor discipline. The likes of Alan Brazil are allowed to call him a "screwball" on national radio and there is no doubt our media up here have painted him into as bad a light as possible.

I also saw an Aston Villa page on Twitter describe him as injury prone which is just bizarre considering the end of last season is the first major injury he's ever had with us.

I like some of Jordan Campbell’s work but you need to take that Athletic article with a pinch of salt. I don’t think anyone with half a brain could read that and really think those ‘quotes‘ were real. His tactical stuff is spot on but his “a source close to the player” scoops are dubious to say the least unless he heavily ad libs them. The language is often straight out of mid 90s tabloids.

With Morelos, I think the level that’s needed is just so high for a striker and English scouts will immediately discount the domestic goals because of the level. Even with blue specs on, I thought Edouard was a really good player, but he looks hopeless down there. Alfie has his Euro form in his favour, plus he’s twice the player off the ball as Edouard, but all the other stuff (discipline, fitness, ‘finesse’ on the ball) are the small margins that make a difference to perceptions.
Che Adams gets regular games in the EPL....Che Adams!!

I'm surprised as well, given his fantastic record in Europe. Hope he stays with us as long as possible.

He's got a reputation as a hot head with poor discipline. The likes of Alan Brazil are allowed to call him a "screwball" on national radio and there is no doubt our media up here have painted him into as bad a light as possible.

I also saw an Aston Villa page on Twitter describe him as injury prone which is just bizarre considering the end of last season is the first major injury he's ever had with us.
He was hot headed & it was a big part of his game his got that to a good level now still hands out stick but goes down as soon as it comes his way lol makes him a nightmare to play against

I genuinely wish him the best when he moves on and I’d love him to prove me wrong, but I think he is still being overrated by many on here and his years with us will be his best years.

I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury.
£27m yous spent on Rodrigo he couldn’t even lace Morelos left boot infact he couldn’t even lace roofe boots

Ratio of chances to goals scored a factor.
He misses more chances than many other top strikers, and benefits from having more chances created for him than some other strikers not playing in Scotland.

I like him and want him to stay.
But scouts will see we got to a Euro final without him.
But if you speak to friends in England the opinion of some is he appears a moody torn faced chubby who doesn't have any shorts that fit him.

Alfie is a brilliant player, who would fit into any league, the way he works his socks off. In a team with better players, Alfie would thrive. Only my opinion

Back