Still Game

Seen earlier the new season of Still Game has finished filming.

Huge fan of the show but the last season was dire and Methadone Mick was one of the cringiest unfunny bits of TV I've ever seen.

Whats everybody's thoughts on the upcoming series?

Whilst the newer stuff might be a bit samey and pish, the originals were superb and actually new / cutting edge for what they were.

This is one of the funniest clips I'v seen

Last series was rubbish compared to earlier ones

Methodone Mick was funny for the first 5 minutes but they ripped the arse out it, they will probably do the same this one too

It will never be as good as the first 6 series just because people's expectations were and are so high for it now. Anything new will never live up to them.

On a side note, was watching the Chewin' the Fat best of's that are on Netflix and noticed the sketches with Jack, Victor, Tam, Winston where they make up songs quite a few of them are things that have transpired into actual episodes of Still Game.

Used to love still game but the live show and the last series were both painfully unfunny. Doubt I'll even watch a single episode of this one.

Last season was utterly shite.

First 3 seasons in particular were sensational at the time. Now all the jokes just feel forced.

A wee fact: original Chewin the Fat and Still Game was written in the house my parents now live in.

Whilst the newer stuff might be a bit samey and pish, the originals were superb and actually new / cutting edge for what they were.

This is one of the funniest clips I'v seen
back-to-facebook-22-58-y-30-k-recent-jobbie-martin-2894235.png

It will be pish this season as parts were filmed in Port Glasgow and Greenock, too many green n greys showing in this area.
Family absolutely love the show but the last series was dire!!!

Aye, yer warm noo....but imagine how you'll feel in a wee stony jail cell, wi nothin' tae keep ye warm except a red hot boaby..RIGHT UP YER AR*E!!!!!

I used to love it but the new series was shite. It stopped being about well written comedy to just cramming in Scottish-esque swearing.

They need to revert back to what made it funny previously, the chat / banter & interactions between the 6 or 7 main characters. Too much reliance on swearing and trying to squeeze in characters that people don't/cant take to, which spread the same jokes over and over.

It was more of a schedule filler down south previously but I'm sure last series was the first simultaneous broadcast. Listen to the way they speak on the series before last to how they do on the latest, it's very noticeable. Kinda dumbing down for the English audience.

I think up until series 4 they were shown at different times from the Scottish run. Series 5 and 6 were given full UK simultaneous broadcasts. The serious downturn in Series 7 is really all about the lack of the ideas rather than trying to appeal to a different audience.

If there has been any changes in the way they speak (and I haven't noticed it), don't rule out the writers themselves. During its hiatus, Greg Hemphill, for one, gave interviews where he expressed embarrassment at the amount of swearing in the show and expressed regret that they hadn't done certain things differently.

Looking forward to the new series, I think the last was hit and miss, but the gap probably had people expectations too high, absence making the heart grow fonder etc.

Back