Stop funding anti-Rangers hatred - Cancel your TV license - 20/6/19 Update - Possible refunds to be had

Only time I’ve had a tv license was when I was 16 and they caught me moving into my house with a tv and lied that I needed one for it. I only used it for the PlayStation and immediately cancelled and not had one for 13 year since then.

Stupidly I did tell one of them a few years later that I had a tv and he some how managed to get it to court. However I don’t have any tv programming source it went away very quickly.

Don’t say a peep and video them. They’ll walk away very quickly.

Rather, they are expecting people to respect and obey the law.

The BBC is a big organisation and BBC Scotland sport is a tiny outpost. Instead of just telling the goons to 'piss off' it would be better if a Bear could co-operate with the process and take it all the way to court and air publicly their grievance against the Corporation.

The BBC is fearful of bad publicity.
I agree, that would be the better option.

Whilst the OP has taken the time to explain his grievance is with BBC Scotland its worth pointing out, just for completeness, that whilst the TV Licence helps fund the BBC the to requirement to hold a licence is NOT specifically to watch BBC output. It also applies to devices other than TVs, including pcs and laptops, games consoles etc.,

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
  • for all channels, not just the BBC
  • if you record a programme and watch it later
  • if you watch a programme on a delay
  • to watch or record repeats
  • to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
  • to watch live programmes on Red Button services
  • even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

This is going to end up like the parking ticket scenario. The powers are there to take it to court they just choose not to use them at the moment. There will come a point where, if enough people stop paying, they will start using them.

As it is a tax under legislation and not a payment for a service, I doubt very much that biase against rangers will get you anywhere.

When I used to buy the Accrington observer the majority of cases on the courts page were for non payment of TV licence.

Rather, they are expecting people to respect and obey the law.

The BBC is a big organisation and BBC Scotland sport is a tiny outpost. Instead of just telling the goons to 'piss off' it would be better if a Bear could co-operate with the process and take it all the way to court and air publicly their grievance against the Corporation.

The BBC is fearful of bad publicity.

I'm still waiting on them taking me to court. Told them I would see them there. 4 years and still yet to act. Capita are the subbies who take on the operation of collecting licence money.

How does this actually work though. Do you still watch telly as normal?

You just dont watch BBC or "live" tv programmes.(whatever that means). To be honest Im not really sure but anyway Im not doing it to save money. Im doing it in the hope that someone somewhere starts asking the BBC to explain what is going on.

Whilst the OP has taken the time to explain his grievance is with BBC Scotland its worth pointing out, just for completeness, that whilst the TV Licence helps fund the BBC the to requirement to hold a licence is NOT specifically to watch BBC output. It also applies to devices other than TVs, including pcs and laptops, games consoles etc.,

That only applies if those computers and consoles can pick up a TV signal. They deliberately word it to make it look like you need the licence regardless

You just dont watch BBC or "live" tv programmes.(whatever that means). To be honest Im not really sure but anyway Im not doing it to save money. Im doing it in the hope that someone somewhere starts asking the BBC to explain what is going on.

Appreciate you don't care but its not just BBC. It includes BBC iPlayer, any streaming service such as Virgin Media, Now TV, Apple TV, YouTube, Amazon Prime that lets you watch 'live' tv. It also includes programmes that you've recorded as it was being shown live. It also includes watching tv on channels other than the BBC, such as ITV, Channel 4 etc.

Anyone thinking of doing this - and I'm not going to advise for or against - should be aware of what the requirements are:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/Live-TV-and-how-you-watch-it

If you only do the following, you don’t need a licence:

• Watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer)
  • Watch S4C TV on demand or listen to radio on iPlayer
  • Stream, rent or buy movies from providers like Sky, Virgin Media, BT TV, Netflix or Amazon
  • Watch DVDs, Blu-rays or videos,
  • Play internet video clips through services like YouTube or to play video games.

That only applies if those computers and consoles can pick up a TV signal. They deliberately word it to make it look like you need the licence regardless

Not true:

Do I need a TV Licence to watch streamed programmes?

Yes, you need a TV Licence if you watch or record live TV on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device or provider you use.

No, you don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ33

Wait for the deluge of threatening and intimidating letters to arrive through your letter box - IGNORE THEM !
There's about a 10/1 chance a couple of goons will turn up at your door in the next year - get them to identify themselves then tell them "no comment" - close the door.
Enjoy your extra £154.50 to spend on Rising stars, Rangers Pools, or friendly match tickets.
Simples

If someone doesn't want to pay their licence yet watch BBC that's up to them. Personally, I pay mine as BBC is much more than Scotland. In my view, coming on here and telling others how to avoid paying their licence fee, whilst using the service is no different from posting links to illegal streams. Just sayin'.
History is littered with those who broke the law seeking justice, just saying.

Ok so I did the same and cancelled told them why,
Got a chap at the door last week and it was them 2 guys, as luck would have it I was in the middle of switching rooms (bedroom where living room was) it was almost finished except one element. The TV Ariel had not been connected everything there just that I hadn't put the Ariel in yet. He asked if he could come in (I did think about telling him no) I said sure switched on telly nothing I said I don't watch the telly only Netflix and Amazon prime, and all because of the BBC and their blatant bias against my club. I went on to say if the situation was resolved I would reconsider this. He left saying I wouldn't be hassled for my TV license in future.
Job done!

Even if you never watch any BBC channels, if you have a receiver capable of playing live TV broadcasts you need a license. Which in and of itself is insane because with a Sky Sports or a Sky movies subscription you can just cancel it and continue watching fucken Dave or ITV3 Sky don't show up at your door demanding money off you.

Even if you never watch any BBC channels, if you have a receiver capable of playing live TV broadcasts you need a license. Which in and of itself is insane because with a Sky Sports or a Sky movies subscription you can just cancel it and continue watching fucken Dave or ITV3 Sky don't show up at your door demanding money off you.

You only need to pay for a TV license if you watch live any TV on any platform if you don't watch live TV then you don't need one.

I just checked BBC on line, no report on Rangers game yesterday an event attended by 25,000.
They do however provide results from the Russian Premier league.

To be fair, there's no report on the Dhims Saturday friendly either - though I've no idea what the fictitious attendance the Dhims dreamt up for that one was.;)

I have always paid it,all my life but I have a mate from Drumchapel who thinks this is hilarious.

He has never paid it and says I'm the only one he knows who does,when I asked what he would do if one of their guys came to the door,he said 'I'd chase the fucker right out my gate'

He's genuinely baffled why I still pay it,to be honest I'm not against giving it a go and missing next years payment but the wife shits herself about stuff like that.

I have always paid it,all my life but I have a mate from Drumchapel who thinks this is hilarious.

He has never paid it and says I'm the only one he knows who does,when I asked what he would do if one of their guys came to the door,he said 'I'd chase the fucker right out my gate'

He's genuinely baffled why I still pay it,to be honest I'm not against giving it a go and missing next years payment but the wife shits herself about stuff like that.

Im not trying to save money by not paying. Im trying to highlight their lies and discrimination.

Im hoping more bears will call them and tell them why they're stopping paying. Tell them the BBC aint following their charter and you will not be watching or paying them until they do.

Just avoiding paying misses the point.

My brother pays his and I’m the same with him,don’t pay it and ignore everything that comes from them and never let them in your house and there is nothing they can do

Not had a tv licence in about 17 yrs never had anyone out to the door had plenty letters saying they are investigating and letters saying will you be in on such n such a date lol. Aye right and i think ive had about 200 final warning or they will come out letters all get ripped up and put in the bin f*** the BBC they will be getting heehaw from me
Same here

I moved into my new flat 6 weeks ago. I have just received a letter from them saying that from 18th July onwards I will receive a visit from them.

Gonna have their charter all printed off and tell them I am being discriminated against because I am a Rangers Season Ticket holder and do not receive the same service as every other football Season Ticket holder in Scotland. Which is against their Charter.

Will also say that I am boycotting BBC Scotland until they come to their senses and start covering my team to the same standard (pish as that may be) as every other club in Scotland.

Will see what they say to that but they will not be getting in regardless.

I have to admit I pay for mine and don’t mind.
Yes BBC Scotland sports department are a shower of arseholes but the BBC is far more than them.
Yesterday for example I watched the Wimbledon final then Top Gear. There’s a lot of stuff on it worth watching but it’s all personal taste I suppose.

Just the unjust ones.

Put it to a poll on here if you're unsure.

The mixed messages on the this thread are potentially harmful to fellow bears and I'm sure none of us want that. It's obvious that those who do not need a TV licence should not be paying for one.

However, to actively encourage those who do legally need one not to pay because of the undoubted and long standing anti Rangers bias is irresponsible and could have very serious consequences for our fellow supporter.

Whilst the breaking of unjust laws can be defended and has been actively promoted in history, the TV licence example re BBC Scotland and Rangers FC isn't one of them at present, at least not without a massive campaign backed up with a sustained organised approach which would probably need at a minimum the tacit support of the club (which would of course never happen).

Unless and until this happened, I would encourage fellow bears to keep themselves on the right side of the law as it relates to how they use their TV but to protest in other ways to the BBC. To suggest that the only way of protest is to actually break the law itself is totally wrong imho.

My wife was exactly the same, until I showed her they have no power, and have no right of entry . As for their TV detector vans frightening people in the 60's 70'and 80's, the feckers were lying as they vans were just that Vans, that told them feck all. One of the numerous lies they peddle and cover up.

That has to be the most antiquated, draconian law ever.

Anyone with a will to be an MP would have a landslide victory if that was his/her main objective to fight the cause.

Decent salary and expenses.

The anti licence party hmmm

Cancelled mine earlier this year as I only watch Netflix now and have it for the PlayStation.

Had a couple of letters, despite them saying I wouldn't as I filled in an online form declaring I don't watch TV.

Binned them and heard nothing else.

Haven’t paid for one since moving into my current property 3 years ago. Numerous letters from them go straight in the bin. I have however been visited twice as they put a handwritten note through the door on each occasion but as I work long hours and stay on my own, nobody was in.

Thats like someone going on a hungerstrike and eating when no one is looking.
It is not illegal to go on hungerstrike or eating . However it is illegal to go on a civil rights march without permission, not paying the poll tax etc. There are many examples of law breaking for a just cause and not paying the TV license is one of them in my opinion.

It is not illegal to go on hungerstrike or eating . However it is illegal to go on a civil rights march without permission, not paying the poll tax etc. There are many examples of law breaking for a just cause and not paying the TV license is one of them in my opinion.

Off topic but the poll tax was a great idea.

It's for broadcast tv, if it's in a tv schedule/listing to be broadcast.

Things like BBC News channel, STV, Dave, Discovery channel etc etc are 'broadcast' channels

Things like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube are 'streamed' services with no fixed 'schedule'

BBC iPlayer used to fit the streamed service criteria, but then the bastards added live tv to it, so it is now 'broadcast' classified.

RTV shows scheduled live football matches, so RTV on your laptop/ipad/phone is classified as a 'broadcast' and that by law requires a licence.

Legally:
Broadcast pay a licence
Streamed don't pay a licence

I haven't given the biased bastard channel a penny of my cash since the 90's. Not solely because of Rangers, but due to their dereliction of duty to be politically impartial.

I am over 75 and don't pay but received a letter saying I will start paying again from June next year. Always paid until they said I no longer needed to and now the swines change their minds.

Dont listen to the panty wetters saying you should pay,they can do sod all to make you, been in my flat 20 years and never gave them a penny and never will,not funding the wages of bigots like dickhead gordon or skeletor.

Stopped paying last year (£13 p/month) and sent an email as to why. Also let them know when they called me after I cancelled the direct debit.
I now pay not much more for RTV instead.

Back