Story of a new fan

Rangerslion

I've seen other do this and wasn't sure if I should but thought it would be nice to tell the story.

My papa was never into football. For 84 years of his life he couldn't tell you much apart from Rangers where the blue ones and that mob where the greens ones. To be honest the only thing he ever done football related was a very long time ago, he used to make flags and sell them to fans coming over from Northern Ireland. As a Northern Irish man himself he had loads of friends and family who came over for the football regularly so knew there was boat loads of people.

He's was an army man, served his time and told me many a story about the soldiers in his regiment singing football songs. One story in particular always brought a smile to my face. He was posted in Malaya in the 1950s and they were all terrified and always trying to cheer each other up. One night as the camp was quiet as a mouse, everyone settled down and most of them getting ready to go to sleep. They heard a lone piper at the other side of the camp strike up a song on the bagpipes. It was non other than the Sash which most of the camp got a right good laugh at.

Anyway later in life around his late 70s my papa ended up in a wheelchair due to health issues. Due to this I started spending as much free time with him over the last 8 years roughly as possible. He would always ask me where I was going when I used to leave and a lot of the time it was me going to see the football with the boys.

Around 3 years ago, he started asking me questions about Rangers. Who you playing tonight? Is wee Morelly playing? He seems to score quite often eh? To which one night I said if you'd like papa I'll tell the boys I'll give it a miss and stick it on the telly for us to watch here. That was around 3 years ago and from that first match my papa was hooked on us. He'd watch every game, even watch that mobs games hoping they'd drop points, read all the papers and Google everything about us. At first my family would crack jokes because at 84 years old never having watched a game in his life they were surprised how he'd started watching it so late in life. As time went by and they seen how passionate he was and how he'd shout at the telly like he was there and celebrate every goal they knew football time was serious and we'd religiously watch every game together.

This Season he was buzzing because of how great we've been. He was always talking about us and you could see the excitement about how we were going to win the title this season and how much he was looking forward to it. Me personally I was over the moon that I'd get to celebrate a title with my papa as I've seen us win plenty, but never with the auld boy and every point closer we got was another step towards that first title he'd see us win as a fan.

Unfortunately my papa had loads of health issues as I said earlier. Testicular cancer, skin cancer, cancer in his spine, senile dementia, blood clots, you name it he had it, but still fought on and was always smiling. Last week he got took into the hospital for a sore stomach which we all thought would be dealt with quite fast, and he'd be back out in time for the second leg. Unfortunately that sore stomach was severe acute pancreatitis which he fought for around 8 days and past away this morning.

As heart breaking as it is that I know he never got to see us lift the title. I wanted to tell his story about how he became a fan at the grand old age of 84 and was as passionate about us as anyone I know.

Sorry if that's too long guys it's late and I just kept typing.

I've seen other do this and wasn't sure if I should but thought it would be nice to tell the story.

My papa was never into football. For 84 years of his life he couldn't tell you much apart from Rangers where the blue ones and that mob where the greens ones. To be honest the only thing he ever done football related was a very long time ago, he used to make flags and sell them to fans coming over from Northern Ireland. As a Northern Irish man himself he had loads of friends and family who came over for the football regularly so knew there was boat loads of people.

He's was an army man, served his time and told me many a story about the soldiers in his regiment singing football songs. One story in particular always brought a smile to my face. He was posted in Malaya in the 1950s and they were all terrified and always trying to cheer each other up. One night as the camp was quiet as a mouse, everyone settled down and most of them getting ready to go to sleep. They heard a lone piper at the other side of the camp strike up a song on the bagpipes. It was non other than the Sash which most of the camp got a right good laugh at.

Anyway later in life around his late 70s my papa ended up in a wheelchair due to health issues. Due to this I started spending as much free time with him over the last 8 years roughly as possible. He would always ask me where I was going when I used to leave and a lot of the time it was me going to see the football with the boys.

Around 3 years ago, he started asking me questions about Rangers. Who you playing tonight? Is wee Morelly playing? He seems to score quite often eh? To which one night I said if you'd like papa I'll tell the boys I'll give it a miss and stick it on the telly for us to watch here. That was around 3 years ago and from that first match my papa was hooked on us. He'd watch every game, even watch that mobs games hoping they'd drop points, read all the papers and Google everything about us. At first my family would crack jokes because at 84 years old never having watched a game in his life they were surprised how he'd started watching it so late in life. As time went by and they seen how passionate he was and how he'd shout at the telly like he was there and celebrate every goal they knew football time was serious and we'd religiously watch every game together.

This Season he was buzzing because of how great we've been. He was always talking about us and you could see the excitement about how we were going to win the title this season and how much he was looking forward to it. Me personally I was over the moon that I'd get to celebrate a title with my papa as I've seen us win plenty, but never with the auld boy and every point closer we got was another step towards that first title he'd see us win as a fan.

Unfortunately my papa had loads of health issues as I said earlier. Testicular cancer, skin cancer, cancer in his spine, senile dementia, blood clots, you name it he had it, but still fought on and was always smiling. Last week he got took into the hospital for a sore stomach which we all thought would be dealt with quite fast, and he'd be back out in time for the second leg. Unfortunately that sore stomach was severe acute pancreatitis which he fought for around 8 days and past away this morning.

As heart breaking as it is that I know he never got to see us lift the title. I wanted to tell his story about how he became a fan at the grand old age of 84 and was as passionate about us as anyone I know.

So sorry for your loss, it was wonderful you were able to share and pass on your love of Rangers to him.

Wonderful story mate . The love shown pours out from reading it.

Thanks for sharing mate. There's gonna be plenty of bluenoses raising a glass to those who aren't with us anymore when we clinch this title. I'll be having one for my da who took me to my first game 40 years ago, this one's special pal and you have the memories of sharing the last few years with your papa.

Lovely wee story mate. You’re never too old to be bitten by the bug and I’m sure he’ll be looking down when we clinch the title.

Condolences on your sad loss my friend, but im sure your Papa will be looking down when the title comes home soon.
Another Absent Friend to be remembered

Sorry to hear of your loss. You spent your time taking an interest in your pops and he did the same picking up on your interest. I am glad you had the football to bond further over. Not sure you could shorten post too much without missing out detail and the detail is what helps us relate to your post. Thanks for posting it is nice read to honour his memory.

What an amazing story, deepest condolences for the sad ending

Sorry for your loss, mate, but it's a great wee story about how you got to spend time with him in his later years and shared a love for the Rangers. You made memories that you'll keep forever and it's obvious that you made his life that bit more special... yes, by introducing him properly to Rangers, but more importantly, by spending time with him and having that bond. Don't fret too much about him not seeing us lift the title, he saw enough. He knew.

RIP to your Papa and when the time comes we'll all be raising a glass to all the Papas and other friends and family who have passed away at some point along this "journey".

Cheers to your family (part of the Rangers family) and to 55, mate!

Sorry for your loss mate, he’ll still be watching us lift the title,
I’m sure we’ll all spare a thought for the bears no longer with us when the big day comes.

Sorry for your loss buddy, wee tear reading that

Well done for bringing him love and joy in his final years though - auld yin would have loved it

when we win 55 he’s one of the many we will raise a glass too

absent friends

Condolences mate and thanks for sharing.

Your Granda sounds like a real character as many of the old boys were.

Magic that you'll have the memories of him getting into the Rangers with you and sad he never quite got there to see us win it. Never too late to be a Bear!

Lovely story ,shame he wont get to see us lift 55 but you have great memories of pumpin the mhanks a few times.My dad similar never bothered about Rangers only boxing interested him gort some health issues now so ive been taking dinners over and watching the gers over theyre.Watches every game now and starts with who are We playing tonite.Hope hes here till we lift the trophy.
RIP papa.

I loved every word my friend.
Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry for your loss.

Heart breaking mate.

Your papa sounded like quite the man and I'll be sure to have him in my thoughts when I raise a toast for absent friends the night we seal the title.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss OP. As I’ve said in other threads, Absent Friends, in reality, never leave us. They stay in our thoughts and will be with us when we raise a glass. Condolences again to you and your family.

That's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing it at such a difficult time for you and your family.

My condolences and I'm sure you'll be smiling as broadly as the rest of us when the title is secured, as you think of your papa, who was a .... RANGER.

Tears mate.

Beautiful personal story. Sounded like a real character your Papa.

So sad he never got to see 55, but what he did get was more important, and that was a special bond with you that he has very obviously treasured.

Back