Story of a new fan

I've seen other do this and wasn't sure if I should but thought it would be nice to tell the story.

My papa was never into football. For 84 years of his life he couldn't tell you much apart from Rangers where the blue ones and that mob where the greens ones. To be honest the only thing he ever done football related was a very long time ago, he used to make flags and sell them to fans coming over from Northern Ireland. As a Northern Irish man himself he had loads of friends and family who came over for the football regularly so knew there was boat loads of people.

He's was an army man, served his time and told me many a story about the soldiers in his regiment singing football songs. One story in particular always brought a smile to my face. He was posted in Malaya in the 1950s and they were all terrified and always trying to cheer each other up. One night as the camp was quiet as a mouse, everyone settled down and most of them getting ready to go to sleep. They heard a lone piper at the other side of the camp strike up a song on the bagpipes. It was non other than the Sash which most of the camp got a right good laugh at.

Anyway later in life around his late 70s my papa ended up in a wheelchair due to health issues. Due to this I started spending as much free time with him over the last 8 years roughly as possible. He would always ask me where I was going when I used to leave and a lot of the time it was me going to see the football with the boys.

Around 3 years ago, he started asking me questions about Rangers. Who you playing tonight? Is wee Morelly playing? He seems to score quite often eh? To which one night I said if you'd like papa I'll tell the boys I'll give it a miss and stick it on the telly for us to watch here. That was around 3 years ago and from that first match my papa was hooked on us. He'd watch every game, even watch that mobs games hoping they'd drop points, read all the papers and Google everything about us. At first my family would crack jokes because at 84 years old never having watched a game in his life they were surprised how he'd started watching it so late in life. As time went by and they seen how passionate he was and how he'd shout at the telly like he was there and celebrate every goal they knew football time was serious and we'd religiously watch every game together.

This Season he was buzzing because of how great we've been. He was always talking about us and you could see the excitement about how we were going to win the title this season and how much he was looking forward to it. Me personally I was over the moon that I'd get to celebrate a title with my papa as I've seen us win plenty, but never with the auld boy and every point closer we got was another step towards that first title he'd see us win as a fan.

Unfortunately my papa had loads of health issues as I said earlier. Testicular cancer, skin cancer, cancer in his spine, senile dementia, blood clots, you name it he had it, but still fought on and was always smiling. Last week he got took into the hospital for a sore stomach which we all thought would be dealt with quite fast, and he'd be back out in time for the second leg. Unfortunately that sore stomach was severe acute pancreatitis which he fought for around 8 days and past away this morning.

As heart breaking as it is that I know he never got to see us lift the title. I wanted to tell his story about how he became a fan at the grand old age of 84 and was as passionate about us as anyone I know.

Sorry if that's too long guys it's late and I just kept typing.
What a wonderful read that was mate, struggled to see the writing near the end for some strange reason

Great Post OP, sorry for your loss. I am sure many a toast will be raised to absent friends and family by many supporters who have lost loved ones in this famous title run.

Brings tear reading all these stories and a wee lump in throat in memory of one's we all think about at this time.

May ur papa rest easy.

They say there is a huge party here. But an even bigger one watching from up above.

My condolences to you and your family

Loved reading that and glad you ended up having such good memories together.
Personally I tried to get my dad to see my love of Rangers but only game he ver went to with me was the famous Scotland 1-0 v Italy.At least he got to see how two great Rangers.

I've seen other do this and wasn't sure if I should but thought it would be nice to tell the story.

My papa was never into football. For 84 years of his life he couldn't tell you much apart from Rangers where the blue ones and that mob where the greens ones. To be honest the only thing he ever done football related was a very long time ago, he used to make flags and sell them to fans coming over from Northern Ireland. As a Northern Irish man himself he had loads of friends and family who came over for the football regularly so knew there was boat loads of people.

He's was an army man, served his time and told me many a story about the soldiers in his regiment singing football songs. One story in particular always brought a smile to my face. He was posted in Malaya in the 1950s and they were all terrified and always trying to cheer each other up. One night as the camp was quiet as a mouse, everyone settled down and most of them getting ready to go to sleep. They heard a lone piper at the other side of the camp strike up a song on the bagpipes. It was non other than the Sash which most of the camp got a right good laugh at.

Anyway later in life around his late 70s my papa ended up in a wheelchair due to health issues. Due to this I started spending as much free time with him over the last 8 years roughly as possible. He would always ask me where I was going when I used to leave and a lot of the time it was me going to see the football with the boys.

Around 3 years ago, he started asking me questions about Rangers. Who you playing tonight? Is wee Morelly playing? He seems to score quite often eh? To which one night I said if you'd like papa I'll tell the boys I'll give it a miss and stick it on the telly for us to watch here. That was around 3 years ago and from that first match my papa was hooked on us. He'd watch every game, even watch that mobs games hoping they'd drop points, read all the papers and Google everything about us. At first my family would crack jokes because at 84 years old never having watched a game in his life they were surprised how he'd started watching it so late in life. As time went by and they seen how passionate he was and how he'd shout at the telly like he was there and celebrate every goal they knew football time was serious and we'd religiously watch every game together.

This Season he was buzzing because of how great we've been. He was always talking about us and you could see the excitement about how we were going to win the title this season and how much he was looking forward to it. Me personally I was over the moon that I'd get to celebrate a title with my papa as I've seen us win plenty, but never with the auld boy and every point closer we got was another step towards that first title he'd see us win as a fan.

Unfortunately my papa had loads of health issues as I said earlier. Testicular cancer, skin cancer, cancer in his spine, senile dementia, blood clots, you name it he had it, but still fought on and was always smiling. Last week he got took into the hospital for a sore stomach which we all thought would be dealt with quite fast, and he'd be back out in time for the second leg. Unfortunately that sore stomach was severe acute pancreatitis which he fought for around 8 days and past away this morning.

As heart breaking as it is that I know he never got to see us lift the title. I wanted to tell his story about how he became a fan at the grand old age of 84 and was as passionate about us as anyone I know.

Sorry for your loss.

Beautiful story written from the heart mate, was choking up reading it. Your Papa will be watching from heaven up above singing Follow Follow to The Rangers that he loves. May he rest easy.

Sorry for your loss buddy and thanks for sharing.

Maybe the silver lining in the dark cloud is that although your papa never got to see us officially clinch 55 he's away to his resting place content in the knowledge that the title is on its way back to Ibrox.

What a beautiful but bittersweet story. Very sorry for your loss and I'm sure you and everyone that read that will raise a wee toast to him when we clinch 55. RIP

Sorry for your loss. Great memories to have with your papa.

Lovely story of your papa, could feel your love for him, sorry for your loss, but I'm sure he'll be watching like all our fellow bears that have passed.
I'll be toasting my parents when we win it as I lost them in the last few years, my da took me when I was 5 to the first game, 55 years ago.

So sorry for your loss mate but im sure your papa will be looking down when we clinch it officially and happy that you helped him become a bear even after all those years without.I'll have a wee toast to your papa and all the other absent bears when it happens.

This is heartbreaking but also inspirational, its never too late to fall under the spell of loving our greatest game and the greatest team! I am glad you got to share these special moments with your papa! So sorry for your loss!

So sorry for your loss. But what a lovely story. Got a lump in my throat reading it. Thinking about my Granda who passed away last year who would have been absoloutely loving this right now.
And my wee gran who passed away in 2015 not long after we were saved by King and the 3 Bears. Rangers through and through who hated them and the nationalists more than I think anyone ive ever known. we had to phone her at the final whistle and let her know Rangers were Champions again because she didnt want to watch it and jinx it. She would let out a cheer and a ohh brilliant son. I knew they would do it. Well Gran it would nearly be time for your phonecall again.

We will raise a glass to your Papa and everyone else who was robbed of Rangers title winning teams in their latter years soon enough.

Champions Again.

Firstly so sorry for your loss mate. What a lovely story, thank you for sharing. Maybe we are all a bit emotional just now on the verge of 55 but I was just thinking yesterday about what does Rangers mean to me? And the bit I love most about Rangers is that it’s a shared passion with me and my Dad. It gives us an excuse to catch up and socialise together. One day it will be a shared passion with my two young sons. And I cannot thank my Dad enough for that.

respect mate and so sorry about your dad. never too old to get the bug as he proved with your help.
i'll toast him and the many other bears we've lost on our journey when we finally get over the line ,not least my own dad who i lost to cancer 4 1/2 years ago and some other good frinds too .

Rest easy old fella thats a heart warming story as much as your papa enjoyed his new love of the Rangers I'm sure it was spending his precious time with you that really lit up his life in later years, he might not physically be there with you to see us lift that title but he will always be there in your heart and memories, god bless him and the Rangers

Class, post.

Thanks for sharing mate I'll raise a glass to your old man, my mate and all that have no made it to the end of the journey when we do it. Will be a sad but joyous occasion.

Back