Strachan gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
There shouldn't be a decision to make. Should have been sacked straight after the Slovakia game.

I don't see us doing any better in the next campaign with him in charge, but who is out there that would be (a) interested and (b) better than strachan? I'm struggling to think of any that the tartan army would accept (i.e. being Scottish).

He's had 2 qualifications so unless he is going to do something radical for the next then he's obviously got the best out of the players he has chosen/will continue to choose and in terms of reaching finals, just isn't good enough.

I don't have a name in mind, but I feel that if the SFA are serious on improving Scotland they have to look for a foreign coach.. (i.e. a non Scot)

I don't see us doing any better in the next campaign with him in charge, but who is out there that would be (a) interested and (b) better than strachan? I'm struggling to think of any that the tartan army would accept (i.e. being Scottish).

In short: %^*& the tartan army.

If positions were filled on what fans think/who they would accept then it would literally be game over. Fans will accept who brings success, ok they may revel in the inevitable 'brick wall', but if success is there then they'll be for it.

Really is time for a change! Two campaigns, two failures! Baffling team selections and tactics. Think it's a certainty Moyes will get the job. Actually think there's players there to work with

Two conflicting trains of though.

1) Two qualification failures should lead to a very quick and easy decision normally.
2) In the last year it would be churlish to say that Scotland have not improved considerably, though the performance on Sunday was pathetic given what was at stake.

Thankfully my footballing loyalties lie solely with Rangers so could not care less what happens.

Of Scottish managers - David Moyes, Paul Lambert, Derek McInnes, Alex Neil.

Anyone that is going to pick the best Scottish players rather than whoever may be getting a game in the English 2nd or 3rd tier.

Bannan, Mulgrew etc should be nowhere near a Scotland team.

And as for improvement, we always seem to get two or three good results at the end of the campaign. But look at them....

The draw at home to England was a good performance, but it is a derby game and England aren't in the best of form.

A win away in Lithuania is as expected, but every other team won in Lithuania and we were the only ones not to beat them twice having drawn at home!!

A late 1-0 home win due to an own goal against a Slovakian team who played 70 mins with 10 man (and who arguably still outplayed Scotland for most of the match).

And a draw (and shocking performance) in Slovenia when they were already out.

Where was the improvement???

Last edited:
Got a bad feeling about this. He will be kept on because they can't think of anyone better with a "suitable" background!

When do we expect an announcement?

Can't fathom why anyone, aside from Keith Jackson of course, would want him to stay on. He is quite simply the reason Scotland didn't qualify.

Twist.

We badly needed energy in midfield against Slovenia and he put on Steven bloody Fletcher. Strachan has no adventure whatsoever and is far too loyal. Brown for example should have been chased but was welcomed back with open arms. Also wasn't brave enough to remove Fletcher the other night when he was blowing out his arse. Good riddance to him and 70% of the team from Sunday.

Of Scottish managers - David Moyes, Paul Lambert, Derek McInnes, Alex Neil.

Anyone that is going to pick the best Scottish players rather than whoever may be getting a game in the English 2nd or 3rd tier.

Bannan, Mulgrew etc should be nowhere near a Scotland team.

And as for improvement, we always seem to get two or three good results at the end of the campaign. But look at them....

The draw at home to England was a good performance, but it is a derby game and England aren't in the best of form.

A win away in Lithuania is as expected, but every other team won in Lithuania and we were the only ones not to beat them twice having drawn at home!!

A late 1-0 home win due to an own goal against a Slovakian team who played 70 mins with 10 man (and who arguably still outplayed Scotland for most of the match).

And a draw (and shocking performance) in Slovenia when they were already out.

Where was the improvement???
Moved up 30 places or something in ranking....

People that should have had the role will/would not get asked, Souness at one point was the ideal candidate but as he would stand up to the board there was no chance, I often wonder if this is the real reason why Smith walked away.
The guys at the top want YES men in who won't rock the boat and because of this the national team will never improve.
Thoughts on Strachan - waste of space and can GTF...

It would just sum up the sfa if he was kept on.

I dont know of any other nation, who seriously have ambitions of qualifying for major tournaments, who would keep on a manager who has failed twice.

I think he's done.
He's certainly been an improvement on his immediate predecessor and there's been occasional signs that he might actually be getting there. But for every couple of decent performances , there's a ridiculous one like Georgia away in the Euro qualifiers or Lithuania away in the recent world cup ones.
Ultimately we've failed to qualify under him and it's not all been down to bad luck and short-arsed players. We may have a limited pool of players (and a short one!) but other teams with far less in the way of resources have done better with less.
Is Moyes desperate enough to take it?

Good decision. Excited to see what they come up with now. Not a lot of obvious choices.

You just know it will be Moyes.

Tainted goods, not being touched elsewhere. Then lauded by the footsoldiers, Jackson and BBC Scotland and Regan as a coup.
Brutal times.

Twist please, aw füçk...bust!

That's exactly the problem?
Who'll get say, eighty percent popularity?
McLeish didn't do too bad but he'd be unwanted for picking up a club job and leaving.
Let's see how many go for Davies.
You know, all his pals who wanted him at Rangers must be putting him forward.

The SFA will be all over Moyes. Another grey appointment. Or should I say green and grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back