Strachan Saying that Celtic are a "Far better team" - Now With Full Article

Edit
Should have read comments before posting, he’s clearly not saying they are a far better team than us.

Fair points but we did allow them to get into some dangerous positions to get a shot in from just outside the box. Christie in particular was guilty of shooting high and wide a few times when he could have caused us some real problems we need to close them down better next time.
Rangers had more control than given credit for, particularly in midfield, and sometimes the way football is read in our leagues is, in my opinion, naive; just as good players are judged to be bad players and the overall contribution of players is under-rated, frequently. Had they been the better side then they would have penetrated our defence and played in our box mostly. Their resort to shots outside the box, and their failure to break us down in any meaningful way is significant.

ALL Gordon Strachan sees right now is a Rangers canter towards the Premiership crown.
It’s still only January but it’s a measure of how poor the Hoops have been throughout a calamitous campaign – a proverbial mile behind the Gers in the league, out of the Betfred Cup, out of Europe – that Strachan refuses to recognise the term ‘title race’.
Back in 2008 he sparked a sensational late Hoops comeback to secure a third successive championship – winning their last seven games, including two derbies, to pip UEFA Cup finalists Rangers who at one point had been seven points clear.

Now, though, it’s a CHASM of a gap from the Ibrox side who have a 21-point lead with 14 games left. And asked if there’s still currently a title race, Strachan told Football Pass: “No, not at the moment.“There’s not a title race. There’s a battle to start playing football again and winning points.

“Only when you get, I would say, if Celtic could get seven or eight points from them – and that’s going to be a hard get – then you could say there’s going to be a title race.“But at the moment it’s not a title race.“It’s up to the Celtic people to drag themselves back.
“There was an opportunity in the last couple of games. But they’ve had draws.“They could’ve got a couple of points closer, that’s for sure.“But, because of the circumstances, they’ve played games of football without major players.“And you need your major players – especially up front where you’ve got four of your strikers missing, including your two top ones Edouard and Griffiths
“I believe when they play – the stats, using my eyes, everybody knows it - Celtic are a far better team.”
Strachan smiled wryly over Neil Lennon’s sensational outburst on Monday – blasting ex-Celtic striker and Sky Sports pundit Andy Walker and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon while also vehemently denying the trip to Dubai amid the pandemic was a mistake.
He wonders if it was all simply a tactic by Lennon to use the platform of his first public address since returning from the UAE to fire up his team.
The 63-year-old fellow red-head has had his fair share of explosive outbursts through a memorable football career.
And of Lennon’s tirade, Strachan said of his former Celts captain: “Just when the Celtic people thought they were having a nice easy afternoon, the boys are back training, getting ready to play Livingston on Wednesday…
“Neil, who has been locked up for 10 days isolating, has got himself in a chair and I’m sure he was ready and calculated.
“Then he gave us, he gave everybody in the football world, something to talk about again.
“Talk shows, everything, will be talking about that.“And whether you admire it or whether you think it’s a bit clumsy or maybe not needed, it’s happened.“What we’ve seen is there’s an anger there – which you need as a manager.“There’s passion there – which you DEFINITELY need as a manager.“It’s also maybe given an indication to the players ‘Are you up for the fight?’.“Like, ‘If I’m going to take people on, you better be with me.’“Whether he’s right or wrong, that’s not the point.
We’ve all been there as a football manager when you think ‘This could be wrong.’“But is it right for me to say to the players ‘Are you with me?’“So that might’ve been a part of Neil’s defence.”
Strachan, meanwhile, has been knocked out by Rangers this term.
Of Steven Gerrard’s champions-elect – 21 wins, three draws, 60 goals scored, seven conceded – he said: “I think Rangers have had a lot of work on their defensive side.
“Now people think defensive side is a back four, heading the ball away and blocking things. It’s not that.
“That comes when individuals have been asked to do their jobs and they’ve been good at that.
“But as a group I think their platform for good attacking football is where they defend from.
“So, I don’t think they’ve been lucky in any way – I think their run of form has been excellent.
“You’ll probably say that maybe their flair players over the course of the last couple of months have not been as prolific, shining as they have been,“But their shape has been fantastic.
“So all credit goes to them. For all this thing about Celtic, you must give credit to Rangers who have done extremely well.
“And to take the body blows that they had last year…
“I spoke to Gary McAllister last year after this happened and I did say to him – and he knows it well – that the footballing gods make you suffer before you win something.
“And they suffered last year. They suffered as bad as what the Celtic group are going through now.“People saying this and that about them.“The fact they’ve done without any fans is fantastic.
“So they’ve done it all themselves. That’s a fantastic achievement.”
League table doesn’t lie!

A far better team than what or who?
I think Strachan is saying they are a better team than their form suggests. But since your average Scottish football journalist has the reading comprehension of a 5 year old, the headline is suggesting that he's referring to us.

think some care home should do a head count or the vaccine has got severe side effects that effect brain function

It’s just not worth debating but since it’s out their let’s go for it.

They have been average for at least 2 years and the proof is in the league table. People will ask why have been the only team to beat them but that’s not true, they got humped in euros by average teams, and County done them in the league cup so other teams have pumped them.

As for Scottish football, the decline of the other 10 teams has been rapid in the past 12/18 months and to the point where I would say there have been games this season that we would maybe have lost had they been better and Sunday is an example, Motherwell gave it everything for 45 minutes and couldn’t get out their half after it because the quality and fitness levels of this league are borderline amateur.

Dundee player Bonnyrigg in the Scottish cup and were probably only 1-3 players of a difference in
Levels now that’s in incredible jump in levels. You could argue Cove Rangers would bring more to our league than St Johnstone and some others and that’s why in the league they dig out draws. They have 5/6 players who don’t want to be their and that is not what makes a team so the fact is they can’t be a better team because they don’t want to be their

Must be basing it on our last meeting with them. Thing is consistency wins you the title and we are a net 12 points ahead of them, that supposes they win their games in hand. Furthermore Celtic's European effort is calamitous compared to ours.

His son is coaching their players so he’s not going to say they’re shite. He also never said we’re shite. He’s just waffling tbh.

Must be basing it on our last meeting with them. Thing is consistency wins you the title and we are a net 12 points ahead of them, that supposes they win their games in hand. Furthermore Celtic's European effort is calamitous compared to ours.
He's not saying they are better than us.

kwMQJWO.gif

This is the headline -

Celtic ‘far better team’ than Rangers despite table says Strachan​

They won that league through corruption. What country handicaps a team reaching a uefa cup final by MAKING them play 8 games in 20 days rather than extend the season. Fucking joke.

"when they play"

Hmm. I think they have been playing no?

Oh that's right, they've been playing and are 21 points behind.

Better team my airse.

Anyone claiming that Celtic are a better team than Rangers this season is clearly just seeking a headline. Whether it is the interviewee or journalist looking to be smart and twist words.

To be honest, with the number of times that we see journalists revisiting the story to give the maximum shock value on the headline then I surprised that the pool of people willing to be interviewed isn’t reducing.

He doesn’t say they are better than us, but as usual the sarcasm just oozes out of him, he thinks he is a comedian, but he’s the only one who does.

Ok he's a prick first off but to me that seems to be h saying they are better than what they are showing at the moment. Not necessarily better than us where he would have said the better team.

Amazing the amount of folk on this thread pishing their pants because they couldn't be bothered to read what he actually said.

ALL Gordon Strachan sees right now is a Rangers canter towards the Premiership crown.
It’s still only January but it’s a measure of how poor the Hoops have been throughout a calamitous campaign – a proverbial mile behind the Gers in the league, out of the Betfred Cup, out of Europe – that Strachan refuses to recognise the term ‘title race’.
Back in 2008 he sparked a sensational late Hoops comeback to secure a third successive championship – winning their last seven games, including two derbies, to pip UEFA Cup finalists Rangers who at one point had been seven points clear.

Now, though, it’s a CHASM of a gap from the Ibrox side who have a 21-point lead with 14 games left. And asked if there’s still currently a title race, Strachan told Football Pass: “No, not at the moment.“There’s not a title race. There’s a battle to start playing football again and winning points.

“Only when you get, I would say, if Celtic could get seven or eight points from them – and that’s going to be a hard get – then you could say there’s going to be a title race.“But at the moment it’s not a title race.“It’s up to the Celtic people to drag themselves back.
“There was an opportunity in the last couple of games. But they’ve had draws.“They could’ve got a couple of points closer, that’s for sure.“But, because of the circumstances, they’ve played games of football without major players.“And you need your major players – especially up front where you’ve got four of your strikers missing, including your two top ones Edouard and Griffiths
“I believe when they play – the stats, using my eyes, everybody knows it - Celtic are a far better team.”
Strachan smiled wryly over Neil Lennon’s sensational outburst on Monday – blasting ex-Celtic striker and Sky Sports pundit Andy Walker and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon while also vehemently denying the trip to Dubai amid the pandemic was a mistake.
He wonders if it was all simply a tactic by Lennon to use the platform of his first public address since returning from the UAE to fire up his team.
The 63-year-old fellow red-head has had his fair share of explosive outbursts through a memorable football career.
And of Lennon’s tirade, Strachan said of his former Celts captain: “Just when the Celtic people thought they were having a nice easy afternoon, the boys are back training, getting ready to play Livingston on Wednesday…
“Neil, who has been locked up for 10 days isolating, has got himself in a chair and I’m sure he was ready and calculated.
“Then he gave us, he gave everybody in the football world, something to talk about again.
“Talk shows, everything, will be talking about that.“And whether you admire it or whether you think it’s a bit clumsy or maybe not needed, it’s happened.“What we’ve seen is there’s an anger there – which you need as a manager.“There’s passion there – which you DEFINITELY need as a manager.“It’s also maybe given an indication to the players ‘Are you up for the fight?’.“Like, ‘If I’m going to take people on, you better be with me.’“Whether he’s right or wrong, that’s not the point.
We’ve all been there as a football manager when you think ‘This could be wrong.’“But is it right for me to say to the players ‘Are you with me?’“So that might’ve been a part of Neil’s defence.”
Strachan, meanwhile, has been knocked out by Rangers this term.
Of Steven Gerrard’s champions-elect – 21 wins, three draws, 60 goals scored, seven conceded – he said: “I think Rangers have had a lot of work on their defensive side.
“Now people think defensive side is a back four, heading the ball away and blocking things. It’s not that.
“That comes when individuals have been asked to do their jobs and they’ve been good at that.
“But as a group I think their platform for good attacking football is where they defend from.
“So, I don’t think they’ve been lucky in any way – I think their run of form has been excellent.
“You’ll probably say that maybe their flair players over the course of the last couple of months have not been as prolific, shining as they have been,“But their shape has been fantastic.
“So all credit goes to them. For all this thing about Celtic, you must give credit to Rangers who have done extremely well.
“And to take the body blows that they had last year…
“I spoke to Gary McAllister last year after this happened and I did say to him – and he knows it well – that the footballing gods make you suffer before you win something.
“And they suffered last year. They suffered as bad as what the Celtic group are going through now.“People saying this and that about them.“The fact they’ve done without any fans is fantastic.
“So they’ve done it all themselves. That’s a fantastic achievement.”
Strachan ??

a fucking idiot

There’s a saying the league table doesn’t lie , well last time I looked Rangers were 21 points better off than the paedos

I’d say Rangers were the better side

All he is saying is that he believes Septic are better with Edouard & Griffiths than they are without them. I don't see anything that says they are far better than anyone else.

Is he not saying they are a better team with the two strikers fit?

As in a better team than the depleted one they had :))

Or have I completely read that wrong.

Can only assume he means that Celtic are normally a far better team than what they are currently.

There’s no way anyone could really believe Celtic are a better side than us, surely?

Back