Strange Euro situation in the EPL

TibbsyBear

If I’m correct, I believe in the unlikely event that Liverpool and Wolves win their respective European competitions and Wolves finish top 5, the Champions League qualification spots would drop down to the 6th and 7th placed teams due to City’s ban.

Would this be right?

If I’m correct, I believe in the unlikely event that Liverpool and Wolves win their respective European competitions, the Champions League qualification spots would drop down to the 6th and 7th placed teams due to City’s ban.

Would this be right?
No. They don’t get any extra spots because teams win the Europa or Champs league

No. They don’t get any extra spots because teams win the Europa or Champs league

I thought both the winners of the Champions League and Europa League automatically qualify for the next Champions League?

If Wolves finish in the top 5 they will have already qualified.

I thought both the winners of the Champions League and Europa League automatically qualify for the next Champions League?

If Wolves finish in the top 5 they will have already qualified.
They do but they don’t get any “extra” spots.

last year Liverpool qualifies to the champions league by winning it, but their slot for coming second in the league didn’t drop to 5th.

They do but they don’t get any “extra” spots.

last year Liverpool qualifies to the champions league by winning it, but their slot for coming second in the league didn’t drop to 5th.

Ahh right, so there would only be an extra spot if the winner of the Champions League/Europa League finished outwith the top 4?

I’m sure the 6th and 7th placed teams will be delighted to learn that their “chasing the European spots” campaign has been a success.

Then promptly play all their reserves in the Europa league the following season because they can’t be arsed with the extra games.

Ahh right, so there would only be an extra spot if the winner of the Champions League/Europa League finished outwith the top 4?
Correct.

say Spurs finish 6th, but win the CL.

the top 4(as it stands excluding city) would get the CL spots plus spurs.

I’m sure the 6th and 7th placed teams will be delighted to learn that their “chasing the European spots” campaign has been a success.

Then promptly play all their reserves in the Europa league the following season because they can’t be arsed with the extra games.
I agree with this point in general and think it sums up the state of modern football, but to be fair to wolves they have taken the Europa league seriously so far

Back