Strangest formations / tactical decisions

The set up by Eck in the 0-3 home defeat to Hibs in the Scottish Cup... not long after losing 0-3 at home to Hibs in the league was one of the worst ever.

Team: Waterreus, Ricksen, Andrews, Kyrgiakos, Murray, Burke, Ferguson, Malcolm (Prso 57), Buffel, Kris Boyd, Lovenkrands (Novo 83)

Burke and Buffel were so far advanced that we basically had Barry and Bob Malcolm in midfield being overrun. To combat this he brought Prso on for Malcolm with 33 minutes left at 0-1. Hibs then immediately scored.

We spent the rest of the game in what can only be described as a 4-1-6. It was a complete mess.

Walter not going for it after we equalised against Marseille away back in 1993. They were on the rack and wobbling. We preferred instead to play out the game at 1-1. Such an opportunity in the Champions League may never come again.

It never will.

McCoist - Ramsden's Cup Final

Wallace off injured, moves Foster from right back to left back and brings on Faure(a centre half) to right back whilst keeping a left back at left wing before later on giving it ladly on the Karaoke machine to celebrate a defeat.

No one ever tell me McCoist got a raw deal. He should've been given his jotters before he left the stadium that day.

McCoist lining up against Malmo with a 5 man defence to shoehorn Davie Weir in.

First leg of a champions league qualifier against very average opposition and you would have thought we were playing Bayern or Barca.

Walter's fascination with putting players in unnatural positions is legendary. Sometimes though.....it worked.

Broadfoot at right back.
Davis right mid
Whittaker left mid

It really shouldn't have worked. But it took us to the Europa final.

McLeish's fabled 4-2-4 formation once saw Steven Thompson play left wing. Or Arveladze at left mid cause......you know.....he's left footed?

Walter in Europe Mark I.

AEK Athens, 1994. A clearly past it Gary Stevens on the left of three centre halves.

Anorthosis, 1995. A hadn't played a game in 2 years Brian Reid on the left of three centre halves.

Gothenburg, 1997. A left back who hadn't played in months, Tony Vidmar, on the left of three centre halves.
Bringing back memories, even as a youngster i thought ’whit the f@cks he daing?’

Duncan Ferguson playing as a left winger in Europe in 93. The following year against aek athens and 2 nil down from the 1st leg Basil Boli playing at right back when he was signed as a centre half. Konterman being shoehorned into midfield by McLeish as he did not trust him at centre half not a bad judge really.

The Pedro one against Motherwell is a bit harsh to mention to be honest. 3 defenders got injured so what was he suppose to do? We only had one defensive minded player on the bench, Senderos, and even then I can’t blame the man for not using him.

Plenty more baffling Pedro decisions like going too attacking against Celtic twice and getting pumped. The same team had deservedly grinded out a point at the piggery a month before under Murty

Continuing the Ally theme...

2014 Challenge Cup Final.
4-5-1 against Raith Rovers.
Ricky Foster, Lee Wallace, Steven Smith and Fraser Aird all start with Jon Daly a lone striker. Centre mid trip of Ian Black, Nicky Law and Kyle Hutton. Dean Shiels didn’t leave the bench and Barrie McKay had been punted to Morton on loan.

I still have nightmares about that day.

Pedro against motherwell

Remember the mummering around the stadium for the first 10 minutes of the second half!

Wallace off injured, moves Foster from right back to left back and brings on Faure(a centre half) to right back whilst keeping a left back at left wing before later on giving it ladly on the Karaoke machine to celebrate a defeat.

No one ever tell me McCoist got a raw deal. He should've been given his jotters before he left the stadium that day.

He should have, but the ironic thing is if he hadn't lost Naismith (to injury) and Jelavic wasn't sold from underneath him, plus if he was given the money he was promised, he probably would have had a great chance at winning the league in his first season.

If it had been the other way around, and Celtic had lost two of their best players that season, spent next to nothing and were deducted 10 points, we would have cantered to the league.

Neil Lennon has been the luckiest Celtic manager in history, only being able to win the league when we were deducted 10 points, weren't in the league, or when he has an 8 point head start. I honestly don't rate him as any better a manager than McCoist.

Not rangers related but David James going up front for man City when there was a striker on the bench
This was absolute gold! The highlights reel of his performance is just amazing watching. No idea what Pearce (I think it was Pearce) was thinking!

Walter in Europe Mark I.

AEK Athens, 1994. A clearly past it Gary Stevens on the left of three centre halves.

Anorthosis, 1995. A hadn't played a game in 2 years Brian Reid on the left of three centre halves.

Gothenburg, 1997. A left back who hadn't played in months, Tony Vidmar, on the left of three centre halves.

Under Smith and McCoist it wasn’t a surprise to find that an missing rightback wasn’t necessarily replaced with a rightback - you could see midfielders, centre backs, leftback all shuffled around to accommodate the missing player.

Was just about to post the very same. He was not a good CB!
All we had heard that season was how Hateley would be superb as a defender and as he aged it would be easy for him to move back into defence.

The basis of the argument seemed to be that Hateley was having a wonderful season as a striker and dominated the league.

One appearance shattered that idea!

McCoist against Raith Rovers in the Ramsdens Cup. Playing left backs in midfield. Absolutely clueless.

The changes Ally made when Lee Wallace got injured in the Ramsdens Cup Final defeat to Raith Rovers were bizarre.

We already had Stevie Smith playing in midfield but rather than put him to left back he put Faure on and changed about another three players positions while still keeping Smith in midfield.

This is what I was thinking of. Mental stuff from McCoist. From about 70 mins in me and everyone around me knew we were going to blow it.

Come to think of it Andy Little at RB in the KM double game.

Then having to pretend he was injured so he could be hooked after 20mins!

Have we had anything that was a bit 'different' or one that was clearly the wrong choice to make?

This thread will be all opinion based to let's keep it civil.

Personally, the 4-3-3 we had under warburton regardless of the opposition amd location was the wrong formation in many cases. His 60minutes double substitutions at times were far too predictable.
Surely Pedro playing Jon Toral in central defence must win the thread?!

Have we had anything that was a bit 'different' or one that was clearly the wrong choice to make?

This thread will be all opinion based to let's keep it civil.

Personally, the 4-3-3 we had under warburton regardless of the opposition amd location was the wrong formation in many cases. His 60minutes double substitutions at times were far too predictable.

The 4-3-3 for a wee while was absolutely brilliant to watch and we were blowing teams away every single weekend. Then St Johnstone showed the blue print at Ibrox of how to play against it and every other team just followed suit.

He was either too stubborn or just not capable enough to adapt and it cost him in the end.

McCoist, Sasa Papac Defensive Midfield.

Was only 45 mins but I was close to walking out.

I did walk out vs Hearts away, He started out with Stevie Smith LM, Who then got sent off.

His sub to change it, Ricky Fucking Foster onto LM.

I walked out as I was in danger of getting lifted I was going so mad :D

Hearts won the league that day, went 9 points clear and they knew how hopeless McCoist was.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Without doubt the lowest I have ever felt following that game

Back