Stranraer saved from financial meltdown thanks to Rangers Scottish Cup windfall

Bonnyloyal

STRANRAER have been saved from financial meltdown thanks to a £225,000 Scottish Cup windfall from their January clash at Ibrox.

But, the League One strugglers insist they are still not completely immune from the effects of the coronavirus crisis

Stranraer have already received their £175,000 share of gate receipts from Rangers and are awaiting further dividends from television and prize money.

With a number of lower league sides fearful of going to the wall over the next few months vice-chairman Shaun Niven admits his club are one of the lucky ones.

Niven said: “We were extremely fortunate in that we made a significant amount of money from our Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox in January.

“That has changed the dynamic for us and leaves us in a better position than most.

“We are one of the lucky ones yet we do not consider ourselves flush by any means.

“That money won’t last forever when there is zero revenue coming in.

“Yet, we appreciate there are a lot of clubs in a far more precarious position than us.

“Our wage bill is the smallest in the league so it is more manageable anyway.

“We will be able to keep paying all our staff until the end of their current contracts.

“All our playing staff are only contracted to mid-June.

“If everyone then leaves the club and there is no resumption date we will have to start from scratch again.

“However, In the grand scheme of things we are extremely lucky as there is a real worry there might not be some clubs when all this ends.”

Niven has also reassured fans that Stranraer, one of the best run clubs in the country, will also be able to survive relegation to League Two.

The Blues are currently eight points adrift at the foot of the table with a game in hand of second bottom Forfar.

Niven said: “There has been nothing communicated to the clubs that indicates any decision has been made about promotion and relegation

“Relegation wouldn’t kill us if they decided to keep positions as they are, but we wouldn’t just lie down and accept it.

"Just like Hearts, Partick and Brechin, who are in a similar position.

“There is still a belief that we can get ourselves out of trouble. Results were picking up before all this happened.

“We think we are good enough to get out of this. Six of our remaining nine fixtures are at home and we don’t have any of the full-time teams to play.”

I don't grudge Stranraer their cash from that match.

In the lower leagues, there were many towns who were very grateful to have 1000s of Rangers supporters turn up to watch our team play their local clubs.

Stranraer was my favourite place to go - there seemed to be a genuine feeling of goodwill from them that wasn't just about money.

Makes a lot of good points aside from the financial info.
Points out that although they are 8 points adrift they do have a game in hand, they have an easier run in having already played all of the full time teams in the league and having most of their remaining games at home, and having improved before the enforced break. Thinks they are good enough to avoid relegation if the season resumes and confirming that they won't just lie down and accept it - legal action if relegated based on current placings?

A game I'd been looking forward to with great impatience since 29 Dec. Damp squib, but well done Stranraer. The rot had inexplicably set in, even by that game.

I don't grudge Stranraer their cash from that match.

In the lower leagues, there were many towns who were very grateful to have 1000s of Rangers supporters turn up to watch our team play their local clubs.

Stranraer was my favourite place to go - there seemed to be a genuine feeling of goodwill from them that wasn't just about money.
I travelled from Dumfries on a CL night(Lee Wallace goal);and folk looked at me though I was daft as I tried to sell club tickets on a street corner on a February night in Stranraer.
(my RSC is actually Edinburgh)......I did my duty and finally got the ticket sold
at a loss (for our club))
The guys next to me inside the ground were from the Granite City Loyal.
Cap doffed to these guys.
However..........
I am the club geek;I collect autographs and love meeting the old players
I stuck around,got Super;Ian Durrant;and Derek Johnstone........ but what really needs to be mentioned here is the Stranraer lady who told me `wait there`(I`ll get you a team sheet`)....
these are the wee touches that should be recognised...... I wish all at Stranraer FC and the town itself the very best.......

STRANRAER have been saved from financial meltdown thanks to a £225,000 Scottish Cup windfall from their January clash at Ibrox.

But, the League One strugglers insist they are still not completely immune from the effects of the coronavirus crisis

Stranraer have already received their £175,000 share of gate receipts from Rangers and are awaiting further dividends from television and prize money.

With a number of lower league sides fearful of going to the wall over the next few months vice-chairman Shaun Niven admits his club are one of the lucky ones.

Niven said: “We were extremely fortunate in that we made a significant amount of money from our Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox in January.

“That has changed the dynamic for us and leaves us in a better position than most.

“We are one of the lucky ones yet we do not consider ourselves flush by any means.

“That money won’t last forever when there is zero revenue coming in.

“Yet, we appreciate there are a lot of clubs in a far more precarious position than us.

“Our wage bill is the smallest in the league so it is more manageable anyway.

“We will be able to keep paying all our staff until the end of their current contracts.

“All our playing staff are only contracted to mid-June.

“If everyone then leaves the club and there is no resumption date we will have to start from scratch again.

“However, In the grand scheme of things we are extremely lucky as there is a real worry there might not be some clubs when all this ends.”

Niven has also reassured fans that Stranraer, one of the best run clubs in the country, will also be able to survive relegation to League Two.

The Blues are currently eight points adrift at the foot of the table with a game in hand of second bottom Forfar.

Niven said: “There has been nothing communicated to the clubs that indicates any decision has been made about promotion and relegation

“Relegation wouldn’t kill us if they decided to keep positions as they are, but we wouldn’t just lie down and accept it.

"Just like Hearts, Partick and Brechin, who are in a similar position.

“There is still a belief that we can get ourselves out of trouble. Results were picking up before all this happened.

“We think we are good enough to get out of this. Six of our remaining nine fixtures are at home and we don’t have any of the full-time teams to play.”
Sounds like we have an ally for null and void with no titles or relegation

Seems decent to pay the players full wage for the next two half months rather than try to get them to take pay cut. 8 points behind with a game in hand and saying they wont accept being relegated, rightly so as they could still move out of relegation position.

During our time in the lower leagues always found them to be pretty respectful of us. Possibly due to having a staunch manager at the time which maybe helped. Good luck and hope they are one of the small club's who come through this difficult time.

Back