Strength on the bench

GF7

That is the strongest bench I can remember in a long time. Our overall squad has increased massively.

Mcglaughlin (International)
Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Defoe (bucket load of international)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)
(and Roofe to come back into squad)

Like for like we were missing similar players to them in Roofe, Aribo and Katic, Aribo got a cameo but had no game time in weeks. We have had injury worries all season so far.

The only players coming into their squad who would maybe have stengthened them today was Edouard and maybe Christie

Torque_87

Yip, very pleasing. Was something that stood out today when the teams were announced. At last, we had quality options on the bench.

colB1969

Barker played fine, actually did really well to out Kent through on goal in 2nd half.

He was there to add pace but they were so pinned back there was little chance to get in behind.
Maybe it is just me BUT if we want to get to 55 a player playing fine does not cut it. He did absolutely nothing - no mistakes so that is fine but I do not even get the quotes he has pace. Never went by a guy one in all the games he played this year. Aribo back so hopefully see the back of him

Laudrup11Cooper

That is the strongest bench I can remember in a long time. Our overall squad has increased massively.

Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)

Like for like we were missing similar players to them in Roofe, Aribo and Katic, Aribo got a cameo but had no game time in weeks. We have had injury worries all season so far.

The only players coming into their squad who would maybe have stengthened them today was Edouard and maybe Christie
Very strong.

It wasn’t till I saw that Turkish camera feed for the Galatasaray game, where everything was reversed to what we normally see from a live feed from Ibrox that I completely appreciated the way we play.
The playing out methodically from the back, and the amount of attacking play from our wing backs, and the brilliant midfield play that allows them to ghost into the penalty boxes with ease...and yet I don’t believe we have even hit anywhere near top gear yet!
This has got to be the strongest squad since ‘54.Easy!
The strength in depth is phenomenal, and the best …is yet to come!

GF7

Maybe it is just me BUT if we want to get to 55 a player playing fine does not cut it. He did absolutely nothing - no mistakes so that is fine but I do not even get the quotes he has pace. Never went by a guy one in all the games he played this year. Aribo back so hopefully see the back of him
Not every player will be a 9/10 every week. Barker had a role to play yesterday and he fulfilled it adequately, a large part of it is off the ball running, dropping into space and dragging players out of position. He did really well to put Kent through on goal and would have did similar earlier in the game from his own half but was brought down.

Kent didn't particularly hit his heights yesterday either and I wouldn't describe his performance as much better than fine as well. No blame directed to either Barker or Kent though, they had limited space to run into but their movement created space for others.

Barker is most definitely quick, although I agree he hasn't shown his pace enough when playing for us.

Aribo will take time to get back up to speed but I think wanting to see the back of Barker is harsh in the extreme.

Sct33

An
imagine if ANYONE was playing instead of Barker we would have looked even stronger. STILL cannot see what the manager sees in Him
And that's why you are commenting on a forum like this and not managing our football team.
Not every player in our team can be a 9 out of 10 or a star like Kent. Some need to do the work of keeping shape, closing down, keeping possession without doing anything glamorous.

thomsonstackle

It’s maybe the strongest bench we‘ve had since Advocaat was at his peak.

Mcleish and Walter worked miracles at times to win us honours as we didn’t have the greatest strength in depth at the time.

Reactions: TQ3

Recoba

Official Ticketer
I must say I really can't wait to see Aribo back and skinning players left right and centre

We have so many good players now it really doesn't matter who we play but we need to keep going, unlike those kunts we won't be arrogant and think its over, beat Livi and Killie is the next goal then we move forward from there.

Mynameismud

The biggest advantage celtic have had over the last couple of seasons has been having a stronger bench than us I think. The tables have now turned in that respect. We have more quality now than in recent years, hopefully it serves us well.

irvine96

Yes when I seen who was on the bench I realized it was very strong and it beggars belief how none of these players were in ahead of Brandon Barker.
Just watched the game again and didn't realise how little Barker did in the game.
He gave Kent a good through pass in 52 mins but he should be nowhere near a Rangers team and hopefully wont start on Thursday.

Sir Walter’s Warriors

Not every player will be a 9/10 every week. Barker had a role to play yesterday and he fulfilled it adequately, a large part of it is off the ball running, dropping into space and dragging players out of position. He did really well to put Kent through on goal and would have did similar earlier in the game from his own half but was brought down.

Kent didn't particularly hit his heights yesterday either and I wouldn't describe his performance as much better than fine as well. No blame directed to either Barker or Kent though, they had limited space to run into but their movement created space for others.

Barker is most definitely quick, although I agree he hasn't shown his pace enough when playing for us.

Aribo will take time to get back up to speed but I think wanting to see the back of Barker is harsh in the extreme.
Not every week obviously but honestly when has he ever given a 9/10 performance? I keep wanting to be proven wrong by him, hopefully that happens soon, but if it doesn’t no harm to the lad but we need (and do already have) better.

wee_bear

Balogun (international)
Bassey
Hagi (International)
Jack (International)
Itten (International)
Jones(International)
Aribo (International)

Strongest bench under Gerrard thus far, and Zungu/Roofe to add, very optimistic moving forward!!

GF7

Yes when I seen who was on the bench I realized it was very strong and it beggars belief how none of these players were in ahead of Brandon Barker.
Just watched the game again and didn't realise how little Barker did in the game.
He gave Kent a good through pass in 52 mins but he should be nowhere near a Rangers team and hopefully wont start on Thursday.
The thread with the tactical map diagram shows why Barker plays an important role. He is clearly very tactically disciplined

GF7

Not every week obviously but honestly when has he ever given a 9/10 performance? I keep wanting to be proven wrong by him, hopefully that happens soon, but if it doesn’t no harm to the lad but we need (and do already have) better.
If you asked me last season I would have agreed, there has been a marked improvement in him this season though.

When Aribo, Roofe and Zungu are fit I think his game time might be a bit limited.

Scoot1975

He is clearly progressing. If Barker hadn't started there would likely be critiscm of Hagi being shovelled into every other thread.
I quite like Barker and feel he gives us something extra plus the boy has pace to burn which is useful,just think at times some of the negativity on here towards him is unfair,plus we pumped them silly yesterday and someone comes on to have a pop at one of the players,folk need to take a day off

GF7

I quite like Barker and feel he gives us something extra plus the boy has pace to burn which is useful,just think at times some of the negativity on here towards him is unfair,plus we pumped them silly yesterday and someone comes on to have a pop at one of the players,folk need to take a day off
Exactly, he is clearly earning his starting slot. (although I do think he's keeping it warm for Aribo or Roofe)

change consent